iPad

Jeremy Horneck

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After using the iPad for several days now, I am convinced it is the ideal format for an Accordance app. If the speed and elegance of Accordance searches were able to be placed into an iPad app there truly would be nothing able to compete with it. It is very exciting to think about!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julia Falling

• R. Mansfield

• Robb B

• Helen Brown

I have hopes that the Accordance iPad app will be able to display to a projector in both mirror and dual screen formats.

I would add my agreement that as long as I can use my purchased modules, I would be willing to pay for an iPad version of Accordance. For me this is a killer app for the iPad; build an Accordance app and I will buy an iPad (well sooner than I probably would normally).

BTW: I would be willing to be a beta tester. :)

Edited by John C.

I'm assuming this will work with an iPhone/iPod Touch as well? If so, wow, that would mean that I can now have Accordance on my phone, macbook, and on my soon to be acquired iPad (when the app is created). I will pay to get this app. It seems only fitting. How soon will this come out? Would love it before I leave the country in June to teach!

This would give me a good reason to consider getting an iPad -- in fact, I wouldn't get an iPad unless I could use it with Accordance. I have OliveTree, which is fine for the iPhone, but not robust enough for a large screen. The iPad also would be useful for reading articles/PDFs. It also would be nice to have endNote for the iPad...

Edited by schniedewind

iPad in hand, really looking forward to putting Accordance on it. I wasn't real sure how much utility I would get out of the iPad, but I am already seeing how incredibly powerful and versatile it is, even with the limited number of apps specifically made for it. I find myself wishing daily that the Accordance was already installed.

iPad in hand, really looking forward to putting Accordance on it. I wasn't real sure how much utility I would get out of the iPad, but I am already seeing how incredibly powerful and versatile it is, even with the limited number of apps specifically made for it. I find myself wishing daily that the Accordance was already installed.

My thoughts as well. I find myself using my iPad as my primary computer (I have a Macbook and iPod touch as well). An Accordance app would be fantastic!

For me an important point would be the ability to store texts on the iPad/iPhone, and not require online connection to use the app

The logos app doesn't require a connection to use anymore

Haven't got an iPad yet although I have an iPod Touch (considering an iPad strongly) but an Accordance app for it would mean a definite YES! YES! YES!

The lack of an Accordance app for iPad is its biggest negative to me.

This is great news!!! I was just checking out what Olive Tree's BibleReader has to offer in the way of commentaries, etc., and thought, 'I wonder if Accordance...' The BibleReader app is a very strong product IMO and I love it, but having access to my already purchased Accordance modules as well as user notes would make Accordance a no brainer. Once you'd developed for the iPad would you port it to the iPhone as well (not a deal breaker by any stretch)?

The biggest issue will be the UI. I'm sure you guys will do really well, but that's my single biggest plea.

Oh dear, having to choose between my two favourite Bible Software suites. C'est la vie.

Hello,

I have been reading along all this time about IPhone/IPad. Since I switched to MAC, I've loved Accordance. What surprises me is that Logos has already released an app for both while we "wait" for Accordance. What is keeping it from happening if things are going well? Just curious.

Well, we want to do it right, and you must understand that the iPhone/iPad OS is quite different from any Mac OS. We didn't want to write just a simple Bible reader, but to use underlying Accordance code to read Accordance modules. We have to port a very mature, complex, program to an entirely new OS, and then we have to design a completely new interface for a touch screen rather than mouse and keyboard. We waited a while as we explored various options, and as Apple's policies on the new OS were clarified. Now are working on it, believe me, as hard as we can.

As soon as we have something that satisfies our standards, we'll release it, though initially it won't have all the features of the Mac version of Accordance. Then we'll work to improve it over time.

Well, we want to do it right, and you must understand that the iPhone/iPad OS is quite different from any Mac OS. We didn't want to write just a simple Bible reader, but to use underlying Accordance code to read Accordance modules. We have to port a very mature, complex, program to an entirely new OS, and then we have to design a completely new interface for a touch screen rather than mouse and keyboard. We waited a while as we explored various options, and as Apple's policies on the new OS were clarified. Now are working on it, believe me, as hard as we can.

