Using COUNT to count

Martin

I have what may be an unusual question... I need to find the shortest chapter of the NT by word count (the reason I need this is too convoluted to go into here :rolleyes: ). I was able to eventually find a way that's close but I'm not completely sure my method is accurate. Here's what I did:

1. I performed an NIV word search using * and constraining the search to the NT;

2. Then I clicked on the Details button and viewed the Tables tab;

3. Next I used the cmt-T key to bring up the Set Table Display dialog;

4. Here I chose to Sort by Total Words and to Show Chapter Detail and to Show Total Words Count

Using the above, I find that the shortest chapter is 1Thess 1 with 230 hits and 264 words. What I don't understand, though, is why the Accordance reports a different number for hits and words. I thought the hit count might be related to the underlying Greek so I tried the same word search using the GNT-T. Interestingly, here I found that 1Tim 2 is the shortest chapter with 186 hits and 224 words. Will someone help me understand the difference between hits and words? Or, is there a better way to count words?

On a related note, if I wanted to find the shortest book within the NT by verse count, should a numerical difference between hits and verses also be expected?

Thanks,

Martin

In the Table, the word count has always included the punctuation. Don't ask why, it has been documented that this is the case. I think this explains the discrepancies between hits and words.

Archived