Synonyms for 'kudos'

Alistair

Does anyone know any Greek (or Hebrew) synonyms for 'kudos' that could be used in vernacular English?

Thanks

According to the dictionary in OS X, kudos means "praise and honor received for an an achievement."

So consider something like εὐλογία καὶ ἡ τιμὴ from Revelation 5:13. It's not a nice one word correspondence, but such things rarely are. Perhaps if you wanted a one word equivalent, you could just use εὐλογία.

There are similar equivalents in the Hebrew Bible.

Depends on what use you mean.

If the use is an exclamatory response, as in: "I got a medal." "Kudos"

I might go with γένοιτο, which is the closest I think of from the NT.

But, used as a substantive, as in "She deserves many kudos.", the problem is that this is so often built into the verb.

I would not use blessing or honor, but rather think καύχημα or καύχησις are the best choice, possibly δόξα.

In the context "Kudos to you…"

I will reply "And εὐλογία / γένοιτο [?] to you."

Maybe I should just go with "charis kai eirene" (grace and peace) it was good enough for Paul… but would prefer a one-word snappy comeback.

If the use is an exclamatory response, as in: "I got a medal." "Kudos"

Used like that I would perhaps say "mazel tov", as in your example (exclamatory response) it is the equivalent of "congratulations"

Edited by Alistair

In the context "Kudos to you…"

I will reply "And εὐλογία / γένοιτο [?] to you."

For "Kudos to you", I'd go with καύχησις σοι

Hi,

I think Joe's got it (FWIW) but I don't see how that "could be used in vernacular English".

Alistair, are you looking to establish a phrase to become vernacular English?

Edited by Ken Simpson

I guess I'm looking for a snappy comeback to "Kudos" or "Kudos to you…" that says the same thing, only more so.

I had never heard of kudos until relatively recently when I found it all over the Internet.

I wondered if there was another Greek word that could be used, a synonym or other alternative.

I thought kudos would add to my ethos without descending to pathos, but that was an error in my logos.

• 2 months later...

May I mention that κῦδος is a Greek word? It is already used in the Homeric poems, where it is usually translated "glory", or "renown". It often goes together with τιμή. According to Benveniste, the archaic idea was that of a power that a god gives to a man and that increases his strenght and resistance. As a consequence, he can perform feats that otherwise would be very difficult for mortals.

That should have been pointed out, Marco. Well done.

That note is also a good reminder that etymology is barely related to semantics. The contemporary English use of "kudos" is more akin to some other Greek term in the ancient world.