The New Macbook Air

Tom Castle

Hey everyone... Just finished reading all about the new MacBook Air. Anyone considering getting one? Its been a long time since I've wanted a computer as bad as I want that one. Anyone have any guesses (I know it would just be speculation) as to how Accordance would run on it?

How much do I have in savings again? LOL

I'm sure Accordance would run great on it. It runs great on my 1.33GHz iBook! The only trouble with the MacBook Air is that it has no optical drive, and many (most) Accordance modules are available via CD-ROM only. I know there's a workaround to use an optical drive on another machine, but it still might be a bit of a pain. Once the Universal version of Accordance is out, I'm sure it will scream on the new MacBook Air.

I could never live with the small hard drive size of either model. I'm out of room on my 160GB on my MacBook now.

It would be great as a second portable computer... only it would cost more than my current one!

I'm sure Accordance would run great on it. It runs great on my 1.33GHz iBook! The only trouble with the MacBook Air is that it has no optical drive, and many (most) Accordance modules are available via CD-ROM only. I know there's a workaround to use an optical drive on another machine, but it still might be a bit of a pain. Once the Universal version of Accordance is out, I'm sure it will scream on the new MacBook Air.

Good to know about the speed Robb. As to the optical drive, if its a must, they have an add-on for $99 that is a superdrive designed for the MBA. I'm running out of excuses as to why this isn't "MY" perfect machine.

I could never live with the small hard drive size of either model. I'm out of room on my 160GB on my MacBook now.

My current MBP is only 80 gigs and I have 2/3 of it still available. I guess I really don't do anything with mine except email, web browsing, and Bible Study. I am CONSTANTLY on the go however. The weight and size of the MBA is just screaming my name.

Add a 1TB Time Capsule and happy day :)

My current MBP is only 80 gigs and I have 2/3 of it still available. I guess I really don't do anything with mine except email, web browsing, and Bible Study. I am CONSTANTLY on the go however. The weight and size of the MBA is just screaming my name.

Add a 1TB Time Capsule and happy day :)

I think you should get it, Tom, and report back to us. :-)

Besides the very real fact that the hard drive wouldn't be big enough for my uses, I think there would also be value in waiting about six months for the MacBook Air. There always seems to be some kind of initial problem with new technology (this isn't just limited to Apple; consider the Xbox 360).

When the MacBooks were new, I knew it was what I needed, but I waited and watched all the early users go through fits with black screens and shut downs and I don't remember what else. I have a friend who works in Mac repair who I depended upon for the green light once Apple had first acknowledged the problem and second, worked out a solution, and third started shipping new MacBooks with the problem corrected. I've had no problem with my MacBook because I waited.

If the hard drive size of the MacBook Air gradually increases as I expect it will, I would certainly consider one in two or three years when my MacBook is starting to feel old. Since my laptop goes with me everywhere, lighter is always better in my opinion.

Besides the very real fact that the hard drive wouldn't be big enough for my uses, I think there would also be value in waiting about six months for the MacBook Air.

Wise advice Rick. I was one of the ones who have (and still are) dealing with issues on my 1st gen Macbook, while my wife's is perfect (purchased 7 months later).

I of course haven't used it, but the Remote Disc option doesn't sound like too much of a hassle. The way I understand it, is once you install the software on your CD-capable computer, it effectively is always your CD drive. Then, just connect via the Remote Disc option on the Airbook and any inserted discs should be available. Its a little bit of a hassle, but not too bad. Of course, also keep in mind that copying Accordance to the new machine is fairly safe (just get the Acc folder and your Acc preferences in your user folder), so you could just install everything on one machine then copy it over the network in one go.

We always recommend running the latest installer after copying over the Accordance folder and Preferences, so that fonts and help are properly installed.

Alright everyone... I'll be the guinea pig. Just got approval from the boss (my wife :D) So.... can someone point me to the threads where it shows how to get Accordance from one computer to another... I suppose I'll use the migration assistant on my present computer but will that be enough? I've never done anything like that before..

