#1 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Hey folks. What is your preference? Do you prefer the tabbed feature of Accordance or do you perform all your studies in separate windows??

Ive found that I generally use the tabbed feature but I'm interested in seeing what are others are doing.

If you dont mind, share a little bit of your workflow for your favorite method of using Accordance.
In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

#2 joel barber

joel barber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

I use separate windows but was unaware of the tabbed feature. How does this work?

#3 John Allard

John Allard

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

Generally I will use panes for working with parallel texts and commentaries, tabs for working with broad searches, and then will use separate windows for language tools like BDAG.

#4 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Generally I will use panes for working with parallel texts and commentaries, tabs for working with broad searches, and then will use separate windows for language tools like BDAG.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the difference between panes and separate windows?? I didnt know there was a difference between them.
In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

#5 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

I use separate windows but was unaware of the tabbed feature. How  does this work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Under Accordance 6.5 --> Preferences --> General, select the check box next to Open initial window as workspace with tabs. Click Ok.

Now, any time you hit Command - N, or any New Tool selection from the File menu, it will open a window with tabs. Any new tool that you open or any amplification you do to a module/tool will open a new tab within the same window.

Hope this helps.
In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

#6 David Glasgow

David Glasgow

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music, Diversity

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:12 AM

Hi Tom--

I use tabs all the time in Safari, because the various "windows" (i.e., web pages) I have open at any given moment don't usually have anything to do with each other. I only need to see one of them at a time, but I can treat all of my Safari tabs as a single "layer" in the hierarchy of windows stacked up on my screen.

In Accordance, though, when I have more than one window open it's usually because I'm working with both (or all) of those windows on the same project. In such cases, I like to be able to see all of my windows--English text, original-language text, commentaries, study tools, notes, etc.--at the same time, so I can simply glance back and forth between them. (I'm one of those people you see sprawled out across an entire table in the library, with a laptop in the center and 14 books lying open in an arc around him....)

One of the "symptoms" of this style of work is that I have several saved "Sessions" that I've created for various common tasks: my basic session is a single window with a few favorite English translations in parallel, plus my personal notes in a pane at the bottom. My "Greek" session has the GNT, NAS95S, and my personal translation in parallel, with my personal notes, plus a separate window with the BDAG off to the side, ready for me to call it to action with a triple-click. Likewise, I have special window arrangements saved for Hebrew studies (with KB), worship planning (with the lectionary tool), Map work, Timeline work, etc.

I tried working with tabs in Accordance once, but found it involved way too much tab-switching for my delicate brain. I couldn't keep track of which tab I was looking at. Saved sessions lets me "learn" where on the screen I want to look for each particular "type" of information or resource.

Just my style.... :)
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
than one closed by belief." --Gerry Spence

#7 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for that reply David. That is the exact type of information I was hoping to get into this thread. Very interesting methodology you have there.

Any others?
In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

#8 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:49 AM

Personally, being an avid fan of tabbed Safari browsing and Adium IMming, I always use the tabbed workspaces in Accordance. One of the biggest things I use with that also is the Ctrl-Tab and Shift-Ctrl-Tab key combinations. It cycles through (backwards with the shift) the tabs, so I don't always have to go finding the correct tab I want to go to. Again, most of my Accordance work is done on my laptop with a less-than-ideal screensize, so realestate is very important. I'd imagine if I had more screen space, I'd prefer the window set up, so that I'd have instant access to what I wanted.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#9 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:45 AM

Thanks Joel. All of my work is done on my iBook so screen space is at a premium as well. Thank you for posting.
In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

#10 John Allard

John Allard

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

[/quote]
What is the difference between panes and separate windows?? I didnt know there was a difference between them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

I'm sorry, what I meant was that when I am using for instance the NASB and the GNT, I will click add pane so I can see them side by side, but when I triple click a word, I have it set up so BDAG will show up in a new, independant window from the other two so I can do a word study just in that lexicon. When I am done, I will close out the BDAG window and go back to my two original panes.

Check out my screenshot if you have time.

Attached File  Picture_1.png   257.91KB   81 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users