Landscape

Andy Crim

The portrait mode needs to be restrained to 90 degrees either direction or else how can you lay your head on a pillow and go to landscape viewing? Do it like safari and so many other apps. Thank you.

The portrait mode needs to be restrained to 90 degrees either direction or else how can you lay your head on a pillow and go to landscape viewing? Do it like safari and so many other apps. Thank you.

Hi, Andy!

I am a bit confused. Our app can currently be locked in portrait mode, just like many other apps on the iPhone and using the same method. Just dbl-click the home button, swipe the bottom app bar to the far left and tap on the orientation lock.

Or do you mean we ought to allow users to lock it on landscape mode...?

I usually lock it in the portrait mode, but I needed to view a chart in landscape mode and discovered that unlike Safari, Accordance will continue to rotate to 180 degrees and beyond. Try it.

Hi Andy,

Can you describe the steps you're taking to see this behavior, because I cannot reproduce it on my iPhone 4 or iPad. It the hardware rotation lock is set, then no amount of device rotation rotates the screen contents.

Thanks,

Scott.

When the screen is unlocked rotation should stop at 90 degrees. It should not go to 180 degrees.

Apple surely has interface guidelines concerning this as all of their apps that allow rotation behave the same. They are free to rotate either 90 degrees right or left, but not 180 degrees -- Notes, Safari, Address Book, Mail. Bible Reader and most other apps operate the same.

Apple surely has interface guidelines concerning this as all of their apps that allow rotation behave the same. They are free to rotate either 90 degrees right or left, but not 180 degrees -- Notes, Safari, Address Book, Mail. Bible Reader and most other apps operate the same.

Accordance is in good company, at least.

Amazon's Kindle app and the Stanza reader (as does Logos' app) go all the way around. I can keep turning and turning and turning.

It looks to me like it's the choice of the app (and its programmers).

So how does one view landscape on the iPhone when in the prone position? The iPad will lock on landscape. What is the advantage of the 180 degree position? I believe Apple got it right.

Deuteronomy 6:7

7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.

I don't have the time that Steve does -- and I never said I don't teach lying down. :)

I wasn't referring to Steve's time, although I believe he is as busy as you, but to his attention to detail. I have seen many apps come on the market with the same quirk, but almost all of them eventually gain this capability.

I realize there are many more important interface tasks at hand, but I was simply pointing out this weakness with the hope it will be put on your long to do list. In the meantime there is Bible Reader for in bed study.

Sorry to belabor my point.

Andy,

Apple encourages app developers to support ALL orientations in their iPad applications: portrait, landscape, upside down portrait, and upside down landscape (yes that's what they call them). So unless the orientation lock is set we allow the device to be rotated in any orientation.

Interesting to note that the orientation lock works differently for iPhone and iPad. iPad allows you to "lock" your orientation in portrait or landscape. iPhone only allows you to lock your orientation in portrait.

Scott.

Amazon's Kindle app and the Stanza reader (as does Logos' app) go all the way around. I can keep turning and turning and turning.

Turn your Kindle app to landscape and then touch the lock in the lower right corner of the screen. Voila!

Curl up with a commentary as long as you don't lay on your side and try to read it in landscape.

Turn your Kindle app to landscape and then touch the lock in the lower right corner of the screen. Voila!

Curl up with a commentary as long as you don't lay on your side and try to read it in landscape.

Is this on an iPad or an iPhone/iPod Touch?

Kindle version 1.1 added the rotation lock for the iPhone. I don't know about the iPad, but of course we can lock in landscape with the built in lock. Bible Reader started out with the universal rotation, but I believe version 3 added the lock just like Kindle. Version 5 has adopted the Apple style of landscape lock that we have described above.

As far as Logos . . . I wouldn't particularly be proud of following their lead.

Andy,

OK. I now see what you are saying. The Kindle app has it's own rotation lock button completely separate from the one built-in to iOS. And you're suggesting we add one to Accordance for iOS, correct?

Scott.

One other thing. The Apple implementation is quick and effective without having to think about it. The app can be read in landscape laying on either side. The Kindle way is also good. It is a lock that is easy to get at.

Please don't bury a lock in the settings like Mantis and Paul Avery. This is way too cumbersome for curling with your commentary.

• 3 weeks later...

Logos version 1.6.1 for the iPhone has taken the screen lock that Kindle uses and Bible Reader used to employ. Rotate the iPhone and an on screen lock will momentarily appear.

Since the beginning in June of 2007 Apple's approach for the iPhone has been a screen rotation stop on all of their apps instead of a screen lock. Only last fall in 4.2 did they add the ability to lock the screen in portrait mode system wide. At this point they haven't added a landscape lock as the on the iPad, but they do continue to use the 90 degree stop on all iPhone apps. Bible Reader adapted the 90 degree stop a year or two ago. I have never used Stanza reader.

The screen lock adds another touch command that seems unnecessary when all one wants to do is either lock in portrait mode or undo the system lock and have the screen stop in landscape mode.

Thanks again.

Logos version 1.6.1 for the iPhone has taken the screen lock that Kindle uses and Bible Reader used to employ. Rotate the iPhone and an on screen lock will momentarily appear.

Since the beginning in June of 2007 Apple's approach for the iPhone has been a screen rotation stop on all of their apps instead of a screen lock. Only last fall in 4.2 did they add the ability to lock the screen in portrait mode system wide. At this point they haven't added a landscape lock as the on the iPad, but they do continue to use the 90 degree stop on all iPhone apps. Bible Reader adapted the 90 degree stop a year or two ago. I have never used Stanza reader.

The screen lock adds another touch command that seems unnecessary when all one wants to do is either lock in portrait mode or undo the system lock and have the screen stop in landscape mode.

Thanks again.

I certainly don't disagree that such a lock would be convenient for some.

My point, of course, was that it wasn't a programming error by Accordance, in which they were somehow ignoring Apple's guidelines, which your initial posts suggested.

Archived