Accordance for new iPad?

Fr. Matthew Thurman

I know there was a past discussion kicked around about possibly porting Accordance to the iPhone. Now that Apple has officially announced their much-rumored iPad, any thoughts about porting Accordance to the iPad platform?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are thinking hard....

I don't know what is shaping your team's thinking, and this may not be the appropriate place for this, but I went ahead and tried Logos and am still disappointed at every turn about everything. They have an iPhone app that I assume will easily port to the horribly named iPad. Accordance is the Rolls Royce of Bible software and I know that the quality of an iPad app will be amazing. I will shift to the iPad in the next year or two instead of a MacBook Pro. I don't want to disparage another company, but we have a great piece of software in Accordance and I think it would contribute greatly to the Apple community.

Here's another thing to think about in terms of ministry - I've tried to preach using a PDF of my notes uploaded to the Kindle. Was not a good experience. However, with iWork for the iPad and the ability (I assume) to swipe the screen to advance a page, I'm going to consider preaching with it on the pulpit. If I had Accordance, I'd probably do all my preparation on it, too.

My $.02

I was wondering how long it would take for this topic to start :)

But I would love to see Accordance on the iPad. The iPhone is just a bit too small (both the screen and the power) to make it worth while, but the iPad is just right I reckon.

I can see the iPad replacing my macbook at the end of the year, and I would LOVE to have Accordance with me everywhere I go.

We are thinking hard....

My friend who uses Logos and has recently migrated to the Mac has been peppering me with questions about buying some sort of tablet to carry with him to church and to use for reading books. He just about purchased a Kindle, but I have been advising him to hold off until Apple's announcement. I am sure he will be glad he did.

I think within the next 5 years there will be many textbooks for high school and college classes available for this device and many students may carry this instead of a backpack full of books to school. Also in time, some people who are accustomed to carrying a Bible to church will opt for an iPad so they can have more than one translation with them, not to mention all the other tools that will be at their fingertips.

In regards to purchasing and carrying reading content, I don't know how one could argue that they are not looking at the future preferred device for many who use books today. It seems to be an natural extension for using at least some subset of Accordance capabilities.

I own Accordance for my mac and have been a user since around version 3 and I would pay extra to have this on a ipad. I hope that you would make this an app for the new ipad. Accordance is one of those wonderful applications that I use all the time at church and home. I would be nice to have it on this device because of it's portability.

All the best,

Bruce Long

I would think that continuing the development of the Accordance iPhone app will cover this. Jobs intimated that not every single iPhone app will run on the iSlate (I'm sticking with the name it should have been not the dumb name they gave it :) ) , so OakTree should just make sure Accordance is one of those apps that runs on both platforms. This gives us maximum Accordance usage

I would also be thrilled to see Accordance for the ipod and ipad. I would be willing to pay extra to have the power of Accordance in such a portable platform.

I think that the real issue is that a "tablet" / iPad is the future. This is where the culture is pushing. As with any device there are pros and cons.

In my case, I would love to see Accordance add to its products the iPad/iPhone platform. It could start small and gradually increase depending on the popularity of the product. Logos is dependent on wireless connection. It is a good product. However I want a Mac solution on a mac product. Also I am building an investment in Accordance texts.

I would rather see an iPhone/iPad app that really works than spend alot of time prettying up the existing Accordance interface (referencing another topic).

Frank

If Oaktree is going to develop the Accordance for iPad, I will definitely purchase it.

My friend who uses Logos and has recently migrated to the Mac has been peppering me with questions about buying some sort of tablet to carry with him to church and to use for reading books. He just about purchased a Kindle, but I have been advising him to hold off until Apple's announcement. I am sure he will be glad he did.

I think within the next 5 years there will be many textbooks for high school and college classes available for this device and many students may carry this instead of a backpack full of books to school. Also in time, some people who are accustomed to carrying a Bible to church will opt for an iPad so they can have more than one translation with them, not to mention all the other tools that will be at their fingertips.

In regards to purchasing and carrying reading content, I don't know how one could argue that they are not looking at the future preferred device for many who use books today. It seems to be an natural extension for using at least some subset of Accordance capabilities.

Since returning to school and being a pew sitter rather than a preacher, I my "take to church Bible" is in my iPhone. (I still like a hard text for margin notes when I do study and devotional work. I'm old!) I really appreciated my Bibles on my iPhone when I did a course in Israel/Palestine last spring.

I'm another one who would pay more for Accordance on iPhone or the new device with the controversial name.

If Oaktree is going to develop the Accordance for iPad, I will definitely purchase it.

This was my thought, too. The iPad looks cool, but I don't plan to buy one if Accordance won't run on it. ;)

I'd love to have Accordance on an iPad too! It would be VERY cool to take this to church.

I'm not likely to be purchasing an iPad anytime soon, partially due to budget realities and partially because at the moment it's not a good fit for my needs.

But I can certainly see scenarios in which and iPad which ran an Accordance app could be an excellent solution sometime in my future. It's much harder for me to see a scenario where an iPad would make sense for me if there wasn't an Accordance app for it.

Lorinda

If Accordance releases for the iPad, I will buy an iPad. It's that simple. A full-featured Accordance on the iPad would be the ultimate pastor's work tool. I'm not sure what could top it. It would be so much better than a laptop, it's not even comparable.

I haven't read anything about the iPad's language support, which is a critical question, but other than that, if there's wifi capability, a full-blooded word processor, and Accordance, the iPad suddenly becomes *the* tool for sermon preparation and delivery.

Imagine: the iPad on the lectern, with an app running that displays your sermon notes and your PowerPoint slides, with a click to advance button. And click - you can go to an Accordance Atlas map, or timeline, or you can run a Biblical text you hadn't thought of until you were standing there. Everything you need in one package.

Now that the new "Lighting the Lamp" episode on Construct Searches is out, can you imagine what it would be like to build Construct searches on the iPad with your fingers? Amazing...

Now that the new "Lighting the Lamp" episode on Construct Searches is out, can you imagine what it would be like to build Construct searches on the iPad with your fingers? Amazing...

I was talking with a tech-geek former pastor last night, and we were salivating over just that possibility.

If you give me advance warning, I'll purchase an iPad to help with any beta testing. :)

Ah, I'm actually glad about a dozen or so people have already brought this up! I agree with much of what's already been said. I would much rather want to see Accordance on an iPad than an iPhone. An iPhone app would be good for quick reference and whatnot, but on an iPad, one could actually do some decent research.

I assume licensing will be a big hurdle. I know I'm not the only one who's spent several hundred on Accordance modules and wouldn't want to repay for texts I already own.

Also, I'll just say that I'm willing to wait for a version of Accordance with a stellar UI, fun multi-touch controls, easy syncing between my Mac, and powerful search features. Take your time guys.

I'll likely end up buying an iPad (if not in a couple of months, then at the very least when the 2nd gen comes out - but whenever an iPad version of Accordance comes out I'll definitely be buying it (unless it's not able to use the Accordance library I already have on my MacBook Pro) and if that comes out before I've already purchases an iPad, I'll be buying the iPad as soon as Accordance is available for it. (hope that sentence made sense

We are thinking hard....

I definitely want Accordance on the iPad, and plan to get one. I own an iPod Touch already and would be happy to test an app on that. I understand that the SDK for the iPad just came out yesterday, so obviously this will take you guys some time, if you do it. I hope you do!!

I'm buying one of these. I'd love to have my Accordance Bibles and personal notes that would sync with the notes on my MacBook.

Archived