Module Version Numbers

Martin Shields

I would find it helpful if the module information pages included the current version number. For example, I have HALOT and I know that there's a newer version, but there's no way to tell this from the module information page (unless I've missed it). Is this information available anywhere, or can it be made available?

I know there's a new widget which should tell me the latest version of any module I have, but I prefer not to use widgets at all.

Yes. I will be updating version numbers on the website, but they only appear when you use the widget, sorry. It will take me a few days. If you do not use the widget you must write to us to ask what upgrades apply to you.

In most (if not all) cases, you can look up the version of the module from within Accordance. Just like looking up publishing or year information for a module, having the module active then selecting "About The Text..." from the Accordance menu will display lots of helpful information, including the Version number at the bottom of the window.

In most (if not all) cases, you can look up the version of the module from within Accordance. Just like looking up publishing or year information for a module, having the module active then selecting "About The Text..." from the Accordance menu will display lots of helpful information, including the Version number at the bottom of the window.

I am aware of that, but what I wanted was the ability to find out what the latest version of each module is. So I can easily check that I have version 2.0 of HALOT as you suggest, but I cannot check what the current version of HALOT is from OakSoft without using the widget.

I'm not even sure that the widget will give me correct information in this instance because my Modules list for HALOT includes the code "KB" not "HALOT" which the information the widget uses contains.

That's easy: every module in Accordance has the version number in the About The Text item in the Accordance menu.

By default this comes up every time you open the module, but you have probably followed our advice and turned it off in the Preferences.

The harder problem is to know the version number of the latest version. I will soon update this information on the website, with the updated modules in our new CD-ROMs. The note that appears in the widget can only give the current upgrade path that applies to most users. There will always be some discrepancies. Modules that change their name, like KB-HALOT, will not be picked up by the widget. In some About The Text pages the version number is not formatted correctly, as this was not critical until the widget, and this can not be corrected until the module is re-released. I know you do not want to use the widget, but I added this for those who do -- the widget is only a guide. We have some plans to update it and expand its function.

Archived