Greek Diagram and Syntax add-ons missing

Julia Falling

Hey, guys –

I did a search on the forums. I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it.

I've been having a lot of hangs and force-quits since Version 10.4. In all the chaos, my diagram and syntax add-ons have disappeared. They're still there on my Mac mini (don't use Accordance much there), but not on my Air where I've had all the hangs. With either GNT-T or GNT28-T open, the drop-down menu under 'Add Parallel' does not include either add-on.

I've tried removing GNT-T and GNT28-T from the Library and then reinstalling. No success. Any ideas?

Where on my drive are these located? I could move them from the mini to the Air if I knew where to look, but they don't seem to be in ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance. Or am I just not getting a complete install for some reason.

Thanks!

Hi Julie,

My 10.4 Mac install shows them in :

~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Gloss folder/GNT-T.syntax
~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Gloss folder/GNT28-T.syntax

That was unexpected but there you go.

Thx

D

Daniel –

Thank you! Didn't even think to look there. Moved the three modules via AirDrop and, with Accordance not running, dropped them into the correct folder on the Air. All is now working. And next time this happens, I'll know where to look.

Julie

Actually neither did I. I just did the thing I always do on Unix boxes when I can't find something. Pop a terminal, cd to some high up directory and use find. In any case glad its working for you.

Thx

D

I did a search using Spotlight and didn't get any help.

I rarely use terminal and am not familiar with the commands. Where do I go to learn how to use it?

I've never been able to use Spotlight - I probably need to sit down and beat it into my skull but I'm too used to the command line in Unix so for the GUI just isn't worth the effort. Oddly Windows Explorer works much better for me, and of course there really isn't a built in Unix shell.

Anyhow, how to learn it - not sure. There are links on the web eg. http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/introduction-to-the-mac-os-x-command-line which gives a very basic look at it. After that you need to get used to general Unix command line tools. ls - list files, find - find stuff, grep - to search file contents, cd - to move around the filesystem. The man command tells you about the function and options for each command. So for example "man ls" will tell you all the options and syntax supported by the ls command. And it can read as very arcane. But hey you read NT Greek so this is a cakewalk by comparison. There are also books like http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Unix-OS-Going-Terminal/dp/1449332315 - please don't take this as an endorsement of this book - I've never read it - I just did a quick search to see what was about.

As an example to find the syntax here are the commands I used :

Open Terminal window and then at the prompt do :

cd

find ./ -name "*syntax*"

cd changes the current working directory. The current working directory (cwd) provides the basic context for the execution of a command such as find, ls and so on. Its strictly speaking a location in the filesystem. cd with no parameters takes you to the user's home directory. The pwd command will show where you currently are.

Then the find command I used does the following: ./ tells find which directory to start the search in. ./ means the current working directory. The -name option expects a pattern of some kind to follow and searches from ./ look for files and directories with names matching that pattern. In this case "*syntax*". The * means any number of any characters. So basically this pattern looks for files containing the string "syntax" in the name. It turns out this is way too broad as the word "syntax" appears in a whole slew of Accordance help page HTML file names. If I've been a little more judicious I would have used "*syntax" indicating that the file's name should end with "syntax".

<prompt string>% find ./ -name "*syntax"
.//.Trash/Recovered files #8/AccordanceOldFiles/GNT28-T-oldsyntax
.//ComputerStuff/scala-2.8.1.final/misc/scala-tool-support/vim/syntax
.//Library/Application Support/Accordance/Gloss folder/GNT-T.syntax
.//Library/Application Support/Accordance/Gloss folder/GNT28-T.syntax
find: .//Library/Saved Application State/com.solidstatenetworks.awkhost.savedState: Permission denied
<prompt string>

As you can see it finds stuff not even related to Acc here and stuff in hidden directories - those beginning with ".", and it shows you perms issues if you hit any.

HTH

D

I did some programming back in the dark ages. Took a Basic class in college – we had to punch cards and turn them over to an operator to run the program (I told you it was the dark ages). Then Fortran. Punched cards for that class, too. Learned COBOL at work. That was 35-40 years ago. Hand held calculators cost more than my first used car back then. That is why I learned to be quite competent on a slide rule.

Upon consideration, I think I'll stick to Greek and try to pick up a little Hebrew . . .

Thanks for your help, Daniel.

You're very welcome.

Thx

D