How to search for clauses without a beginning conjunction?

Jonathan C. Borland

Dear Fellow Accordance Users,

How can I search for clauses in the GNT that do not begin with conjunctions, either KAI or the postpositive DE (among the most common).

For example, I'm thinking of clauses like Matt 1:2:

Αβρααμ εγεννησεν τον Ισαακ.

I'm new to Accordance and excited about the clause module but don't even know how to do such a simple search as this! Somebody, please help!

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament

If I understand correctly, you want to search for independent clauses.

If so, you will need to:

1. Open the Search text window, and select GNT-T
  2. Open a Greek construct window
  3. Drag Clause and drop it into the first column
  4. When prompted, choose independent

I hope this does it.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I gave up and sent the question to the top. ;-)

Try this:

post-29948-0-84217600-1325536449_thumb.png

Oops! I didn't read carefully. I somehow went on as if you wanted DE or KAI. You didn't. Thanks to Robert for coming to the rescue!

Thank you so much for showing me how to do this! I absolutely love the search capabilities of Accordance. Thanks to the creators for such a great program.

• 3 months later...

Hello Accordancers!

I'm an Accordance novice just coming back to this after a long hiatus and am trying to replicate the search that Robert so kindly created for us above. For some reason, I keep getting this error message when I press the search button: "This construct window uses a PHRASE or CLAUSE. Therefore the linked Search window must use a Chapter or Book field. Therefore the linked Search window must use a Chapter or Book field."

I've done various things in a vain attempt to do what I think it wants me to do, but am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament

The search window (the window with your text, not the construct) is probably set to search in every verse. Change that drop-down to chapter instead.

Precisely right. Thanks for the quick response, Jonathan.

The reason for this is that the syntax of a clause may (often!) goes beyond verse boundaries. This is also sometimes true even the artificial chapter boundaries.

Therefore, we strongly suggest setting the search range to "BOOK" (not chapter).

Dear Friends,

Thanks so much for the help! I wondered why this solution never occurred to me, and then I realized that (on my laptop) whenever I open a construct window the search range drop down menu disappears (due to lack of space on my laptop to displaying both windows in one workspace)! When I moved the divider to increase the size of the search/text window and decrease the size of the construct window, the drop down menu reappears.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

Edited by Jonathan C. Borland