• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Blues and Jazz guitar. Rainy days. Assembly Language Programming. Massorah studies & Bible translation.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

The next patch set for Lion left Lion at 10.7.5 but brought Safari up to Version 6.0.1 (7536.26.14). The Accordance 10 Help System works fine at this point.

#22 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,039 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

Thank you for reporting back to us. So glad you have it fixed now.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#23 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Blues and Jazz guitar. Rainy days. Assembly Language Programming. Massorah studies & Bible translation.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

Thank you for reporting back to us. So glad you have it fixed now.

Yes, it is indeed working. I'm preparing to install Mountain Lion over the currently existing Lion install in an attempt to see if the working lingering bits of javascript in Lion are necessary to have working javascript in Safari under Mountain Lion. If patching Lion to Mountain Lion results in Safari being able to run the javascript in the Accordance 10's Help System whereas a clean installation of Mountain Lion has a Safari that will not work with the Accordance 10 Help System then it will be interesting to see what brand new Macs that have never had Lion installed are going to do with the Help System in Accordance 10.

#24 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

I've had two rMBP (Apple replaced my former with a brand new machine) that both came with Mountain Lion, and both worked fine with Accordance 10 Help with Safari set and used as the default browser.

Edited by James Tucker, 08 October 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#25 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

I just finished patching Lion over to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the Help System in Accordance 10 works.

A clean install of Mountain Lion doesn't result with Safari being usable to view the Accordance 10 Help System whereas a Lion to Mountain Lion patch does.

I may go ahead an do another clean install of Mountain Lion and then check file permissions to see if the Mountain Lion that is downloadable via App Store is installing with incorrect permissions that would result in javascript problems.

#26 Deborah Hemstreet

Deborah Hemstreet

• Accordance
  • 35 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

You should also verify that Javascript is fully enabled for your browser.

For Safari:

To turn webpage features back on:

• Choose Safari > Preferences and click Security.

• Make sure these checkboxes are selected: Enable plug-ins, Enable Java, and Enable JavaScript.

• Make sure this checkbox is not selected: “Block pop-up windows.”

Please see this help page for more information if you are not using Safari: http://java.com/en/d...ble_browser.xml

I hope this is helpful.

Deborah Hemstreet

In HIS Grace

#27 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

I tried another route to get the clean Mountain Lion installation that I'm looking for. After setting up Mountain Lion I installed Accordance 10 and tried the Help System. It displays the empty/blank areas on the navigation framework again. I then set up Safari so that the Develop tab is accessible and selected Show Error Console. The Safari browser doesn't appear to be hanging up on any javascript, but rather is hanging up because of this:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Data/HelpSystem.xml. Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP.

It appears that this HelpSystem.xml file contains a reference to a file on the hard drive and XMLHttpRequest is rather expecting the referenced file to be served via an http server. The specific reference in the HelpSystem.xml file that XMLHttpRequest is expecting to be served up by an http server (and not read off a local filesystem) is content/topics/01_welcome_help/welcome_to_accordance.htm

Perhaps another soul with ML installed along with the latest Safari that has a working Help System could enable the Develop aspect of Safari and see if this error comes up in Show Error Console for them.

Thank you!

Edited by Michael Miles, 10 October 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#28 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

I don't see that error, but ML was installed over Lion on my machine.

#29 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Michael:

I mentioned this earlier and haven't seen any response where you tried this suggestion. I would almost guarantee you have javascript disabled in Safari. If you enable it, the Accordance help system will likely work. With it disabled, one gets exactly the white screen to which you keep referring. Please check your preferences in Safari and see if javascript is enabled.
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#30 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Michael:

I mentioned this earlier and haven't seen any response where you tried this suggestion. I would almost guarantee you have javascript disabled in Safari. If you enable it, the Accordance help system will likely work. With it disabled, one gets exactly the white screen to which you keep referring. Please check your preferences in Safari and see if javascript is enabled.

Hi Greg,

I checked this a long time ago and javascript has been enabled all along. I've disabled it and re-enabled it as well.

What is actually causing the hang that results in blank aspects to the navagation system is an XML error that Safari itself is reporting.

#31 Deborah Hemstreet

Deborah Hemstreet

• Accordance
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I will put in a support request with the Help compiler people that I work with. I doubt that this is a Help-files related problem since the Help works for everyone else (unless Java is disabled), but who knows, maybe they can give me a clue as to what you are looking for. It will take a couple of days to get an answer from them, so please let me know if there is any progress in solving the problem. I hope this helps.

