5 replies to this topic

#1 paulworden

paulworden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Can you think of an argument in Accordance that will let me search to if γάρ is found at the end of any other verses/sentences in the NT/Bible/Mark? (Mark 16:8)

#2 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

If you are looking for the exact location as that in Mark 16:8, you don't need a syntax search (defined technically as Accordance defines a 'syntax search'). You can use the field to specify that you are looking for the word to occur at the end of a clause with this: gar <WITHIN 1 Words> [Field End]
  • paulworden likes this

#3 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks James
As an additional thought, you should to define your scope as well: as a verse (for verse end) or sentence or clause (&c). The clause option only works if you have the syntax module for that text installed (for GNT-T and HMT-W4) I think.

If you don't define your scope, it Wil default to a verse.

Edited by Ken Simpson, 07 September 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#4 Jonathan C. Borland

Jonathan C. Borland

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

If you are looking for the exact location as that in Mark 16:8, you don't need a syntax search (defined technically as Accordance defines a 'syntax search'). You can use the field to specify that you are looking for the word to occur at the end of a clause with this: gar <WITHIN 1 Words> [Field End]

Working from the iOS, I'm not sure why James' search yields only one result (Mark 16:8), but when increasing to within 3 words that result is absent but others are present, such as John 13:13 where the sentence in NA27 ends in γαρ.

As for the OP in relation to the ending of Mark, the real importance is not whether a sentence may end with γαρ (since it does so even in the long ending), but whether sizable compositions ever ended so. I think there is enough evidence now that composers on occasion did in fact end their compositions with γαρ.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

Edited by Jonathan C. Borland, 07 September 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#5 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Working from the iOS, I'm not sure why James' search yields only one result (Mark 16:8), but when increasing to within 3 words that result is absent but others are present, such as John 13:13 where the sentence in NA27 ends in γαρ.

As for the OP in relation to the ending of Mark, the real importance is not whether a sentence may end with γαρ (since it does so even in the long ending), but whether sizable compositions ever ended so. I think there is enough evidence now that composers on occasion did in fact end their compositions with γαρ.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

I suspect the iOS/Mac difference may be related to the scope (although I haven't verified this; once I get a sec to check I will).

EDIT: Just checked (as I was seasoning the broccoli), I can get the same results. You just need to ensure that you set the scope to clause.

Edited by James Tucker, 07 September 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Jonathan C. Borland

Jonathan C. Borland

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Very cool, James, and amazing that the iOS Accordance can do searches like this. Thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users