Narrowing searches within Tools

R. Mansfield

As it now stands, searches in tools can be narrowed down to every occurrence within a paragraph when search for multiple, but not necessarily contiguous words. I wonder how possible it would be to narrow this further--to search down to the sentence level?

You could use the WITHIN command to specify a proximity of no more than 20 words or so. That won't avoid running across sentence boundaries, but it will avoid far-flung occurrences within the same paragraph.

You could use the WITHIN command to specify a proximity of no more than 20 words or so. That won't avoid running across sentence boundaries, but it will avoid far-flung occurrences within the same paragraph.

That's a good idea; thanks.

I wonder, also if some of the extra search parameters could be added to the search all function.

If I run a search all tools for three words (each separated by ), it would be helpful at the initial search to narrow to paragraphs and then paragraphs that have mention of particular scripture references. In other words, I'm having to go to each result of my search across multiple tools, and then having to narrow to paragraph and scripture reference under the More Options. If I could set these parameters from the beginning, it would save a little time.

Granted, using the within command as you suggest makes narrowing to the paragraph unnecessary, but would at least save the step of narrowing to results that also include a particular scripture reference.

Archived