Deborah
In HIS Grace

#32 Ryan Gustason

Ryan Gustason

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Perhaps another soul with ML installed along with the latest Safari that has a working Help System could enable the Develop aspect of Safari and see if this error comes up in Show Error Console for them.

No error listed such as you have, but my install was an upgrade from Lion.

#33 Ryan Gustason

Ryan Gustason

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

One interesting thing though. Disable Java, Javascript, or both... get Accordance frame with blank pages. Click command-R no change. Open "Show error console" and still white panes, but now click Command-R and it all loads and appears normal.

One interesting thing when googling the "Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP" error it seems that this is actually a security "feature" for not allowing malicious scripts to run from a local file using javascript (or AJAX) in it.

Edited by Ryan G, 11 October 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#34 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

I will put in a support request with the Help compiler people that I work with. I doubt that this is a Help-files related problem since the Help works for everyone else (unless Java is disabled), but who knows, maybe they can give me a clue as to what you are looking for. It will take a couple of days to get an answer from them, so please let me know if there is any progress in solving the problem. I hope this helps.

Deborah

Thank you very much!

I've attached three screen captures that illustrate what I see on my end with a clean Mountain Lion installation and Accordance 10.0.4.

Attached Files

#35 Deborah Hemstreet

Deborah Hemstreet

• Accordance
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

I put in the help request, we will see if they have any insites. Your screen captures look just like the ones related to Java errors though... except for the last one... I filed the help request before you posted, so I can't send them screen capture until they reply. I can't promise they will be able to help... but we shall see. In the meantime, could you please verify the following:

Visit the following links and advise if you can view the pages. (I know they will ask for something similar, so I might as well have the answer ready now). Thanks!

http://webhelp.madca...re8/Default.htm

http://accordancefil...V10/Default.htm

http://accordancefil...OSX/Default.htm

http://accordancefil...ile/Default.htm
In HIS Grace

#36 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

I put in the help request, we will see if they have any insites. Your screen captures look just like the ones related to Java errors though... except for the last one... I filed the help request before you posted, so I can't send them screen capture until they reply. I can't promise they will be able to help... but we shall see. In the meantime, could you please verify the following:

Visit the following links and advise if you can view the pages. (I know they will ask for something similar, so I might as well have the answer ready now). Thanks!

http://webhelp.madca...re8/Default.htm

http://accordancefil...V10/Default.htm

http://accordancefil...OSX/Default.htm

http://accordancefil...ile/Default.htm

Here are screen captures for each of your four requests in the order that you listed them.

Thank you for looking into this.

Attached Files

#37 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Disable Local File Restrictions in the Safari Develop tab plus a browser refresh gets the Accordance 10.0.4 Help System working on a clean Mountain Lion installation.

In the first screen capture attached to this email you can see the normal blank Accordance 10 Help system in a clean installation of Mountain Lion when viewed with Safari 6.

In the second screen capture I illustrate how to use the Develop tab to disable local file restrictions. You can enable the Develop tab by going to Preferences in Safari and then entering the Advanced area and then clicking on the "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

The third screen capture is the results of disabling local file restrictions via the Develop tab ~before~ refreshing the browser.

The fourth screen capture shows the Accordance 10 Help System working in a clean Mountain Lion installation.

I'm going to see if I can turn over any rocks on my end to see if I can come up with anything else. I'm glad that it's working, but not too keen that I have to resort to tweaking the browser via the Develop tab to get it working.

Attached Files

#38 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

From what I'm seeing here, the "Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP" error is the cause of this and this error seems to be valid as the use of XMLHttpRequest specifically disallows referencing a file on the local filesystem. Using the Develop tools in Safari to disable local file restrictions serves as a way for developers to circumvent being disallowed from using the local filesystem to "serve" up code that should correctly be served up by an http server.

http://developer.app...loperTools.html

It looks to be that perhaps Apple is tightening up security and what things that may have slipped between the cracks prior to Mountain Lion are maybe now being enforced. The fact that I am able to access the online version of the Accordance 10 Help System without tweaking the browser to disable local file restrictions, while having to do just that to access my local version pretty much spells out that XMLHttpRequest is now enforcing the cross origin requests security feature that disallows local filesystem access.

#39 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Debra & others:

Let's be real clear. Disabling Java has no negative effect on the Help System. Disabling Javascript causes the dreaded white screen. Java and Javascript are two entirely different things. Even though they both have Java in their name, they are TOTALLY unrelated to each other.
  • Michael Miles likes this
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#40 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

-deleted-

Edited by Michael Miles, 15 October 2012 - 12:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users