custom modules

Tom Broad

I have been using Bibleworks for some time, but with my recent switch to the Mac world have become an Accordance convert. It is like a breath of fresh air after the cumbersome interface of BW!

One of my uses of Bibleworks is the creation of custom texts, such as the Gospel of Thomas (in original languages and translated) and personal translations of the Bible portions for research work at the Seminary. These are incorporated into the general mix of indexed and searchable texts through the use of a compiler.

I am searching for the mechanism to perform the equivalent in Accordance. I have tried User Tools, but that appears to be intended more for reference works or books that may also reference Bible passages, not scripture text itself, and it doesn't appear to allow searching or analysis.

Obviously this function must exist, since Accordance Bible Software has to create their modules somehow, but I have not yet discovered the mechanism. <_< Can someone please point me in the right direction? (This is the only use I have for my old clunky BW on a Windows laptop, and I'd lke to stop using it.)

Thanks for your guidance!

Tom

Tom:

Glad you are liking Accordance. We do have the Gospel of Thomas in tagged Greek in the Apocryphal Gospels. You can add your translation as a User Notes file.

Sorry, Accordance modules are very complex in structure, and we cannot release the capability to the public as the tech support issues would be unending! The only modules that user can make (for now) are User Notes and User Tools. We hope to add Bible texts in regular fonts in the near future.

Both User Tools and Notes support multiple languages, and linkable scripture references. Both kinds of modules can be created and edited within Accordance.

User Tools work like General Tools but they do index and can import text. User Notes are attached to specific verses and scroll with the Bible, but searching is more limited, and import is not possible. They are ideal for creating your translations verse by verse.

User Tools can import Greek text from the TLG, otherwise the font has to be Helena. The AccordIt Utility will allow you to import text that is in Linguists Software's fonts and convert it to ours.

I hope that we can help you to work with our tools and do what you need,

• 2 weeks later...

Why not release the module-making tools with the understanding that there will be no technical support?

You may be over-estimating the complexity of the tools and under-estimating the ingenuity of your customers! :)

You just might find yourself with dozens of competent and experienced module-makers, on whom you can call to make "official" Accordance modules. There could be a sound financial incentive here.

Or if you have a better reason to refuse to share the goodies, eg for legal, copyright or aesthetic reasons, or simply because you don't want to, why not just say so?

~Alistair

Alistair,

We already are "sharing the goodies" by enabling users to create their own Accordance User Notes and User Tools. We've worked hard to create an interface for developing those modules which is easy for anyone to use, and which results in modules which include basic fields, browsers, Scripture hypertext links, etc. Best of all, there's no additional charge for this ability. (Another developer charges $100-$250 for the privilege of building custom modules, and makes the user renew the license each year!)

What's more, we intend to expand this functionality by eventually enabling users to create their own custom Bible texts as well. Hopefully, that ability will appear in a future update to version 7, though it won't make it into the initial release of 7.0.

As one who works with our in-house development tools, I can assure you that they're just not designed for general use--no matter how technically saavy the end user may be. Trust me, we're not holding out on you, we're developing easier interfaces for enabling you to build your own modules. :)

we're developing easier interfaces for enabling you to build your own modules.

Just to say I would also much appreciate the possibility of building my own Bible modules (which I also miss from BWorks), with the easy interface that Accordance can make.

BTW, one important feature would be the ability of -easily- edit the text, because when we work on a translation it is completely normal to modify it many times according to the insight we are getting into the text.

Thanks again for your excellent program!

• 1 month later...

:mellow: I also would really be blessed by the ability to ake my own Bible modules ..

mainly been wanting to make modules from older research books and the J.B Phillips Translation.

pleeeeease

:rolleyes:

Well, I sincerely hope the Accordance team has noticed that hardly a week goes by without someone asking for richer implementation of user tools in some way, shape, or form. There is a clearly expressed interest from users here.

Charge us more for Accordance, if you must. Or make it available as a separate software for sale. But please develop more robust way for the end-users to develop custom modules or import user tools. It need not have feature parity with Oak Soft produced modules. But surely there is a big gap between the officially-produced module features and user tools as they exist now?

Just my humble request.

• 2 weeks later...
Alistair,

We already are "sharing the goodies" by enabling users to create their own Accordance User Notes and User Tools. We've worked hard to create an interface for developing those modules which is easy for anyone to use, and which results in modules which include basic fields, browsers, Scripture hypertext links, etc. Best of all, there's no additional charge for this ability. (Another developer charges $100-$250 for the privilege of building custom modules, and makes the user renew the license each year!)

While I agree that the ability to create modules in Accordance is wonderful, it is so much easier to create modules in Sword. I can use any text editor I want (i.e., emacs) and do power searches and replaces and set up macros to edit the module. I'm trying to set up scripture links in a Lutheran Book of Concord Accordance module, there are thousands of scripture references, and I have to highlight each one and click the link button. ugh. To create these in a sword module, I do a regexp search and replace. Yea!

I think if the Accordance module editor's search and replace functions could just be expanded to allow regular expressions, it would be a vast improvement. Macros would also be great!

Thanks for the great product.

-Phil

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree an ability to create our own translations is a must. However, I disagree with the concept of paying more. In Bibleworks it is just a part of the total package. I think the bible module creator in Accordance should be as well.

my 2

Dear David Lang,

I am waiting for the Korean Bible.

Is it possible to make Korean bible with user tools?

If yes, how can I make it?

We hope to add soon the capability to create a User Reference tool which will work for Bible texts, and eventually to allow other scripts but probably not initially. There will not be a special charge for these features.

Kiho (and other interested parties)--

You can read a traditional Korean Bible using MacSword. Not many features, but at least it is possible until Accordance supports such scripts.

Archived