Changing Dictionaries with Key numbers

Tony Lawrence

I have found a minor annoyance. When I triple click on a word in a tagged text I get the new Mounce Dictionary (which I like). However, I do appreciate the quality of the older Greek Keys Dictionary as well. It has the benefit that if a word is a compound word it shows which words comprise that compound word and their key numbers. When I then choose Greek Keys from the drop down menu from the window where Mounce is open, the selection in the search box changes from the key number to Greek Entry even though there is a key number in the window. One has to manually change it back to key number. The screen shot below will show what I mean.

post-29479-0-14863200-1346945196_thumb.png

Tony, when you change the tool displayed in a window, it automatically defaults to the first field of that tool. We could try to make it switch to the most analogous field in a new tool, but it would be tricky and might lead to unforeseen frustrations. Here are two in-the-meantime solutions I hope will help.

If this is something you do only occasionally, try just selecting the Greek word in the Mounce dictionary and amplifying to Greek Keys via the toolbar or Library.

If you want both dictionaries to appear each time you triple-click, try this. Triple-click a word to open the Mounce dictionary. This tab will automatically be recycled so it gets re-used the next time you triple-click. Now open the Greek Keys dictionary, switch the field to Key Number, and insert the LINK command using the keyboard shortcut shift-command-L. Be sure to link the Greek Keys to your Mounce dictionary. Now whenever you triple-click, the Mounce Dictionary will be updated to look up the new key number, and the Greek Keys will update to search for that same key number. Then you can just switch back and forth between the two tabs.

Hope this helps.

Tony, when you change the tool displayed in a window, it automatically defaults to the first field of that tool. We could try to make it switch to the most analogous field in a new tool, but it would be tricky and might lead to unforeseen frustrations. Here are two in-the-meantime solutions I hope will help.

Note that this does work differently in the iOS app. When you go to change the tool module to be searched, it will attempt to keep the field the same if it exists in the new tool module. Otherwise it will also switch to the first field like the desktop does.

Thanks, David & Scott for the information/clarification. Right now I will probably create me a workspace that has the LINK command suggested by David. Having used Accordance for over three years daily I am constantly learning things that it can do. It is hard to retain some of the tips and techniques unless one uses them in real study situations. I feel sure I will retain this one.

Having said this, I think the iOS approach of keeping the same field (unless unavailable) is more intuitive.

I am truly thankful for all you folks at Accordance. You are helpful, kind, and friendly. A real treasure in this world today.

To clarify, Accordance on the desktop does attempt to match the fields when swapping between tools. For example, if you are searching Greek Content in Mounce Greek Dictionary, then switch to Greek Keys, it'll retain the Greek Content field. The problem here is that Greek Keys uses a field called 'Key Number', while Mounce Greek uses 'Strong’s Number', so Accordance has difficulty matching them. We'll take a look at this to see if the matching can be made a little bit smarter for 10.0.3.