Context slider resets when opening Acc 10

Scott Stringer

The new automated context slider settings default to set a verse search to "A". When I slide it back to "0" (where I want it for some searches), then close and re-open Accordance, or just close and re-open that workspace, each verse search tab that I have open in the workspace reverts back to "A" on the slider. Not sure if this is intended behavior, a design oversight, or a bug. Either way, wasn't expected and does increase workload. Thanks!

-Scott

Scott - Please forgive the maybe dumb post, but did you set it back to "0" in the Accordance prefs, or in the window itself? Believe me, I don't mean to be insulting, but with the new version there are things in the prefs that weren't there before.

Not insulting at all! :) I set it on the tab itself. I don't mind the default for a new search to be "A". But when I set it to "0", I expect it to stay there for that window until I change it again. The default setting should be for new searches, not to reset previous searches every time the window is re-opened. Does that make sense?

I guess for now, I'll just need to leave the "Add Automatic Context" box unchecked. I do like the feature, though. I guess Acc re-performs the search every time the window is opened, so the "Auto Context" feature is just doing what it was designed to do. This is an annoying side effect when opening a workspace with various tabs of small segments of scripture that I intend to use for a slide show (as I learned to do from David Lang's recent blog series on teaching from Accordance!). I like the technique, and it's made for some great lessons in my last several classes.

Scott, I think that in the next release, Accordance should be clairvoyant! Intuitive is just not enough anymore. (I really am joking here.)

I have learned that what I use for default has to be reset in the pane for a given use. When I read in Accordance, I like to have the text display as "paragraphs with space", but for our youth Sunday school, it is sometimes better displayed as individual verses so that our students can more easily locate the verse under discussion. I will frequently get a window set up with tabs displaying the way I want it, then just save the workspace, just like you do for slide show mode. If I do a search in one of those tabs when I leave slide show mode, Accordance reverts to my default. Since I read more than teach, that's OK by me.

I've had the same problem as the OP, and the settings in the Preferences, which I knew about and tried out different combinations, did not help. It was not possible to fix without creating a new workspace. My guess is it has to do with how 10.0.1 saves workspaces. Just a guess.