WBC for $299.00: Do it if you can

Abram K-J

Hey folks: that's Elijah asking, not Enoch.

Oops! Sorry, Elijah! Correction made. This old-school OT name (Abram) got the other two (Enoch and Elijah) confused!

Another +1 to WBC generally being more technical. I only have a couple of NICNT volumes, but there are other series (Pillar) that seem somewhat comparable to the NICNT, while there's nothing else in my library that handles the technical stuff in quite the same way as the WBC.

It does seem like in the commentary world in general there are more technical or semi-technical volumes for the Greek NT. This is another reason I like the WBC, as Jonathan said--it gives me something technical for both the OT and the NT, the former of which I don't have much else on.

Me, too. Sorry, Elijah!

If the company offering this WBC series has offered it to both OliveTree and Accordance, I haven't yet seen an explanation as to why the olivetree set has 60 volumes and the Accordance set has only 58 volumes. Can someone explain this please?

It might have gotten buried in this growing thread, but Rick responded here.

As someone who has used both Olive Tree and Accordance, I would guess that Olive Tree can take the same etext Accordance has received from a publisher and turn it into an OT module more quickly, since OT does less "tagging," etc. in their modules. They both do hyperlinking throughout, but Accordance, by contrast, tags the module so that it's searchable using different fields (Greek, Hebrew, manuscripts, etc.).

Rick or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but my hunch is that in terms of sheer hours, it just takes longer to turn the same commentary into an Accordance-ready module vs. an Olive Tree one.

Is there any other commentary series than WBC that goes into similar or even more depth in regard to the text in the original language?

Edited by Elijah

Elijah: for the New Testament, there is the New International Greek Testament Commentary (NIGTC), as well as Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (BECNT) that go in-depth with Greek.

For the Old Testament, the New American Commentary (NAC) volumes I've used have a lot of Hebrew explanation in the footnotes, even though those volumes are based on the English NIV translation. Hermeneia and the International Critical Commentary (ICC, and the only one mentioned so far that is not in Accordance) do some heavy lifting with Hebrew.

Zondervan has just started a new series--the Obadiah volume has excellent word and literary context studies using Hebrew.

Curious to hear what others use, too, especially for OT--it does seem like commentaries on the Greek of the NT are easier to find than commentaries on the Hebrew of the OT... or maybe I'm just not looking in all the right places.

Abram,

I guess I really don't understand Rick's response. Problems withe publisher?? I don't get it.

Abram,

I can understand if it takes longer at Accordance to prepare the text. But these two volumes are available but just not included at all. Why doesn' accordance just say that these volumes will be forthcoming to anyone who buys the set, similar to the Anchor Yale series (btw, I am still waiting for the rest of OT volumes)

Elijah:

The JPS commentary series on the Five Books of Moses is top notch scholarship regarding original languages. Also, I highly recommend the Yale Anchor series. In addition, the NET Bible and its notes are superb when it comes to orginal language and a lot cheaper than any of the commentary sets.

• Like 1

Abram,

I can understand if it takes longer at Accordance to prepare the text. But these two volumes are available but just not included at all. Why doesn' accordance just say that these volumes will be forthcoming to anyone who buys the set, similar to the Anchor Yale series (btw, I am still waiting for the rest of OT volumes)

Apologies if my first response was not precise enough. We are working with the publisher to license the additional volumes, but this process takes time. They will not be included at the current price. Just because another platform sells something does not mean we have automatic rights to license it.

This is completely different from Anchor. We are selling the Anchor set as incomplete because we are in the process of developing the titles; it is not a matter of licensing. You are paying for all the advertised volumes, and a free update will be released that includes those volumes when complete. This was an alternative we chose so customers could begin using what is complete instead of having to wait until the entire series is finished being developed.

If you would still like further clarification, please feel free to contact customer service.

Even when a company gets a WBC volume under contract, they are still at the mercy of the publisher to provide the text to work with. I have seen people complain in the Logos forums that Job volume 3 has been under contract since Jan 2012. And after many complaints they finally told us the publisher has not released the text to them.

-Dan

Even when a company gets a WBC volume under contract, they are still at the mercy of the publisher to provide the text to work with. I have seen people complain in the Logos forums that Job volume 3 has been under contract since Jan 2012. And after many complaints they finally told us the publisher has not released the text to them.

-Dan

Bizarre. This is a side of the publishing industry I don't understand. Doesn't the publisher also benefit from quickly getting etexts into the hands of companies like Oak Tree/Accordance, Logos, etc.?

