NIV 2011 with Enhanced Goodrick-Kohlenberger Key Numbers & Phrase Tagging

R. Mansfield

This is really cool, and really useful. The upgrade from the NIV-G/K is very reasonably priced, too. And thanks for the video. Very well done. Kudos to the Accordance team.

I can see a lot of use for this. I wish it were available in my favorite tagged English text, NKJVS. I am sure that if this proves popular (which I expect it will be) then other tagged texts will get this enhancement as well.

Yes I have seen it.

And I have look if it comes in the pay-side of the Accordance updates. That were good to sell it.

And what Tony said for the NKJVS and all other texts too :)

Greetings

Fabian

Just started playing around with the new enhanced upgrade. Fantastic resource. I can see it being very useful.

Hmm.

I saw in the last time a update to the NIV with G/K to v 2.0. I updated but I don't have what Rick has in the Video. Is there a paid option or so? When yes it is confusing in the Store.

Greetings

Fabian

Yes Fabian, it is a paid option. I too was a little confused when I first looked at the link. The cost is $19.90 for the upgrade. I first thought that was a little steep but then I realized how much time it must have taken to code this. If it were the NKJVS I would not hesitate, but since I rarely use the NIV 11 other than as a comparison it is not as easy of a decision. I do usually keep Mounce NT open in a parallel since it too uses phrase tagging.

Yes Fabian, it is a paid option. I too was a little confused when I first looked at the link. The cost is $19.90 for the upgrade. I first thought that was a little steep but then I realized how much time it must have taken to code this. If it were the NKJVS I would not hesitate, but since I rarely use the NIV 11 other than as a comparison it is not as easy of a decision. I do usually keep Mounce NT open in a parallel since it too uses phrase tagging.

Tony – I thought it was a very inexpensive upgrade for the added value. I am not a big fan of the NIV11, either, not being into 'inclusiveness,' and preferring a formal version over a 'mediating' or functional one. But this semester in school my husband and I have used the NIV11-GK a lot, deciding that the precision of the G/K numbering system made it better fit for what we were trying to do. (We're taking 'pre-Hebrew' = Hebrew For the Rest of Us). We've run other versions in parallel. The more complete tagging of the NIV11-G/K made it easier to figure out what was going on in the other versions. This new enhanced version will make it even more useful.

My choice for a second enhanced text would be the NAS95 or the ESV. But I'm not convinced that will happen. Both of those are already tagged with Strong's (or semi-Strong's in the case of the NAS95).

• Like 2

Thanks Tony

Interesting If I do a search in the shop for NIV or enhanced the Target of the link above is not showing. So I don't find it. Even it the E-Mail that comes before a few minutes don't have a link that function.

And in the pay options of the Accordance update-site is it not listed nor in the all-in-all list.

Greetings

Fabian

Hi Julie

Yes the NAS95 has the worst tagging from all Bibles in Accordance. For a few Months i wrote to them but they won't do it better.

Greetings

Fabian

I likely will get it but not too soon, I know it is only $19.90 but I can wait...

-Dan

Yes the NAS95 has the worst tagging from all Bibles in Accordance. For a few Months i wrote to them but they won't do it better.

I might be wrong, but I think the NASB was done by the publisher, not by Accordance, so they don't have control over it.

Hello Jonathan

Yes I write to the publisher.

Dear Fabian,

Thank you for using the NASB Concordance. I am sorry to say that we do not have an updated Strong’s Concordance and there are no plans at this time to do so.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

In His Service,
Carole Holdinski
The Lockman Foundation

Fabian –

The additional difficulty raised by the NASB Concordance (and tagging) is that they stuck with the Strong's numbers, but where two words in Strong's are under one number, the NASB Concordance added an a & b after the number to distinguish between the two words. See 31a., 31b.; 32a. 32b., etc. Strong's has no number for αγγελλω or ἄγγος. So the NASB Concordance doesn't agree with Strong's or G/K. Additionally, the concordance itself reflects the NAS77 rather of the NAS95. It's a mess. Not Accordance's fault. I wish Lockman would at least tag the text (NAS95) with GK numbers, and tag it completely, but I don't know if it will ever happen. They're non-profit, I believe. Frankly, since we have Accordance, I can do without the concordance if I had to. Accurate and complete tagging is more important to me.

It would be wonderful if we had at least one English version that falls in the formal equivalence category that is completely tagged. I vote for the NAS95 (1st choice) or ESV (2nd choice).

• Like 3

Fabian,

When you have a problem finding a module, my advice is to use the online chat. My experience has been that the Accordance representatives are most helpful and will help you find what you are looking for and even provide you with a link.

• Like 1

I might also add that if you attend a webinar , you will receive a discount coupon of 15% which you can apply to any purchase (including this module or its update) that is not on a special sale.

• Like 1

it would be awesome if now other Translations of the NIV became the same enhancements. For the rights there must be not a problem to implant the new G / K numbering.

To speak out loud:

Hoffnung für Alle the german NIV also from the same right-holder

Neue Deutsche Übersetzung also from the NIV

Spanisch NVI

Portuguese NVI-PT

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

I will be getting this upgrade once I take care of updating to one of the New 11 Collections. While I don't use the NIV often, it would be helpful when translating the Greek, Mounce NT is hugely helpful here.

If other versions will be receiving the update, I would vote for HCSB & ESV.

CEB +1

I see no prospect of adding the phrase tagging to other translations. We may in future be able to add the G-K numbers.

Helen – G/K numbers would be truly wonderful. Can I help? :) I can always pray!

Strong's and semi-Strong's (I don't know what else to call the NAS95 numbers) seem pretty inadequate. It would be so nice to be able to do a search in one version after another without having to change the numbering system. Or to wonder how many hits were missed because of Strong's oddities.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 2

Hello

English is a foreign language for me and till my greek and hebrew is better I use the new NIV GKE as a crutch. And I must say I love it. Well done Accordance.

For my opinion it were cool if Accordance has the rights to tag all Bibles to the GKE. First it were nice if Accordance prefer to tag another languages with this system and then go back and doing it on more english Bibles.

For me, since Accordance has the flex search the LEM is obsolete. So it would be nice if a german Bible will be tagged in the next round. Maybe the new Elberfelder from which I have the commitment from the publisher that he will send it to the GBS.

Greetings

Fabian

• 2 weeks later...

This is great module but here's one small request. Because Greek words that don't have direct English equivalents are tagged it means there are multiple spaces between certain English words. When you copy and paste a text from NIV11-GKE into another program it pulls all these extraneous spaces along as well. Is there anyway that could be eliminated in a future update. Doesn't seem like an easy solution.

• 6 months later...

Grab it - this week if you don't have it - I love it - and I don't want miss it.

• Like 1