Need Advice on Greek and Hebrew Study Guides

circuitrider

Accordance with all of its available tools has really piqued my interest in increasing my Greek knowledge and beginning Hebrew studies.

I am looking for recommendations for the self-learner at the introductory level.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm working through William Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, getting ready for seminary entrance exams. It is very thorough and paced well, with lots of encouragement by the author along the way when things seem a little overwhelming. I also use the workbook that goes with the text. Doing the exercises, which are mainly translation exercises from scripture, is always enjoyable. I use Accordance to help me develop vocabulary and grammar recognition in context by reading the ESVS with the GNT-T and Net notes windows open. I try to read the Greek and when I get stuck I look at the ESVS or the instant details window. I use flashcards, too.

I was so pleased with the Mounce textbook that I went with the Basics of Biblical Hebrew for my Hebrew text, also published by Zondervan. The authors are Gary D. Pratico and Miles V. van Pelt. The book's physical dimensions are bigger, which helps with reading the vowel points. It is a very good text and has a workbook as well.

I'm spending about 3 hours a day on each language and can get through about 2 1/2 chapters a week in the Mounce and 2 chapters in the Pratico and van Pelt.

I did some research before picking the texts. The seminary I'm applying to has their own text, but I think it is perhaps better suited for classroom study than self study.

Good luck! I'm sure that you'll get lots of good advice on this forum.

Circuitrider,

I'd encourage you to buy an English translation with key numbers (KJVS, ESVS, or NAS95S) text (if you haven't already) and put it in parallel panes with the GNT-T and the BHS-W4. Drag your cursor along the English text as you are reading and note the highlighting in Hebrew [or Greek]. This will help you get familiar with the word order in those languages. Watch the instant details box as you do and you'll see the root form of each word in the original language.

Drag your cursor across each word in the original language text and you'll see each word highlighted in the English translation. You'll also see the original language word parsed and translated in the original details box. You can ever select a verse or two and click "parse" on the Resource palette. Accordance will produce a list of words in [verse] order, parsed and translated.

Make this a habit in your daily reading and you'll quickly develop a "feel" for these languages. In fact, some people recommend learning Greek and Hebrew using this sort of inductive study [though having Accordance makes it MUCH easier].

I'm more of a deductive person myself, so I prefer the grammars, word lists, etc., but this kind of study does help balance the deductive approach—and gives some immediate rewards for one's efforts.

Archived