"A Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew" by Menachem Zevi Kaddari

arnehalbakken

Jack Sasson on Agade just mentioned a new release by Bar-Ilan University Press of "A Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew (Alef - Taw)" [Osar Leson Ha-Miqra' me-Alef 'ad Taw] by Menachem Zevi Kaddari. This is a Hebrew-to-Hebrew dictionary.

http://www.biu.ac.il/Press/lingvis.htm

I don't know if OakTree is interested in or has the resources to get into this market.

It would also be nice to have Avraham Even-Shoshan's "ha-Milon he-hadash," Yerushalayim, Kiryat-sefer. This is an older but comprehensive Hebrew-to-Hebrew dictionary that covers the Hebrew language over a period of time.

Another one that would be helpful would be Rav Milim. Milon ha-shalem le-ivrit ha-hadasha published by Steimatzky in 1997. This was available for Windows in a digital format but may be out-of-print.

Here is more of a description of the work from the publisher's press release.

"The is the first book of its kind - a comprehensive academic dictionary of Biblical Hebrew written in modern Hebrew. Until today no such dictionary has been published in the Hebrew language, thus forcing Hebrew-speaking students and scholars to rely on English or German dictionaries.

"This book will appeal to a broad educated public interested in the Bible as the foundation of Jewish culture, and especially to students and teachers of Biblical Studies and Semitic languages including Hebrew. They will benefit particularly from the comparison of biblical words with their parallels in other Semitic languages, as well as the clarification of difficult, seemingly irregular forms in biblical Hebrew. All this enables the student to discover the simple meaning of the text: What did the author mean and why did he choose a particular form of expression? The entries are accompanied by copious notes commenting on the etymology and the roots of words and presenting opinions of biblical and linguistic scholars on grammatical issues.

"Prof. Menachem Zevi Kaddari is one of today's leading scholars in Hebrew Linguistics, and has specialized in the study of the Hebrew language for close to 50 years. His research encompasses all periods from biblical to modern Hebrew, and deals with most aspects of linguistic study: syntax, semantics, diction and stylistics, lexicography and stylistics. (One of his special interests is in defining the principles underlying the process of the internal organization of today's language.)

"Prof. Kaddari was awarded the Israel Prize for Hebrew Linguistics in 1999."

The book has 1,256 pages.

• 8 years later...

I second this request. After only being published in 2006, it is unfortunately out of print. I spoke with the publisher and it seems they have no intention of reprinting it. This is not a judgment on the quality of the work, it's just how academic publishers in Israel usually operate. I'd love to see this in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

Reviving this thread to see if there is interest in it.