Need Help Choosing a Greek Text

circuitrider

I have started my journey back into the Greek. I appreciate the tips offered by others on a previous post. I decided to go with William Mounce. Basics of Biblical Greek seems to be a great resource and I am enjoying it thus far. For anyone interested, this and other texts of his are available as Accordance Modules.

I am trying to decide what Greek text to go with. Nestle-Aland seems to be the way to go. However, I am wondering what the difference is between the GNT-TR and the GNT-T modules that Accordance offers. I presently own the GNT-TR, do I need to also obtain the GNT-T for further Greek studies?

Any suggestions on Accordance Modules and printed resources would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, CircuitRider!

The GNT-T and the GNT-TR are both grammatically tagged texts. The difference between them is that they are different Greek texts of the NT. The GNT-TR is the textus receptus, sometimes called the majority text. It is the one on which the KJV is based.

The GNT-T is the text you probably want, as it is the 27th edition of the Nestle-Aland eclectic text. The notes for the text are included, but the apparatus is not. I'm not sure of all the legal reasons why, but to get the apparatus you must purchase the Mac Studienbibel CD-ROM: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/detai...id=Studienbibel. It has the apparatus for both the GNT and the BHS, as well as some other goodies. It is worth a hard look, at the very least.

The other possibility for an apparatus is the CNTTS: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/detai...CNTTS+Apparatus. Its apparatus is far more complete. It too deserves serious consideration.

I usually recommend the apparatus found in the UBS GNT to students. It's far less complete, but has the advantage of grading every decision of the textual critics with regard to certainty: A-D. Unfortunately, I do not know that it is available on any platform. For a truly excellent replacement, consider Metzger's Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/detai...Text+Commentary.

I assume, from your username, that you are a pastor, with preaching responsibilities. If so, you'll appreciate the extra tools, as they will give you insights into the variations from translation to translation that many be found in your congregants' hands.

Eventually, you'll also want commentaries that deal with the Greek text. The "big three" are Word Biblical Commentary, Eerdman's NICGNT and Hermeneia. All are available for Accordance—or will be very shortly. :) These latter are pricey investments, but will out perform, dollar for dollar, a truck load of lesser commentaries long, long after the truck itself has rusted out.

Dr. J,

Thank you for the very informative reply! I am grateful for the help.

CircuitRider

Archived