A plea for font consistency!

Martin Shields

In Accordance on iOS I have chosen to display my English language tools using the Hoefler Text typeface. However, if I do a search, the search results are displayed in red (which is fine, I chose that) but in what appears to be Helvetica.

Why can't the search results appear in the same font as the remainder of the text?

The current result is visually jarring (since Helvetica is visually larger than Hoefler Text at the same point size, for one, but also because it mixes serif and sans-serif). I think just having the search results appear in the different colour is sufficient.

Thanks!

It may be that a bold version of your chosen font is not available in iOS so the system is performing an automatic font substitution to meet the current search hits styling.

There is a bold version, but it is named "Hoefler Text Black."

So I guess I'll have to try a different font then.

We can also look into our font grabbing routines to see if we can do a better job of picking up the bold version of this font.

• 2 months later...

Hi, although the content of this post isn't exactly what I was having a problem with, the title (A plea for font consistency!) is...

I recently went about changing my font on my iPod and the accordance app applied the new font to most of the contents in the tools but it wasn't consistent. There are some titles, sections and random words which are in a different font type which makes for very unpleasant reading. Just as a small example, I opened up the NLT Study Bible tool and clicked on Exodus... all the title heading are in a different font (i.e. summary, Setting etc), the word Exodus in one part is in a totally different font and the headings in the timeline are not the same)

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know... but if not, I'd really love to see the font applied consistently though out the entire tool.

Thanks kindly...

PS- I just tried changing the font from Athenian Unicode to Hoefler thinking that might be the problem but there are not more words that have a different font (sometimes half of a sentence)...

Edited by D. C. Foster

I suspect that these titles are in the Rosetta font. We use that in tools where extra characters are needed to transliterate original words accurately. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to change that. It applies to Anchor Bible Dictionary and some other tools.

Hi, although the content of this post isn't exactly what I was having a problem with, the title (A plea for font consistency!) is...

I recently went about changing my font on my iPod and the accordance app applied the new font to most of the contents in the tools but it wasn't consistent. There are some titles, sections and random words which are in a different font type which makes for very unpleasant reading. Just as a small example, I opened up the NLT Study Bible tool and clicked on Exodus... all the title heading are in a different font (i.e. summary, Setting etc), the word Exodus in one part is in a totally different font and the headings in the timeline are not the same)

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know... but if not, I'd really love to see the font applied consistently though out the entire tool.

Thanks kindly...

PS- I just tried changing the font from Athenian Unicode to Hoefler thinking that might be the problem but there are not more words that have a different font (sometimes half of a sentence)...

This is some sort of font rendering issue on iOS effecting (at least) small caps. I checked your specific example and on desktop the titles in NLT Study Bible render perfectly using Hoeffler Text as the font. On iOS the small caps titles are rendered in Helvetica or some other sans serif font. I recommend for now selecting another font, such as Palatino for a serif font, or Optima, Helvetica for a sans serif font.