Green numbers in Papyrus text

Outis

Hello,

I'm running into this problem: in the GNT-PAP text there are these green numbers (e.g. look at Hebrews 10:22 for P46). When I click on them it says that the appropriate tools cannot be found. What is it exactly that I'm missing?

I can replicate this behavior.

There is a GNTPAP-M Notes tool, but not a GNTPAP-C Notes tool. If you look at Heb 10:22 in P46 L32v, you can click on the green numbers (e.g. [415]) and it will work.

Is this a bug? It would seem that a separate GNTPAP-C Notes file would be redundant.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Thanks for looking into this, guys.

This isn't necessarily a bug; everything is functioning by design. But, it might be a case for a request to allow these footnotes in GNTPAP-C to open GNTPAP-M Notes.

To explain further, GNTPAP-M is the main text of this resource; all the texts are arranged in "manuscript" order (as they are in the original publication). The Notes that accompany it are organized in the same manner and hence can be opened in parallel. These are treated as a separate corpus in Accordance.

GNTPAP-C is an artificial resource we generated in-house based on the same programming employed to collate the DSS fragments for DSSB-M (making DSSB-C). It is arranged in "canonical" order and is therefore treated in the same corpus as other Biblical texts. Since the feature in Accordance to open footnotes (or display them in Instant Details) uses the corpus' referencing system, it doesn't work here since GNTPAP-M doesn't use the same system as GNTPAP-C. This might be possible since that reference is embedded in the text, but that would need to be a feature request since there is currently no precedent for supporting this.

I hope this helps to explain things…

Thanks Rick,

Your explanation is clear. And it explains why, when I tried to open up the notes from the GNT-PAP manuscript order file it worked just fine. I find the "in house" notes very helpful. But I find that having to open a separate window with the manuscript order text and accompanying footnotes file quite cumbersome.

Would there be a way to compromise? Would it be easier (from a development perspective) to make it so that when I hover the cursor over the green note it pops up the information in the instant details box than to make or remake the notes file into one that matches the canonical order?

Would there be a way to compromise? Would it be easier (from a development perspective) to make it so that when I hover the cursor over the green note it pops up the information in the instant details box than to make or remake the notes file into one that matches the canonical order?

This is what I was alluding to as the feature request. Anything is possible, but I don't know what kind of priority it will get given it is the only resource like this and, although cumbersome, it is possible to get the information in another way.

For what it's worth, I've used these resources extensively in my own research, so I fully understand that this would be nice. But it hasn't been that bad to open the Notes in a separate zone/tab and just search for the desired reference. Given the many, many other items that are planned for development, it is not likely that this will be a priority.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1