Searching Multiple Bible Translations at One Time

Lynn

How can I do a word search in multiple bible translations at one time? Can I set this up so that the results are highlighted in all translations?

Thank you.

Lynn

How can I do a word search in multiple bible translations at one time? Can I set this up so that the results are highlighted in all translations?

Thank you.

Lynn

You can open a new tab with a different translation and use the link command (shift-command-L) to link the new tab to the first. Be sure the new tab is set to search for words. This will highlight hits in the other translation. Hope that helps

Darryl

You can open a new tab with a different translation and use the link command (shift-command-L) to link the new tab to the first. Be sure the new tab is set to search for words. This will highlight hits in the other translation. Hope that helps

Darryl

Do I have to open a new tab or can I do this with the existing panes that I already have open? That is, I already have multiple panes with a variety of translations as my default configuration. I want to be able to search for a word in ESV (my primary translation), but also see the same search results in the NIV, HCSB, NRSV and other panes that I already have open.

Also, can you please give me some more specifics on how to use the link command? Do I need to do this in the search box? Please provide step by step instructions if possible.

Thank you,

Lynn

Do I have to open a new tab or can I do this with the existing panes that I already have open? That is, I already have multiple panes with a variety of translations as my default configuration. I want to be able to search for a word in ESV (my primary translation), but also see the same search results in the NIV, HCSB, NRSV and other panes that I already have open.

Also, can you please give me some more specifics on how to use the link command? Do I need to do this in the search box? Please provide step by step instructions if possible.

Thank you,

Lynn

You can perform this with your existing tabs. However, the highlighted word(s) will only show in the primary search text. In other words, if your second tab's main search text is the NIV, it will only highlight hits in the NIV text. Here is some step-by-step instructions with each different translation representing a separate tab in the order (Main Tab 1) ESV, (Tab 2) NIV, (Tab 3) HCSB, (Tab 4) NRSV.

1. Select Tab 2 and be sure the search is set for words, and in the argument entry box enter shift-cmd-L then choose the tab ESV.

2. Repeat step one for tabs 3 and 4.

3. Return to your main tab (ESV) and search for a word.

4. Cycle through your open tabs and see the hits in each translation.

Hope that makes sense.

Darryl

After following Darryl's excellent instructions, you can do a few more steps to make it easier to browse the results:

If you detach each of those tabs (Command-Option-T, or Window menu -> Tabs -> Detach Tab), you can get four separate windows so you can view all of them at once. Then, if you Tile your windows (Command-I or Window menu -> Arrange -> Tile Windows), Accordance will resize and place each of them so that all four are neatly organized and positioned on the screen. Finally, you can tie all four of them together, using Window menu -> Tabs -> Tie to xxxx (where xxxx is the name of your first tab (ESV in Darryl's example)). Tie tabs 2, 3,4 to the ESV tab and they'll all stay in scrolling sync with each other.

Its a little bit of setup, but this way you have 4 windows that scroll together and share the same search, which I think is what you are looking for. If you Save the Session (File -> Save Session...), you can always reload it and adapt it for future use.

Here's a screenshot of the finished setup:

You can perform this with your existing tabs. However, the highlighted word(s) will only show in the primary search text. In other words, if your second tab's main search text is the NIV, it will only highlight hits in the NIV text. Here is some step-by-step instructions with each different translation representing a separate tab in the order (Main Tab 1) ESV, (Tab 2) NIV, (Tab 3) HCSB, (Tab 4) NRSV.

1. Select Tab 2 and be sure the search is set for words, and in the argument entry box enter shift-cmd-L then choose the tab ESV.

2. Repeat step one for tabs 3 and 4.

3. Return to your main tab (ESV) and search for a word.

4. Cycle through your open tabs and see the hits in each translation.

Hope that makes sense.

Darryl

Thank you Darryl. I appreciate your help. I was hoping to be able to do this without having to open additional tabs, but it doesn't appear that this is the case.

Lynn

After following Darryl's excellent instructions, you can do a few more steps to make it easier to browse the results:

If you detach each of those tabs (Command-Option-T, or Window menu -> Tabs -> Detach Tab), you can get four separate windows so you can view all of them at once. Then, if you Tile your windows (Command-I or Window menu -> Arrange -> Tile Windows), Accordance will resize and place each of them so that all four are neatly organized and positioned on the screen. Finally, you can tie all four of them together, using Window menu -> Tabs -> Tie to xxxx (where xxxx is the name of your first tab (ESV in Darryl's example)). Tie tabs 2, 3,4 to the ESV tab and they'll all stay in scrolling sync with each other.

Its a little bit of setup, but this way you have 4 windows that scroll together and share the same search, which I think is what you are looking for. If you Save the Session (File -> Save Session...), you can always reload it and adapt it for future use.

Here's a screenshot of the finished setup:

Thank you Joel. This is helpful. As I mentioned to Darryl, I was hoping to be able to do this in the existing panes I have set up rather than having to do it through additional tabs. It doesn't look like Accordance allows this, however.

Lynn

Thank you Joel. This is helpful. As I mentioned to Darryl, I was hoping to be able to do this in the existing panes I have set up rather than having to do it through additional tabs. It doesn't look like Accordance allows this, however.

Lynn

You are correct, this breaks the Accordance paradigm for searching. In a search window, the top part of the search window determines what the search is, but is confined to the one particular text of interest. You'd have to be able to set that top text to 4 or more texts, or do what we did and use separate but linked windows. You can accomplish a similar thing using Search All, but that will only summarize your results, another click is necessary to see the actual hits.

You are correct, this breaks the Accordance paradigm for searching. In a search window, the top part of the search window determines what the search is, but is confined to the one particular text of interest. You'd have to be able to set that top text to 4 or more texts, or do what we did and use separate but linked windows. You can accomplish a similar thing using Search All, but that will only summarize your results, another click is necessary to see the actual hits.

I have to be honest, I'm really surprised Accordance doesn't offer this. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like something that should be a standard search feature. I switched from WordSearch and I used to do this kind of search all the time. I think it would be great if Accordance would add this under the "more options" search menu. In addition to selecting the search range, it would be cool to have the Bible versions in which one wants to search listed also. Or, they could program the system to automatically link the search results to any open Bible versions that are open in the additional panes.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Lynn

I have to be honest, I'm really surprised Accordance doesn't offer this. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like something that should be a standard search feature. I switched from WordSearch and I used to do this kind of search all the time. I think it would be great if Accordance would add this under the "more options" search menu. In addition to selecting the search range, it would be cool to have the Bible versions in which one wants to search listed also. Or, they could program the system to automatically link the search results to any open Bible versions that are open in the additional panes.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

One thing you'll notice in switching to Accordance is that you'll end up adapting your workflow to how the app functions. This happens with all apps in some sense. Accordance isn't designed like other apps, so certain features you have come to expect may not be available, while others you didn't even know were possible will be. This isn't meant to undermine your request in any way.

I think you'll be very "surprised" to see what is in store for Accordance in the future. :-)

Welcome, Lynn!

I noticed no one here mentioned the "Search" [all Bibles] feature located on the bottom of the Resource Palette. It will search every Bible you have for a word, all at once. You can also make custom groups for it to search. A single search will open a page listing every Bible that has the word in it and the number of times it occurs. Click on any Bible to open a new tab with the words highlighted

Joel's screenshot demonstrates that non-tabbed browsing does have some clear advantages for some purposes. Also, once you have that set up, you can save that session under your favorites, and have one click access to amplify to that conglomeration of windows.

All said and done, I think Accordance can very well do what the OP has requested, even thought it may not be in the way originally imagined.

Archived