Hyperlink not working properly on User Notes created in the app and then sync'ed to the desktop

davidmedina

It may be something I missed or messed up in the process. But this is what I did:

While at a Bible study I created a user note in my iPad app called "Mobile". I added some notes for 1 Pet. 1:15 using the NKJS. The book/verse reference was added automatically by Accordance iPad app.

When I got home I sync'ed my iPad with Accordance desktop. I opened the "mobile" user note in Accordance desktop and hover over the reference 1 Pet. 1:15 in the notes. The loupe came up but there was nothing displayed in the Instant Display so I click to display the reference. I got the following message:

"The user notes hyperlink reference cannot be found or is incorrect.

Because the Bible I had selected on Accordance Desktop was the ESVS I changed it to the NKJS but I got the same message. I assume that the hyperlinked references in the user notes will work with any Bible selected as long as it has the reference. Am I correct in my assumption?

To test it further, I added a note to my user notes from using the Bible I had opened in Accordance Desktop and it work fine.

What am I doing wrong? Is it a bug?

Are you using Dropbox sync or syncing via wifi? (Dropbox is still Mac/iOS only)

Nevermind...I misunderstood your question.

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Just to clarify, I am syncing via wifi (not dropbox) and I am on a MAC.

Edited by davidmedina

Any suggestion as to how to fix this?

Hi David,

Just to let you know we are working on this in support for you. We have not been able to reproduce the issue that you are describing. We have duplicated your mobile note creation exactly as you have described and performed a sync here in the office on two separate iPads and Macs,

one with 10.7 and one with 10.8. In both instances the hyperlinks in the user note worked perfectly. We need to find out what is different on your

devices compared to the ones we used here. Which OS X is on your Mac and are you using Accordance version 1.6.8 on your iPad and iOS 7.0.4?

Have you tried checking any previous notes and their hyperlinks? Is this error exclusive to this one user note or to all of them?

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/uploads/post-31729-0-41682700-1386802531_thumb.png

Hi Billy. Thanks for the update. I am sorry for the duplicated post.

I am using MAC OSX 10.7.5 Lion on a MAC PRO (circa 2006). Accordance in my computer is 10.3.3. The iPad is an iPad 3, using iOS 7.0.4 (11B554a) and iOS Accordance 1.6.8 (sept. 2013).

Let me do some testing so I can give you more information, but it has happened before.

Thanks,

David

Billy, I tried to replicate the problem but it not happening. I made a short video to show you another problem. Here is the link:

http://www.hightail.com/download/OGhkanZrNkdRYS9IRHRVag

In Accordance for MAc and for the iPad I have the font size for the User Notes set to size 16. I cannot show you the iPad side but in the video you will see the MAC side settings.

I created a new USer Note in the iPad called Test Notes. I added a note to it in the iPad. I then sync the iPad and Accordance for Mac over wifi. Everything went as it supposed. I opened the USer Notes and I can see the note fine and the hyperlink works fine in Accordance for MAC (But the hyperlink does not work on the iPad. it does not do anything).

As you will see in the video I then add a note to that User Notes and when I do, Accordance changes the font size to 27. It is almost like it is using the font size I set up for the Text Display instead of the one I set for the User Notes. I thought it could it be the Standardize text display check box in the USer Notes Preference but it didn't make a difference.

Ok. I think I found the reason the font size was showing up.

Although I set up the font size under Preferences>User Notes Display to 16 (because the Standarize text display was set to on) because the Preferences>User Files All Edit Windows font size was set to 27 it made the font 27 instead of 16. I changed it to 16 and now works fine.

But my questions are then, what are the differences between the USer Notes Displays and User Files preferences? What does the Standarize text display on User Notes Display preferences does? I would greatly appreciate a more detailed explanation of this two preferences or if someone can point me to a podcast or webinar that may go in details over all the Preferences settings.

Thanks..

Hi David,

The best descriptions for the differences that I could find in the help section are here:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/10_ref/prefs/preferences_user-files.htm#kanchor793

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/10_ref/prefs/preferences_text-display.htm#kanchor771

The Standardize text display on User Notes Display preferences explanation is here:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/10_ref/prefs/preferences_user_notes_display.htm?Highlight=standardize

Thanks,

Billy

Thanks. I will check those out.