Syncing while on the Road... A workaround

Joseph Landaw

If you are on the road and need to sync your notes/user tools from you laptop to you iOS device, this is for you.

I'm currently traveling and do not often have a wifi connection that will work to sync my notes and user tools. Starbucks, McDonalds and hotels have it blocked so you cannot access other peoples computers/mobile devices. Unfortunately, this stops my iPhone and Mac Book Pro from talking.

I found out you can make a network on you Mac and use it to sync your stuff... The trick is to have iTunes open and syncing while you do this, (otherwise it does not work for me...)

This will only work if you meet the following conditions.

1. you have your laptop with you (just want to make that clear...)

2. you have wifi sync enabled for you iPhone or iPad

3. you create a network with a 40bit WEP password on you mac

4. you have iTunes running while trying to sync. Your iPad/iPhone will show up in iTunes (it works best while you iPhone is syncing with iTunes, it can do both at the same time)

Note: your iPhone/iPad will most likely not show it has a wifi connection... if it shows up in iTunes it will work.

Hope this helps someone

JL

Edited by Joseph Landaw
  • Like 1

Joseph:

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was using the method to sync my stuff after i updated to iOS 6 and noticed how much faster this was vs. using a regular network. Since it is straight from your Mac to your iDevice, it seems to be significantly faster.