• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I am "learning" Hebrew (I will always be a very beginner because of my lack of memorization skills) via Pratico & Van Pelt "Basics of Biblical Hebrew"...and I am working on cardinal numbers...one of the exercises is Ex 34:28...the instant details box show "four" as the translation ...while the translation uses "forty"...what am I missing...I attaching a screen shot for reference...Thanks for your help..

Frank

I do not see the screenshot and I am not sure how to get to it again...but I did use a command to attach it..

Edited by fmcfee, 11 February 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,421 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

The "Gloss" shown in the Instant Details is simply the basic meaning of the original word, not the translation of this specific form in this context. Since ʾarbāʿı̂m is derived from ʾarbā which means "four", that is the basic meaning given here.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

The "Gloss" shown in the Instant Details is simply the basic meaning of the original word, not the translation of this specific form in this context. Since ʾarbāʿı̂m is derived from ʾarbā which means "four", that is the basic meaning given here.

Helen,

Thank you for your help...I "missed" that it was a plural an thus meant 40......
Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users