As soon as we have something that satisfies our standards, we'll release it, though initially it won't have all the features of the Mac version of Accordance. Then we'll work to improve it over time.

The above made me think of Orson Wells' line, "We will serve no wine before its time."

(with apologies to my fellow Baptists)

I'm confident you'll do it right! I'm mostly interested in reading texts and doing basic searches. I think a "lite" version of Accordance would be just fine! Looking forward to Accordance for the iPad.

Bill

Just a note on usage...

I've (well, my wife too, since I had to smooth over the purchase I wasn't going to make until later) we've been taking the iPad to church in lieu of lugging around my KJV, NASB, NIV, AMP parallel bible. We absolutely love it using the YouVersion App. But now, I'm seeing that I would need two iPads (one for taking notes, and one for reading and comparing scripture, and I'm sure I can talk my wife into another iPad purchase).

We have a tendency to attend churches that require a bible and notepad, so having an easy note taking ability could be a nice "sell" with a decent "lite" Accordance app. I've had good success with using a handwriting app (WritePad) and the iPhone stylus, since i'm slower with my typing than my wife is with the writing.

Am I the only one who checks the accordance website two-three times a day just to make sure I don't miss the announcement?

Am I the only one who checks the accordance website two-three times a day just to make sure I don't miss the announcement?

Probably not. But, save yourself the time and subscribe to our News feed, the blog. or better still follow us on Twitter where all of our feeds are automatically delivered. :-)

Just curious, any ETA for the first release? :D

No, you are not the only one. I am eagerly checking, daily.

Just curious, any ETA for the first release? :D

Days, weeks, or months?

I do want to say that I appreciate Accordance taking their time to do things right. Speaking on the new iPhone 4.0 update and mulit-tasking, Steve Jobs made a point to say that Apple may not be the first, but when they do show up they will be the best.

I'd like to see the iPad Accordance app today, but also want a quality and dependable product. I have confidence that whenever it is released it will be worth the wait.

But I'll still be checking daily! :D

Please don't wait too long! Late April is almost here, and the one app that would make my iPad 3G really shine (i.e. Accordance) isn't available yet. IMO, you're not dealing with a market where releasing a VERY basic app to begin with is going to hurt you. Accordance users are going to use and pay for your app as soon as its available and are going to appreciate any advancements along the way. I would be pleased even if the first version of the app only brought the texts over and nothing else. Just to be able to go to any of the texts in my Accordance library at any time on my iPad would be invaluable, even without the option to search or take notes, etc.

Just some thoughts as I anxiously await the N. T. Wright conference at Wheaton College tomorrow (guess its this morning by now). Richard Hays kicks things off at 8:40, so I need to get some sleep.

Mike

I love the enthusiasm, everyone!

God is really working on my patience here too, as I have wanted a mobile version of Accordance ever since I got my iPhone. (sigh) I know our programmers are hard at work on it, but I also know we'll wait until they get it right to release it. If Apple had just gone ahead and released an iPad with a version of the Mac OS on it, we'd probably have had it out already. However, now we have both the iPhone and the iPad to consider, there are many, many decisions to be made...

I'm sure all of you know we don't believe in "vaporware." We also don't sell pre-release, alpha, or even beta(!) versions of software to our customers. What that means is that we tend to hold our cards pretty tightly to our chest until we can be reasonably certain of a release date.

Meanwhile, prayer for our programmers is always in order. I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Meanwhile, prayer for our programmers is always in order. I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

You know, I never thought about praying for programmers before! Quite excited at the thought now. Thanks!

They have my humble prayers iPad or no iPad!

Kevin.

They have my humble prayers iPad or no iPad!

Kevin.

My prayers are with you also. I will pray earnestly as I just purchased my iPad and can't wait to get Accordance on it!

Ed Cross