Bizarre. This is a side of the publishing industry I don't understand. Doesn't the publisher also benefit from quickly getting etexts into the hands of companies like Oak Tree/Accordance, Logos, etc.?

Yes and no. I think many publishers look at Digital editions something like paperbacks. If they release it too soon no one will buy the Hard Covers. I remember reading somewhere years ago, that one publisher would not even consider releasing it for digital publication till it had been out for 18 months, others have a bolder vision and are prepared for nearly simultaneous release in print and digital editions. I virtually never buy print editions of anything (I did by a print version of the Gospel Transformation Bible because I realized I did not own a hard copy of the ESV and it was offered at a super discounted price via email). I do long for the day when digital editions are offered up first, but then that may only be a pipe dream.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Ah, yes, that makes sense, Dan.

Fortress Press for a while was offering CD-ROMs with print editions of books that had a searchable version of the same book in Libronix. That was really great for those of us who liked having both print and digital--I don't believe they are doing that anymore.

I'd love to see some publisher(s) partner with Accordance to offer the same kind of setup! (Print+digital combo.) But, you know, it's complicated on multiple levels (for both publisher and software company, I'd guess), so seems not likely to happen.

I'm really tempted to take advantage of this deal, but with only 28 of the 30 volumes available and each volume priced at $54, that's an additional $108 to complete the library when Accordance finally issues the other two volumes (or more than 33% of the current price for the first 28 volumes).

There may be upgrade pricing available. The price of the series with the new volumes may be higher than it is now, which would result in you paying more anyway. Ultimately, we don't know what the price will be later (or how long you might have to wait... some of these WBC volumes have been forthcoming for quite a while), so it's better to simply decide if the current offering is worth the current asking price.

Since so many of the individual books rate so high in bestcommentaries.com its difficult to think we could do better at little more than $5 per commentary, especially when many of them cost $55 on their own.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

I'm really tempted to take advantage of this deal, but with only 28 of the 30 volumes available and each volume priced at $54, that's an additional $108 to complete the library when Accordance finally issues the other two volumes (or more than 33% of the current price for the first 28 volumes).

I would be surprised if it was $108 for the upgrade, but exact pricing will be constrained by the publisher. The $299 sale for the 58 volumes currently in the Accordance modules is set by the publisher, and is the same for another company (which has two additional volumes Accordance lacks, but is itself incomplete as they have not been published to date in any form).

What you get now is a great price on a great set with all the tagging and research capabilities of Accordance. I would agree with Abram's original title for this thread, "Do it if you can." I temper that proposal only by saying that you have the budget and you have need of this type of tool. It is still a large investment. Hope this makes sense.

Since so many of the individual books rate so high in bestcommantaries.com its difficult to think we could do better at little more than $5 per commentary, especially when many them cost $55 on their own.

$5.15 per volume to be exact. Wow, I'm sold. :D

• Like 3

Done! Just had to get the WBC at this price. Also picked up Comfort.

Jeff

• Like 2

Ok. I gave in. Got it. :) I know I cannot go wrong with all the wonderful endorsement here as well as the incredible price. I was lacking a more technical Old Testament commentary and I based on all the comments here I made a great purchase. I too also got Comfort Text commentary. :)

I do have a question. When I amplify a verse, let say 1 Peter 1:1 to WBC (by selecting the verse and clicking in the Amplify icon in the tome menu bar) it opens to Comment section. Should n't be opening to the beginning of the section for 1 Peter 1:1 (just before the Bibliography where it says Greeting (1:1-2)) as it is where it begins for 1 Peter 1:1? No big deal, just wanted to make sure it was the way it suppose to be.

Thanks.

Edited by davidmedina
  • Like 3

The structure of the WBC is somewhat unusual, so Accordance assumed that you would most likely want to see the Comments section (especially in a parallel pane) and hard-coded the modules to open to that section.

Edited by JonathanHuber

Congrats, David! I think you'll enjoy it.

Re: the amplify--that's how it's been, at least since I started using Accordance a couple years ago. I think that must just be how it's coded to work. You probably already know you can select the mark button at the bottom and go up a mark to that Bibliography section, too, so that you can still get to that spot quickly.

Ah, yes, what Jonathan said.

There was actually a post about WBC and this similar issue a while ago with Jonathan and Dr. J. and some others that really helped me get set up with it when I bought it last year... sometimes if I really want to spend time in WBC, I'll have a tied tab open in a different zone so I can get the verse-by-verse comment, as well as a second tab (or different zone, for that matter) of WBC open that's not tied to anything, so I can scroll up and down through introductory material, bibliographies, etc.

Thanks guys. It makes sense.