Commentary suggestion?

kldbible

Which verse-by-verse commentary module (Old & New) that you would recommend
that is conservative and theologically sound?

Thank you.

My favorite multi-volume commentary series is probably the New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament (NICOT and NICNT). It is evangelically-based and I've found it very helpful for preaching and personal study. It is also one of the highest ranked commentary series on bestcommentaries.com.

Edited by Darin Allen

The NICOT/NICNT are a great series, but they're also one of the more expensive sets. If you're looking for something cheaper, consider the Tyndale Commentary. It's conservative and quite helpful, though less thorough. Bonus: it covers every book of the Bible, while many other series are not entirely complete.

The NICOT/NICNT are a great series, but they're also one of the more expensive sets. If you're looking for something cheaper, consider the Tyndale Commentary. It's conservative and quite helpful, though less thorough. Bonus: it covers every book of the Bible, while many other series are not entirely complete.

Agreed. Tyndale is also included in the Accordance Bible Study Collection ($199.99), and all Collections from Essential up ($499.99+), making it a great way to pick up tons of other modules at the same time.

The Classic Expositor's Bible Commentary is an affordable add-on that covers all the books of the Bible, and we have found it very useful. We have less experience with the new EBC-R.

I think the suggestions above pretty well cover the field.

The Tyndale Commentary and the Expositor's Bible Commentary—Revised are generally recognized as the best entry-level, multi-volume, whole Bible commentaries. They are solid, without being too technical, comprehensive without being too verbose. They are also theologically conservative, but middle-of-the-road enough that they benefit a wide range of readers: Catholics and Protestants, Calvinists and Wesleyans.

Both are single modules and reasonably-sized, which makes them good choices for Accordance iOS users with limited storage. In Accordance for Mac, either is an excellent choice for a top-level reference tool (the one that appears when one's cursor hovers over the reference and the command key is pressed). As commentaries go (which tend to be expensive), both are also reasonably priced.

If you don't have the Bible Study Collection (or above), I'd agree with Darin and recommend Tyndale, since it will be included with a host of good resources. If you do, you already have Tyndale (check your library), consider adding EBC-R.

[Note: I miss the excellent introductory articles in the original EBC, but always disliked the fact that it was formatted into two separate Accordance modules. The EBC-R is an updated edition, which has been extensively revised and is a single module. I think it is a big improvement of the EBC (which was already good), but I remain disappointed they omitted the introductory articles.]

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Thank you for all your suggestions. What about the Pillar series? Is it theologically conservative?

Will they have the Pillar series on OT?

Pillar is fantastic and very conservative, but it doesn't yet cover even the whole NT let alone the OT. A Pillar-style series on the OT would be great but I haven't heard about any plans to make it.

The Pillar series is NT only and is not complete. I have no idea if there are plans to include the OT. It lacks Luke, 2Cor, Gal, the pastoral epistles, 1Pet, and Rev (http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Pillar+NTC3). It is conservative. Many of the volumes are in the top 5 at bestcommentaries.com. A worthwhile purchase for NT studies. I just plain can't afford NICOT/NICNT. I have Pillar and both the EBC and EBC-R (and I use both). When Accordance 10 was released, I bought up to the Essential Collection because it was the cheapest way to get Tyndale.

What I will probably do from here on out is pick up some individual volumes to fill a particular need. I've got a bunch on my Wish LIst. Though there are real advantage to owning an entire series, cost does become an issue. Just like with the various Bible versions, a commentary series is likely to fall down somewhere. We teach our Sunday school students (ages 16-21) not to rely on a single Bible version or a single commentary. That is something I practice personally.

By the way, MacArthur's sermon entitled, Abusing the Poor (http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/42-251/abusing-the-poor), is the only thing I've ever heard or read that makes sense of Lk 21:1-4. You can download audio or PDF, or both, free. When his NT commentary series is complete, I hope that is included.

Pillar is part of the Apollos Bible Commentary series, I own Pillar in Logos and the Bibliographical information states it's part of the Apollos series (which i was always told was the OT Pillar companion series), which has several volumes available in the OT but no one has released any in a computer software format I am aware of. One moderately priced series that is well worth the money is Word Biblical commentary by thomas nelson. Word Biblical Commentary: 58-Volume Set .

-Dan

The WBC is now on a super sale too I see.. FYI

Dah! These sales! Might have to sell off some books of mine to get myself into the ballpark of this set. A great deal.

I have and regularly use EBC and Tyndale. Have used Pillar a bit in hardcopy and liked it but would recommend either the EBC or Tyndale over Pillar as great all-around commentaries that blend well some technical aspects with practical. However, with this sale I would suggest the WBC if you are looking for an excellent, technical set on both testaments. I'll be picking it up myself here at Accordance while it's on sale. :unsure:

Edited by Mark Nigro
  • Like 1

I agree.

This is a GREAT sale, but remember that it is also a very limited one. We're thrilled to be able to offer WBC at this price and we must have the publisher's support to do so. If they say, "Yes you can offer it at that price, but only for a week[end]," we have to abide by it.

My suggestion? Don't wait!

For anyone finding the price too steep Accordance offers payment plans for those who qualify.

-Dan

By the way, MacArthur's sermon entitled, Abusing the Poor (http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/42-251/abusing-the-poor), is the only thing I've ever heard or read that makes sense of Lk 21:1-4. You can download audio or PDF, or both, free. When his NT commentary series is complete, I hope that is included.

Thanks for that link, Julie.

The commentaries I have, one in Accordance (UBS Handbook NT) are perhaps not conservative. I don't know what to recommend.
Tyndale is now on a sale, $179: blog.logos.com/2013/05/save-up-to-22-on-commentaries-for-grads

Please don't link from here to Logos sales. In any case, Tyndale is included in our Bible Study Collection, and Essential and up.

The Tyndale commentary for $179 isn't nearly as good a deal as Tyndale plus the rest of the entire bible study collection for $199.

You're right about that, Jonathan. That is why, when Accordance 10 came out, I bought up to the Essential Collection. I was able to get Tyndale for much less than the non-sale price.

I will mention Logos but only really mention them usually in reference to an item Accordance dose not have…. On the whole it would be best not to link sales to any competitors software, especially if Accordance sells the same product, I can guarantee you they would like being told on their forums of Accordances fabulous sale on the WBC….

-dan

I notice that the WBC set does not include the final two parts of Clines' commentary on Job which have been available in print since 2011. Are these coming, and, if so, will they be available only as a separate purchase or will purchasers of the entire set now be eligible to access them when they're released?

Yes, we will be adding new volumes as we can, but there will be a price to add each one. On this set we have never promised the entire set for the original price. We can only do that on texts and modules that we develop, not on series that we license from a publisher.