New Testament citations of Isaiah

Jonna Schmidt

Hi, I was reading a book recently which discussed the various interpretations of the authorship of Isaiah. The author was making the claim that the New Testament writers did not assert that Isaiah was the author of the entire book ascribed to him. That went contrary to some of my views, so I wanted to investigate for myself. So, basically, I wanted to look up ALL the NEW TESTAMENT citations of Isaiah.

So, Using Accodance, I tried to use the INFER Command, and I went back to the recent Podcasts. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. Anyway, I had Isaiah as my "source window" and Matthew as my second window. Did the INFER command, and I expected to see Mat 1:23 included. Matt. 1:23

I suggest you consider going to the Parallels Icon in the Resource Palette and select OT in NT. When it opens select reference and in the search box type Isaiah. That should get you started. There are probably some other searches you could run, but this is the fasted way I think to get you started in the text.

John Fidel

Thanks! That works extremely well. I was behind with the podcasts, and so I thought that should use my new knowledge. I thought that an elaborate search was needed -- and actually, your suggestion was far more elegant. Jonna

Hi, Jonna!

Glad to hear you're watching the podcasts. Actually, I have been planning on doing one on using Parallels, but just haven't gotten around to it.

You can improve jfidel's search by entering "Isaiah <AND> Matthew" in the OT in NT Parallel search entry box, or even "Is <AND> Mat." then the search will only locate all the portions of Isaiah quoted by Matthew. And, yes, Matt. 1:23 appears.

I am not sure what went wrong with your INFER search, but some English versions used different translators in the OT and NT. In the RSV, for example, Isaiah has "young woman" and "Immanu-el," while Matthew has "virgin" and "Emmanuel."

Hi, I was reading a book recently which discussed the various interpretations of the authorship of Isaiah. The author was making the claim that the New Testament writers did not assert that Isaiah was the author of the entire book ascribed to him. That went contrary to some of my views, so I wanted to investigate for myself. So, basically, I wanted to look up ALL the NEW TESTAMENT citations of Isaiah.

So, Using Accodance, I tried to use the INFER Command, and I went back to the recent Podcasts. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. Anyway, I had Isaiah as my "source window" and Matthew as my second window. Did the INFER command, and I expected to see Mat 1:23 included. Matt. 1:23

Isa in NT Bar Chart.tiff

Isa in NT Bar Chart #2.tiff

Isa in NT Hits Graph.tiff

Now, of course a better way to do this search would be to use the GNT-T for the NT side and LXX1 for the OT side rather than an English translation. I used NAS95S because it tends to follow the original language word order better than others. But even so the problem is that NAS95S is working from the MT in Isaiah rather than LXX as the NT authors were more likely doing... So if you want I can explain how to set up the INFER with these texts instead if that would help you.

Ok, so I decided to do this anyway...

I mentioned the following in my previous post:

Now some of these hits are not valid citations or allusions. So I adjusted the search from the default and used the 'advanced settings' and but a '0' in each of the boxes so that the search syntax looks like this: [iNFER 6,0,0 NAS95S 3] <AND> [RANGE Isaiah]

There was 64 hits in 39 verses. Here's a bar chart showing the results. Isa in NT Bar Chart #3.tiff

When I did this search, it excluded Matt 1:23. When I did the same exact search but in the original language modules Matt 1:23 did show up. Here's a hits graph of the search results: Isa LXX in NT #1.tiff

I also did the search in reverse (i.e., what phrases in the NT occur in the LXX of Isaiah). Here's a hits graph of the search results:Isa NT in LXX.tiff

I hope all this helped!

Hi, Jonna!

Glad to hear you're watching the podcasts. Actually, I have been planning on doing one on using Parallels, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Dr. J.: Your memory is getting as bad as mine ;). You did do a podcast on parallels a couple of months ago.

Dr. J.: Your memory is getting as bad as mine ;). You did do a podcast on parallels a couple of months ago.

Oops. No wonder I could set up that search so easily!

I obviously need a vacation! [chuckle]

Thanks for all your help. I need to re-review the podcasts. NOT sure why my NAS95S eliminated Mat 1:23, but will re-do my searches, and try again. I thought that I had set it up appropriately -- and that's why I asked for help. Will try again with your suggestions.

Archived