Hebrew Lexicon

Greg Terry

I'm looking for some insight regarding a Hebrew lexicon. Among those offered for Accordance: BDB, Jenni-Westerman, TWOT, or possibly NIDOTTE which would be the most recommended for an informed lay person with no knowledge of Hebrew but with a strong desire to dig into the text?

I do have a BS from a Bible college and enjoy studying God's Word.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Given you have no Hebrew, I would start with Renn Bible Words (not a lexicon), and NIDOTTE. Then I'd look at adding in TWOT and BDB Complete when you're able, followed by HALOT.

I'm in a similar situation as you for the last year or so I've been trying to pick up Hebew (not going so great) and I find NIDOTTE to be, by far, the most useful place to start. It frequently refers to TWOT, HALOT and BDB and provides some excellent layperson content. I personally like the layout of sections on ANE usage then OT usage.

mikes:

Thanks for the advice. That is the direction in which I had been leaning. I have the NIDNTT and have found it very helpful. I am just not sure if my financial controller (wife) would allow me to spend that much right now, So, I was interested to see how others feel about some of the other resources.

BTW, a very helpful resource for learning Hebrew is www.animatedhebrew.com. There are a series of lectures online. I have found them quite good. I just need to be more disciplined about learning Hebrew.

Thanks, again!

Thanks for the advice. That is the direction in which I had been leaning. I have the NIDNTT and have found it very helpful. I am just not sure if my financial controller (wife) would allow me to spend that much right now, So, I was interested to see how others feel about some of the other resources.

BTW, a very helpful resource for learning Hebrew is www.animatedhebrew.com. There are a series of lectures online. I have found them quite good. I just need to be more disciplined about learning Hebrew.

Thanks for the Hebrew tip! I have the same issue with discipline in a family with 2 girls under 9 years old begging my attention whenever I'm not working (and they well deserve it!).

I honestly would save up for the NIDOTTE before getting anything other then Renn... but that too requires discipline of a different sort :)

Archived