Links to texts in Mounce dictionaries

Steven Foster

When I click on the NIV link in an entry in the Mounce Greek or Hebrew dictionaries I get the message 'This hyperlink cannot be shown because the module "NIV11-GK" is not installed.

For the NIV I have NIV11 installed, but not NIV11-GK; however, I do have NIV-G/K installed (the 1984 version of the NIV, with G/K numbers).

Is there a reason why the Mounce dictionaries do not provide links to the NIV-G/K module? Are there other modules with Strongs or G/K numbers that do not have links? Is there a way for me to link to my NIV text from these dictionaries?

Our current method for creating links like this requires us to specify a particular resource. Given that the NIV-G/K was only available for purchase in few CDs and has now been removed for sale by Zondervan, we made the decision to use the NIV11-GK. The links require GK tagging, so the NIV11 will not work (note that the upgrade from the NIV11 to GK is only $20).

I think we can also discuss an option to use the NIV-G/K if the NIV11-GK is not installed; but I will have to get feedback from others on this.

Its a bit more hassle, but you can always copy and paste the GK number into a [KEY G1001] search in NIV G/K. The KEY command is in the Search -> Enter Command menu or Shift-Command-K.

• Like 1

I hope it will be possible to provide a way to link to NIV-G/K, Rick. As is the case with many churches, we are still using the 1984 NIV. Upgrading my NIV11 to GK would not really help, as the 2011 version differs from the 1984 in many places.

Joel, I appreciate the workaround. As you say, though, it's hardly the same as clicking on a link!

If you obtained the NIV11-GK and had it parallel to the NIV-G/K, then putting your cursor over the word of interest in NIV would highlight the corresponding word in NIV11. Triple clicking that word in NIV11 would take you to the desired entry in Kohlenberger/Mounce Hebrew or Mounce Greek. It would be a quicker work around than Joel's, and requires no reprogramming for a module Accordance can no longer sell.

Just a thought...

• Like 1

If you obtained the NIV11-GK and had it parallel to the NIV-G/K, then putting your cursor over the word of interest in NIV would highlight the corresponding word in NIV11. Triple clicking that word in NIV11 would take you to the desired entry in Kohlenberger/Mounce Hebrew or Mounce Greek. It would be a quicker work around than Joel's, and requires no reprogramming for a module Accordance can no longer sell.

This is the wrong way round! What's missing is a way to click on a link in the Mounce dictionaries to bring up the verses in NIV-G/K.

Hi Steven, the workaround Michael has suggested works the other way around too. When you click on the NIV link in the Tool, it will currently open the NIV11-G/K. If you open the NIV-G/K in parallel and don't close it, then every time you click on the NIV link it will take you to the verse in both NIV11 and NIV (though it might be more useful to pair say the ESVS with the NIV for a spread of translational options).

You could save this workspace and use it anytime you are doing this sort of study.

It's a workaround, but it might work well enough for the time being.

• Like 1

I understand that Steven doesn't want to purchase an additional text that he has no need for as a 'workaround', but the ESV idea isn't bad at all. Just click the ESV link and have the NIV-G/K in parallel; hover over the hit and see your result. That is the fastest solution for now, since programming to account for this is likely lower on the priority list right now.

• Like 1

Thanks, Ken. I've tried that and it works quite neatly, if a little clunky because of the need to 'hover' in each case.

Also, you are right, Rick - as I can use key-numbered texts that are already in my library, I'm unlikely to upgrade my NIV11 to the GK module.

I hope programming to include NIV-G/K will still be possible. As I have said, the 1984 NIV is widely used; since it's the Bible used by the church that I pastor, I need to work with this version.

Glad to help Steven, I am well known for being clunky ;)

BTW - my church uses the NIV84 as well. My experience is that there are not that many substantive difference, though that doesn't really help in the issue.