Alright everyone... I'll be the guinea pig. Just got approval from the boss (my wife :D) So.... can someone point me to the threads where it shows how to get Accordance from one computer to another... I suppose I'll use the migration assistant on my present computer but will that be enough? I've never done anything like that before..

Hi Tom, and congrats!

There are a number of ways to migrate from one Mac to another, and you're sure to get a myriad of answers to your question. That said, there are two specific files you'll need to get moved from A to B. (1) Applications>"Accordance Folder" and (2) User>Documents>"Accordance Files". You can do this with Migration Assistant or manually (save to flash drive or CD or via Firewire cable or what-have-you). Put them in the same locations on your new Mac.

My suggestion would be to use the M.A. (after first using your Macbook Air's system CD to re-install all the system software so you don't have the stuff you don't want on there, like all the languages and demo apps unless you need them).

After migration download the Accordance app from the website and install it on your new Mac, just to make sure that all the right stuff is where it needs to be.

Hope this helps!

Hey, Tom -

My favorite way to migrate contents from an older computer to its replacement is to boot up the old one in "target mode", then connect the two via a firewire cable. It will move everything - apps, prefs, etc. To boot up in target mode, just restart while holding down the "T" key. Your screen will be blue with a yellow firewire icon roaming around from one place to another. On the new machine, the older machine will show up as an orange disk image. The Set-up Assistant will do the rest for you. It moves a lot of data amazingly quickly.

I bought my firewire cable from an Apple Store, but it's the same cable used to connect the older external iSight camera to a computer - just a cable with a male firewire plug at both ends.

Congratulations on the new machine. Please let us know how you like it.

Julia

Thanks Julie. The only problem with that is the Macbook Air doesn't have a firewire port :)

According to http://www.apple.com/macbookair/wireless.html , the MacBook Air will migrate wirelessly from an existing mac. I am not sure if it will do this after reinstalling the system as dgarrett suggested (not a bad idea, but not necessary) so you may want to ask the Apple people before wiping your system if you can still migrate wirelessly. Even if you can't, you can always just copy manually over the wireless network.

I'm out of room on my 160GB on my MacBook now.

You need to quit using so many embedded movie clips in your Keynote presentations :P

You need to quit using so many embedded movie clips in your Keynote presentations :P

Well, you know, it keeps the class awake.

Actually, if I could always have access to the files on my iMac at home via "back-to-my-Mac" I could get away with a smaller hard drive. But there's not enough bandwidth in my office at SBTS to maintain a good enough connection to home.

Maybe one day...

Well, you know, it keeps the class awake.

Actually, if I could always have access to the files on my iMac at home via "back-to-my-Mac" I could get away with a smaller hard drive. But there's not enough bandwidth in my office at SBTS to maintain a good enough connection to home.

Maybe one day...

If you decide to hold your breath, make sure someone is around to revive you.

One of my Twitter favorites is this from Merlin Mann of 43 Folders:

Apple should sell a service that syncs documents between multiple Macs. Kinda like iDisk. Except it would work.

• 4 weeks later...

Go to a nearby Apple Store or Apple Retailer & try one out. You won't know how good it really is until you sit down & give it a spin. I wasn't sure if I'd like my 12" PowerBook, but one minute with it at my local Apple Retailer & it was love at first sight. I personally might want a MacBook Air someday, but I'd just have to test one out before I buy one. Test one out then you'll know for sure.

Just had a hands on experience with the MacBook Air today. All I have to say to you is, GO FOR IT!!!! It was love at first sight. I wasn't sure if I'd like the MacBook Air, but I more than like it. I love it! It's so thin, so light, so adorable. Sure, it's missing some ports my PowerBook has (that's why I'll keep my PowerBook & the new iMac I'll be buying next year on hand), but it is more powerful, & would make the perfect Intel road companion. Remote Disc would probably work well for me. I love how it's small yet still durable aluminum. And I'll have to buy a nice padded manila envelope as my new laptop case. And before long Apple will just be shipping them in manila envelops to keep the packaging down. :-)

Nathan

Archived