Jewish Study Bible Revised and Expanded

Gedalya

What are the chances of getting an update for the Jewish Study Bible which has now been release in its SECOND edition?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Study-Bible-Second/dp/0199978468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417162932&sr=8-1&keywords=jewish+study+bible+second+edition

Q&A with the Editors

Q: What led to the decision to revise the Jewish Study Bible?

A: It has been ten years since the first edition of JSB was published. During that time our knowledge of the Bible and of ancient Israel has advanced tremendously. At the same time, a new generation of scholars has entered the field, with fresh approaches to the study of the Bible. We wanted to build on our very successful first edition by introducing our readers to new knowledge and new approaches.

Q: How extensive are the revisions?

A: They are very extensive. Many books of the Bible have entirely new annotations / commentaries, by new authors, and all have been revised to reflect new scholarship. The essays have been revised, some by new authors. In addition, many new essays on a wide variety of topics have been added, ranging from topics such as the calendar to the place of the Bible in American Jewish culture.

Q: What has changed in research in Biblical Studies since the publication of the first edition?

A: We now have a much broader and sophisticated appreciation of how the Bible came to be the Bible, and how its various parts were re-shaped and interpreted in ancient times. Much current emphasis is on the Persian and Hellenistic periods, when the biblical canon and its earliest interpretation were developing. The history and archaeology of these periods have given us a firmer grasp on how Jewish identity was being formed. This, in turn, helps us to better understand the development of the biblical text and its message for the audiences of those times. We recognize that there were multiple Jewish communities with differing views on certain matters, and we are sensitive to the many voices reflected (or suppressed) within the biblical books. Finally, even when scholars recognize that biblical books are composite and have a complex editorial history, it is valuable to examine the final form that an editor imposed upon them, and what this final form may mean.

Q: Where do you see Biblical Studies heading in the next 10 years?

A: We are neither prophets not children of prophets (Amos 7:14). It is likely that further archaeological discoveries will help us better understand certain passages and institutions. Perhaps the debate raging about dating biblical literature will be resolved, and we will be able to better understand biblical books in their historical contexts. Finally, it is important to remember that Jewish participation in mainstream biblical scholarship began only half a century ago, and it is likely that in the coming decade Jewish scholars will find new ways of integrating classical Jewish sources with critical approaches.

• Like 4

This would interest me.

I, too, would be interested in this!

I know there likely wouldn't be an upgrade price but I would go for this for sure...

-Dan

Doing a second edition means redoing the entire module for rather little return. How much are you willing to pay for the upgrade? In print you would pay full price.

I would not expect much of a discount at all if any....This is not a minor update but over 200 pages of new information. I personally would consider it nice if we could get a $5-$10 discount, but as I said I would still be interested myself if I had to pay full price.

-Dan

• Like 1

Doing a second edition means redoing the entire module for rather little return. How much are you willing to pay for the upgrade? In print you would pay full price.

I'd be willing to pay full price, but of course I can't speak for anyone, else.

I'd be willing to pay full price also (minus any discounts I may be entitled to)

Btw, it is available already on Kindle, although it must be said that the kindle version is cumbersome to navigate.

…it is important to remember that Jewish participation in mainstream biblical scholarship began only half a century ago…

I never knew that. Why the delay?

Before World War II and Hitler's pogrom you must remember anti-Semitism was a simple fact. Many Jews tried to emigrate from Germany and were faced with walls of rejection no one wanted them. That type of atmosphere dose not lead to a spirit of calibration. There have been bright moments of interfaith cooperation in the first 1900 years of Church history but more often than not the Jews were seen in such a harsh light... They were denied land ownership, called repeatedly Christ killers and money hungry. I also think the Deadsea scrolls lead to a renewed interest in Hebraic scholarship as well which would lead to more cooperation as they worked on piecing together them together and better understanding them.

-Dan

Alistari,

I believe that he is referring to mainstream academic critical biblical scholarship. Some of the most famous in the modern period are Yehezkiel Kaufmann and Umberto Cassuto of the Hebrew University. And most recently, Jacob Milgrom, Moshe Greenberg, Shalom Paul, Moshe Weinfeld and many others too numerous to mention here.

Of course, there is a plethora of traditional Jewish biblical scholarship before them (and who these contemporary scholars quote in their commentaries) especially during the middle ages with commentaries like Ibn Ezra, Ramban, Rambam,Rashi and many others.

• 1 month later...

I am willing to pay the full price.

• Like 1

I'd be willing to pay full price, but of course I can't speak for anyone, else.

I'd pay full price.

• 3 weeks later...

How much are you willing to pay for the upgrade? In print you would pay full price.

I'm hoping you're talking about the paperback version.

$43. $35 (I don't have the original Edition):

How much are you willing to pay for the upgrade?

Edited by Unix

• 2 years later...

Seeing the original excellent version of the jps jsb on sale at the moment reminded me of this thread. I appreciate you struggle with oup and have lots of other works in the pipeline but wondered if there are any plans on getting this?

Thanks.

;o)

(I got the original version in hard copy as soon as it was published and then when it was available on accordance as it is invaluable but have resisted getting the 2nd version on hard copy in the hope of getting a turbo charged eversion available on all platforms so always with me)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2