Improved English Bible Searches

Jordan S

I haven't seen this posted anywhere. I would like to be able to see the HITS of an original language search appear in any tagged English Bible, as well as, have the ability to highlight those hits. I am specifically thinking about grammatical tags. For example, if I searched for a verb perf 3 masc sing in the Greek, I would want to see those hits in the English.

While I'm thinking about highlights, I would like the option to change the color of an actual word that's being highlighted, not necessarily limited to a highlighting layer.

We considered the former but I think it would be very slow to highlight all the matching words throughout in the text. And as you'll see when you mouse over the words, the cross highlighting isn't always correct. One would really need a database like the MT-LXX Parallel to match the original text with a specific translation, and it would take a lot of programming to implement.

I am not a programmer, so I don't understand the complexities that are involved. I definitely don't want to compromise the speed of Accordance.

I was asked to teach a class on how to use Logos this fall at my church for laity and pastors. While preparing for that, I was able to search the ESV for all verbs of any form. I thought that is a great feature for those who are either weak in Gk/Heb or have no knowledge at all. But, perhaps this is another reason why Logos is so slow?

I prefer Accordance and that's what I recommend to people. But right now, I am a isolated Accordance user teaching 50 people how to use Logos! It's a shame. I feel like I'm in exile. I will say, I recently shared the gospel of Accordance this past week and had 1 convert! It was exhilarating.

What if you performed this search in the GNT or BHS and displayed the interlinear with your preferred English tagged text? While it doesn't highlight the English word, hovering over the hits that are highlighted can show you pretty easily how they match up.

Now what would be slick is if you could view 'details' like Analysis or a Graph based on the text(s) being used in the interlinear.

Edited by Rick Bennett

I did that with the interlinear, but it's not really the same effect as reading the text with words that have been emphatically highlighted.

I don't think I understand what you are saying about viewing the details of the interlinear.

What if you had the ability to generate a list of key numbers for the words that you had searched in the Greek. Seems

like that would open the door for a lot of creative searching in others tagged texts.