iPhone

teambeck

Since Web 2.0 is the announced means for developers to write iPhone applications, I would like to see a Web 2.0 version of Accordance and this seems very practical. Here are a few random connected thoughts regarding what this would mean and look like.

• Subscription model. There would be a free version with public domain Bibles. Start out here for initial development. Then as you get to a solid 1.0 version, people could subscribe to the Bibles they want. (This could be another income stream for the company.)
  • Start small and create the focused killer app. Accordance's basic, well implemented, fast search capabilities would be part of what makes this a compelling app to beat all the other online Bible tools which are hard to use/not intuitive.
  • Base the interface off of Accordance. Make as much room, interface wise, as possible for Bible text and reference display. That is the reason you have a Bible. Too much interface clutter makes it not a Bible program.
  • I've noticed many web pages now have the ability to display pop up text when you hover your mouse over a word. This has obvious parallels to the instant details window.
  • The key to the success of such an app would be to make it as Mac and Accordance like as possible, IMO. Get the basic parts of Accordance well implemented (compelling in and of itself) and then begin to add features as they can be elegantly implemented.
  • Cool things. Can you imagine multi-touch being used on the Bible text? Swipe down to scroll through the Bible text. Swipe left or right to go to the chapter prior or after.

Wanting Accordance on my iPhone to be *THE* Bible app on the iPhone! Mike

I thought we had already addressed this issue on the Forum or Blog, but I cannot find it, so I guess it has just been in repeated emails.

The new announcement only invites developers to write applications for Safari (Web 2 applications) which will then run on the iPhone. This limits the iPhone to web applications. Accordance cannot be made to run inside Safari. No doubt there will be Bible software that can run on it, but how that will be different from accessing a Bible search site on the web, I cannot imagine.

Whenever Apple makes full OS X functionality available on a handheld, we will certainly attempt to adapt Accordance to that hardware/software, but until then it would be a waste of our time. Accordance works as it does because it is not a web based application. If we tried to convert it, it would end up being a text reader with simple search and display functions only.

If we tried to convert it, it would end up being a text reader with simple search and display functions only.

But what's wrong with that? That's all I really need. If I want to use the full features of Accordance, I'll sit at my computer, not try to use the small screen on a phone.

I think you're right that someone will produce a web 2.0 Bible for the iPhone. If I get an iPhone (and that's still a pretty big IF), I would want a simple Bible reader. Right now, I use the Bible Reader from Olive Tree Software on my Treo. I have installed the Greek NT and the NASB with Greek and Hebrew dictionaries. These are all that I need in the rare situation that I'm not near one of my computers.

I realize it might also be a matter of resources on OakTree's part as well, but I'd say consider making a basic text reader Bible for the iPhone. Call it Accordance-lite. Folks like me are going to want this kind of thing, and we'll spend our money somewhere. Frankly, I'd rather support OakTree than someone else.

Though this is completely off topic, I am writing this reply from a fancy new iPhone! Its pretty sweet. :)

That hurts, Joel. That really hurts...

Jeremy

BTW, how's the browsing on the iPhone?

Hey! Don't get the wrong idea, he was just trying it out at the AT&T store. He didn't actually buy it though I am sure he would love to.

That hurts, Joel. That really hurts...

Jeremy

BTW, how's the browsing on the iPhone?

Yeah, I was just playing with it, thought I'd check up on my favorite site :) Anyway, browsing is like they said, just like real browsing. Flash doesn't work, but everything else was 100% accurate. Scrolling and zooming with the fingers was quick and easy. Typing took a bit of getting used to, but I'm confident that after a few days of use it'd be far faster than any sort of existing cellphone typing. Any other questions? *if* I end up buying it, it'll be at least a few week, probably more like a few months so I can see how the bugs work out (and save some money).

I was at an apple store today. I wanted one very bad. I decided to wait about a month or so for the bugs to get worked to......ok I lied its because Im cashless and my wife will kill me if I get one right now. So basically Ill hold off so I dont have to sleep on the floor :)

Though this is completely off topic, I am writing this reply from a fancy new iPhone! Its pretty sweet. :)

This however was sent for an iPhone. :-)

Gotta love working in IT. Great company paid benefits.

I decided to get an iPhone. The main application I miss that was on my Treo is a Bible program :-(

I decided to get an iPhone. The main application I miss that was on my Treo is a Bible program :-(

I'm thinking ebible is a good web based app for some basic Bible study on the iPhone.

I'm thinking ebible is a good web based app for some basic Bible study on the iPhone.

I'm sure someone will make a web 2.0 page based on one of these sites that will show up well on the iPhone's browser. But I've seen no good solutions yet.

I'm sure someone will make a web 2.0 page based on one of these sites that will show up well on the iPhone's browser. But I've seen no good solutions yet.

Have you looked at ebible on the iPhone yet? Does it not display well on it?

Have you looked at ebible on the iPhone yet? Does it not display well on it?

It's not ideal. It would do in a pinch, but there's still a need for a true iPhone formatted scripture client.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured this would arrive soon.

BTW, Rick, congrats on getting mentioned on Justin's blog.

Im on my companies business plan for att. I get 50% off phones but come to find out it was every phone except the iphone. So that being said it put the iphone out of my reach. I ended up getting a blackberry curve which I have used a few days now. Very nice phone there is even some free Bible software I put on it. So maybe in a few more years Ill be able to get an iphone but just didnt happen for me this time around. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

I never ended up getting an iphone. I did order a ipod touch. Cant wait for that to get here. At 16GB the size is more to my liking.

• 1 month later...

I see very little value for a very few users in porting Accordance on the iPhone, even with the SDK. As an iPhone user the user interface is simply not designed for this type of application. Moreover, sometimes getting what you want means not getting what your really want. If the Accordance team devoted their time and attention to an iPhone application I'm sure it would cut into development on the Mac OS X native version and result in slower development of new features. Is that what we really want?

Besides, there are already a slew of iPhone-friendly Bible software sites online and working today.

Peace,

Jeremy

I would agree with Jeremy. How often do people really use their phones/PDA's for Bible Study? Maybe this is a mute point, but has anyone actually sat down to study planning on just using their phone/PDA? Maybe for a quick reference, but to study? Just my thoughts.

Archived