What is the Egyptian Greek NT?

Enoch

Is this a modern attempt to backtranslate

coptic texts to koine Greek?

tnx

As it says here:

... the "Egyptian Greek New Testament" ... is a reconstruction of the Greek text underlying the Coptic for easier comparison directly with the various GNT editions and MSS available with Accordance.

When was it made? Is it modern?

When you bring it up, though it be a reconstruction, yet it is all caps!

Dear me, it shouts at the reader!

Incidentally, when one searches the Accordance products for
"Egyptian Greek NT," this module may not come up, but a lot of things which are apparently not particularly Egyptian at all come up. The first thing that results is "GREEK NT ADD ON" (all caps by Accordance, not by me). Then what is described is "This package adds the Greek tagged text (GNT28-T), the Newman Dictionary, and Thayer's Greek Lexicon." Nothing seems Egyptian for that entry. And it looks like 36 pages of stuff come on, probably very little of which is Egyptian.

Edited by Enoch

The Read Me for this text, as found in Read Me-Modules is:

EGNT: Notes on the Greek New Testament Based on the Egyptian Text

November 2008

Collated and edited by J. Warren Wells
See www.sahidic.org for information on the ancient Sahidic version.
See www.sahidica.org for information on the Sahidic New Testament.

The Egyptian Greek Text is used by permission.
Copyright © J. Warren Wells. All rights reserved.
EGNT 1.00 (7 Oct 2005)

Electronic text prepared for Accordance by:
Rex A. Koivisto, Multnomah University, Portland, Oregon USA

Suggestions and corrections should be E-mailed to:

Dr. Rex A. Koivisto

Important Notes

This version represents the New Testament in the original Greek according to the Egyptian text, upon which the Coptic Sahidic was based.
• “Egyptian” means the Greek text type Aland calls Alexandrian/Egyptian and Metzger calls Proto-Alexandrian/Alexandrian.
• The term “in the Original Greek” is often misunderstood to mean this represents the text as it was originally written. It does not imply that. It means this is “a version” of the New Testament in the language the original was written in.

The purpose is to provide a parallel Greek text for students and researchers who work with the Sahidic version. At the same time fabricating a hypothetical version of the Greek to correspond to the Sahidic has been avoided.

Is this a modern attempt to backtranslate

coptic texts to koine Greek?

tnx

In short, yes.

It's a retroversion of the Coptic text into Greek used for comparison with other versions of the Greek NT.

Well, thanks Helen for the ReadMe. Now I am intrigued. The ReadMe sounds like someone believes that the Coptic Sahidic

is a direct translation of the Alexandrian text, and that if one wants to know what the actual Alexandrian text is (not mere text family), one can get it by backtranslating from Coptic to Greek -- on the belief that there actually was a singular document representing the Alexandrian text, the forerunning for the rest. Using the capital letters then gives the result a false aura of authenticity. I'm not sure what the antecedent of the pronoun "this" is in the "Important Notes." I normally think of "versions" as translations from Greek to another language, and of various Greek texts as variants.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I take it then that Egyptian Greek NT is a POV title.

Edited by Enoch