#1 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

You have Learning Theology with the Church Fathers, and have just released Worshiping with the Church Fathers, but are you planning on release the first volume by C. A. Hall, Reading Scriptures with the Church Fathers.

-dan

#2 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,732 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

We requested this initially and the publisher was unable to provide an e-text for it. We can add it to our list of items to ask about again, but I do not know if that situation has changed.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#3 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Rick,

I know for a fact that an etext exists. Amazon has one for sale.

Edited by Greg Terry, 24 October 2012 - 08:08 PM.

Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#4 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Rick,

I know for a fact that an etext exists. Amazon has one for sale.

Yes, I am aware of it. The publisher still maintained that they did not have its source. This may have changed, but that was the situation when we originally sought these titles.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#5 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Wouldn't it be possible to take the text from the Amazon file, I mean IVP owns the text and if you get right to reduce it should it matter how you get the text? I know it is a no no to take someone else's PD files but Etext seems to be less so since you are paying for the right to publish the text. As I understand it Amazon;s security is pretty week the same one used in the the old mobi files, which I had to remove the DMR from to convert them for use on my iPad and reading on my mac.

-Dan
PS: I do not distribute files illegally just insist on being able to use files I legally own.

#6 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Wouldn't it be possible to take the text from the Amazon file, I mean IVP owns the text and if you get right to reduce it should it matter how you get the text? I know it is a no no to take someone else's PD files but Etext seems to be less so since you are paying for the right to publish the text. As I understand it Amazon;s security is pretty week the same one used in the the old mobi files, which I had to remove the DMR from to convert them for use on my iPad and reading on my mac.

-Dan
PS: I do not distribute files illegally just insist on being able to use files I legally own.

Yes, it should be possible (and I thought of it), but it wasn't offered to us as an option.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#7 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Amazon's proprietary format isn't monolithic. If the book were in topaz format, it's not as easy as removing the DRM to access the HTML (suc as the MOBI or KF8). If this volume were Topaz, it would also grant understanding to the original publishers claim that they didn't have an e-text.

#8 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have only had to remove drm off the few mobi titles i had and tried it on my ereader files, fortunately while there was no need to ever remove drm on the ereader books since the reader while no longer supported works fine on my phone and iPad even under iOS 6. Big publishers are a major bane, buy up good little companies and put them out of business. Stanza worked wonderfully for all ebooks, including ereader, then that last release before amazon pulled the plug removed ereader support. EREADER (Fictionwise) of course was bought up by barns and noble and refused to update the software when apple asked store links to be removed. All BN and AMAZON have done is give me reasons to to purchase from Apple iBooks, I still do buy from Amazon sometimes but i will refrain for couple years from buying this book hoping eventually accordance can get it...

-Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users