Accordance-Mellel-Bookends

Ken Han

Hi.

I'm slowly learning to use Accordance with Mellel, and wanted to know if there are any Bookends (from Sonny Software) users on this forum. I'm trying to assess how useful Bookends is to Biblical research/study. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

KH

Hi Ken,

I've been using Bookends 8 now for a few months, and like it much better than EndNote, which I used through several versions. The developer is also EXTREMELY responsive to emails--I've had several exchanges with him in which we would exchange half a dozen or so messages in one afternoon discussing features. The integration with Mellel is quite robust, as well, though I haven't generated too many long documents with tons of notes.

As for any biblical studies-specific features, Bookends does include a list of standard biblical studies journal abbreviations (a glossary file, which you can find and edit under the Utilities > Journal Glossary submenu), and it does support Unicode entry into fields. The live search box is also very handy for quickly finding references by keyword.

J. P. Kang

Research Associate

Princeton Theological Seminary

Hello all--

I agree with J. P.

I've only been using Bookends for a couple of weeks (thus far, only building a database: currently up to 10,000+ volumes.)

Coupled with their (free) Reference Miner app, it is a strong tool, and easy to use.

RE the responsiveness of Jon: let's just say he has a seemingly "email omnipresence." His level of support alone makes me want to recommend Bookends.

Blessings,

Steve Raine

• 3 months later...

I think, as Kang explained already, BookEnds 8.0 (only from 8.0, the Unicode is supported) is essential for Biblical study students.

I made myself SBL style Bibliography and Footnote style with Journal Glossaries according to SBL handbook style, and I arrange whole articles and book that I read with BookEnds.

(But, you can make just 27 different style, that is only thing that I feel the loss.)

You can join BookEnds Forum, and get some good information.

There are many useful sources.

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB2/index.php

I'm another Bookends user. I migrated from Endnote about 6 months ago and I'm very happy with it. The integration with Mellel is extremely useful. I'm using it for a 80,000 word thesis and it copes just fine.

Archived