Concordance Details

Tom Wagler

I did a search for [KEY G4102] in KJVS and received 244 hits. When I look at the Details window> Analysis, I see this:

[KEY G4102] (244 total words)

assurance = 1

G4102 pistis pi÷stiß = 1

belief = 1

G4102 pistis pi÷stiß = 1

believe = 1

G4102 pistis pi÷stiß = 1

believeth = 1

G4102 pistis pi÷stiß = 1

faith = 239

G4102 pistis pi÷stiß = 239

fidelity = 1

G4102 pistis pi÷stiß = 1

I assumed then that when I go to the "Concordance" window, I will see short excerpts of how and were this specific usage of [KEY G4102] and the english words appear. Instead I see a long irrelevant list of each of these english words, spanning the old and new testament. For example, I expected to see only Rom 3:26 for the word "believeth". Instead I saw an exhaustive list of all usages of "believeth". I then used the search [KEY G4102] <AND> believeth and found Rom 3:26 along with Rom 4:5. This seems a bit labor intensive. Is there no way to limit the concordance to display only the relevant data? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Thanks for your assistance.

Tom Wagler

We have long planned to allow the Concordance to sort by Key number, but it has never made it onto the list of new features. Sorry about that. However, in your case you simply need to search for [KEY G4102] @ believeth. The @ specifies that both search terms must occure on the same word, whereas tells Accordance to find them in the same Verse.

Do watch the Podcasts or look through the Help pages on Key numbers. There is so much that you can do with them, even if Concordance isn't one of them.

Hi Tom, maybe I am misunderstanding your issue here, but it seems to me to acting the way it should.

What Accordance is doing is searching for the key G4102, and then the analysis shows the English that KJVS has tagged to that. A concordance of the KJV then doesn't list the key numbers, but the english words (hence why believeth is found in the OT). It's a complete list of the occurrences of the English word.

I don't know of any setting to change this behaviour.

As a side note, your search [KEY G4102] <AND> believeth will only find verses where the two words [KEY G4102] and believeth are in the same verse. In this case it works fine, but the way to specify that search more accurately would be believeth@[KEY G4102] this would look for all the occurrences of the word believeth that are also [KEY G4102].

The easy way to do this is to open an analysis window, select the key number under the English meaning you want, then right click and "Search In..." and select your text. This then opens a new tab with the results that just search for that key when it is translated the way you selected.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else knows something I don't...

And Helen answered as I was!

Edited by Ken Simpson

The easy way to do this is to open an analysis window, select the key number under the english meaning you want, then right click and "Search In..." and select your text. This then opens a new tab with the results that just search for that key when it is translated the way you selected.

Thanks to both of you that responded, and thanks for the tip on the @ symbol. I was hoping there would be a way to only see a concordance results for a certain search range. i.e. - New Testament.

Thanks again, Tom

Hi Tom,

that you can do, but it's a little circuitous.

If you do your search and constrain the search to the New Testament, when you do a concordance it will show everything. However, if you set the concordance display (CMD-T when the concordance zone is active) then you can select the option "Search range only" and it will get rid of all the "fluff"

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi Tom,

that you can do, but it's a little circuitous.

If you do your search and constrain the search to the New Testament, when you do a concordance it will show everything. However, if you set the concordance display (CMD-T when the concordance zone is active) then you can select the option "Search range only" and it will get rid of all the "fluff"

Thanks again, this is helpful, and I'm sorry for not being real clear here. I guess I said it better in the original post. I would like to limit concordance results to "Search Range" and "Key Number". That way I scan over the list quickly and see the English usage with one or two words of context. I guess my options are hoping that Accordance fast-tracks this feature. =) Please. =) Thanks again for the support! Accordance support is second to none.

Blessings,

Tom

• 8 months later...
Question Regarding Concordance Results

I’m using Accordance 10.1.7 when I do the following:

1- Using KJVS... I go to James 1:21 and do a key number search after selecting the word “receive”.

2- That gives me 59 hits and as I scroll through the hits everything looks fine. I see the various English words the KJV uses when that Greek word is translated.

3- When I open the Analytics... each tab shows the expected results except one... the Concordance. I’m getting Old Testament Verses are showing up when the search I did was done using a greek key number.

It appears that the Concordance results still can’t be limited to Key Number Searches

or is there a setting that will do this now in 10.1.7?

Concordance results are still word based, and can only be limited to the range you searched.

• 8 months later...

This is slightly off topic. Can one create a concordance containing all the words of a small biblical book like Ecclesiastes?

(I would be doing this for the Hebrew text.)

Type "* <AND> [RANGE Ecc]" without the quotation marks, then choose Concordance.

Silver,

I copy/pasted the search that you recommended but the results came up for the whole BHS. Why is this?

Hey Gorab1,

[RANGE ?] restricts the output of the search not the search itself, in most cases. Using a search range restricts the search. So by the search box click the little plus icon and select range and set it to a range for Ecclesiastes, which you may have to define yourself. Then go to the gear wheel icon on the upper right of the concordance pane. The pull has a Contents subheading. Select Search range only. That should do it.

thx

D

Daniel,

Perfect! Thank you.

Can I view the concordance menu without doing a concordance search first?

I'm on windows.

Oh Windows - no problem. Works the same way.

But the problem with getting the concordance menu first is that you have to open an analytics tab. To do that you need to run a search (analytics are based on the results of the search), at which point you'll see the analytics icon appear and you can open the tab. But once you have it open and configured the way you want you can run as many searches as you want and the results will update in that tab with each search.

Thx

D

To All,

Thanks for the help! Success. The Ecclesiastes Concordance will be a great help to me. BTW, the form of the Concordance which includes the entire Biblia Hebraica is also tremendously useful for it gives you access to all the verses where lexemes from Ecclesiastes (only) appear elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible.

Ray Van Leeuwen