#9 Inductive Bible Study, 2 podcasts

Helen Brown

In these two podcasts Dr. J has exceeded his own high standards, and helped any student of the Bible to dig into the text for themselves. He illustrates the popular Inductive Bible Study method with very practical examples, as well as clearly explaining the principles behind the method.

There are frequent questions on this Forum on how to use Accordance for Inductive Bible Study: now you have the answer!

Thanks for making these podcasts available, they are helpful.

I'm a lay user of Accordance, and pretty new to structured Bible study on my own. I'd just like to say a big Thank You for these two podcasts, as they've really opened up not just how to make better use of Accordance as a layperson, but much more importantly, how to properly study Scripture with it. Thank you, Dr J!

I wonder if there are even more ways of studying Scripture apart from the inductive method, while using Accordance -- I've learnt a lot from the Accordance blog as well on this, but if there are other well-known methods like IBS, I'd be much obliged if someone could point me in the right direction.

I wonder if there are even more ways of studying Scripture apart from the inductive method, while using Accordance -- I've learnt a lot from the Accordance blog as well on this, but if there are other well-known methods like IBS, I'd be much obliged if someone could point me in the right direction.

First thing I would say is to check out the ESV study bible podcast. It's one of Dr J's classics now :)

In the IBS podcast, you'll see the part of study that Accordance really helps out with is "Investigation." You didn't mention what level or kind of package you have, but with any of them, you could spend hours investigating the background, history, theology and devotional resources for a single verse!

You can also do word studies with Accordance that are unrivaled IMHO. Check out the Video lessons from the DVD or online to learn more about how to dig deeper.

The last one I'll suggest here is Topical study. Accordance has some great resources here Nave's, NIV Naves, Topical Textbook, Thompson Chain, etc... Almost all the "Dictionary" resources are also great resources to do topical studies as well. I find IVP to be one of the strongest packages for lay people along these lines.

Finally, there's actually a module called "Beginning in Mark" that was put together as a guide to using various features of accordance. All of this content is also covered in the Video lessons (from my quick review), but might be nice to have right inside the tool.

Thanks for all these suggestions!

I have indeed checked out all of Dr J's podcasts, including the one on the ESV study Bible. Fantastic resource.

I splurged on the Premier library collection, as well as the IVP package, but that meant having so many resources that I really needed help working out what sort of workflow or structure to hang them on. It's really easy for me to get sidetracked by going off on a word study tangent at one moment, then scooting off to a topical study that presents itself next. I should put together some sort of to-do list, I know!

The podcasts, blog and forum have really helped with this, as have Knowing Scripture by RC Sproul. The Beginning in Mark module was helpful too.

Thanks again!

Archived