Feature Requested for the Main Accordance Webpages

Enoch

In trying to figure out just what commentaries on what books I own,

I got to the New International Greek Testament Commentaries .

But in the Accordance product description, it does not list what books the set covers or doesn't cover.

I have found this same problem elsewhere, though sometimes a reviewer mentions that info in a review.

In this case, the review mentions that the set is incomplete, or I would not have known so, but it doesn't give a list of what books are or are not covered.

Perhaps a feature chart could be provided somewhere; or perhaps you already have it, and I missed it. Such a chart would list the 66 books of the Bible on one axis and the commentary sets on another axis, putting an X in the chart where the commentary has a particular book. Now if that were easily printable, that would also be helpful.

You have posted essentially the same issues in multiple topics at the same time. This makes it hard to reply to them all.

You have a valid question. There is no one simple solution, but there are a number of options:

• The product page for the commentary usually lists the volumes or links to an article which does.
  • The browser pane when the commentary is open in a Tool tab lists the volumes. See below.
  • You can create a search all group in your Library with your multi-volume commentaries. Search on a book name and while you do also get hits in other fields, the results tell you which field has a hit and therefore which commentaries include a title for that book. See below.

CommentaryBrowser.png

SearchAll.png

"The browser pane when the commentary is open in a Tool tab lists the volumes"

I shall have to study that answer. Thanks for it. Sorry, but it makes no sense to me.

"the browser pane": I'm not sure what that is. I think of a pane as a window that is open that has text in it, like a Bible version. I wasn't aware that Accordance had something called a "browser," like Firefox.

"open in a Tool tab": I don't know how something could be open in a tab, since"tab"refers to a tab, i.e., a little bump at the top of

a divider between groups of papers on a subject.

When I search help from the accordance program for "browser pane," nothing relevant results.

So, I will tinker with the program & see if I can get something like what you refer to.

Postscript, after tinkering, I note that there is a little doo-hickey, consisting or peculiar blue bars at the left of the search window, to which you helpfully put a cursor-arrow. And I find that clicking on that does list the volumes.

This problem impinges on different categories of the forum. One is feature request, another is technical assistance. One addresses getting Accordance to improve the program and another seeks help using the program. Thus it was appropriate to address this issue under different topics with its different ramifications, since Accordance set up the forum that way.

But I think what is really needed is a chart that lists the 66 books on one axis and the commentary sets on the other axis with an X in the resulting slots so that one can see what Accordance offers on a particular book.

Probably to be included besides the sets would be commentaries on individual books (not in sets). So it would be easy to see what Accordance offers (for example) on Obadiah.

And while you are at it, you might list the 66 books and then under each book name give the commentaries available. So when one comes to Obadiah in the list, one finds like this:

1. Karl Marx: Individual Commentary on the Economic Implications of Obadiah,

2. Keil and Delitzsch: Obadiah in the set K & D Commentary on the OT,

3. Douglas Adams: Set: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Minor Prophets,

etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Enoch

"The browser pane when the commentary is open in a Tool tab lists the volumes"

I shall have to study that answer. Thanks for it. Sorry, but it makes no sense to me.

"the browser pane": I'm not sure what that is. I think of a pane as a window that is open that has text in it, like a Bible version. I wasn't aware that Accordance had something called a "browser," like Firefox.

Enoch

The images Helen attached illustrate the browser for a tool and for a "search all." It is the portion of the window on the left. It has a hierarchy, so if you open it by clicking on the icon (like at Helen's first image; the icon is where her cursor is). If you then click on the triangles next to each line, it will open to show subsections.

Opening the browser in your will let you see what volumes are in each series (the Biblical book or books), and you can then drill down to the appropriated chapter, verse (or introductory or supplementary material it has, depending on the resource).

Note that the browser is for tools (and in a modified form for search all); it would not be necessary for texts since they have chapter and verse. It is worth familiarizing yourself with this feature. See file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/the_tool_browser_and_tool_pane.htm

Hope this helps!