Strange text showing in Zondervan Atlas... anyone else seeing it?

Abram K-J

I was going to place this in Bug Swatters, but am not sure it's a bug. I can send in-app as report correction, but I wanted to see first if anyone else was seeing what I was seeing.

Go to p. 131 in the Atlas (just above the title "Transition to the Monarchy: Samuel and Saul"). Click on the timeline image. Then click the arrow at top right to pop it into its own zone. Now look at the text at the top of the tab (shown as a magnified zone here). Is anyone else showing this? I tried renaming the tab (successfully), but it still shows this name by default next time I open the image.

post-31802-0-58157600-1394503420_thumb.png

In case you can't see it, the text is: "Zuph, dist…:…"

This is strange, but the only thing I can think of is my 21-month old daughter was at the computer with Accordance open (I know... she's eager), so it's possible she could have renamed the tab ("Zuph, dist…:…" sounds like her), but then why would it be showing after I change the tab title, close it, and re-open the image?

UPDATE: I get it for the timeline image at p. 138, too. Maybe present elsewhere, as well.

UPDATE 2:

The very last lines of text in the module are:

Zuph, district of—Area where Saul searched for lost donkeys (1 Sam 9:5).–Uncertain; probably named after Zuphite clan and located in territory of Benjamin, possibly in area of Ramah. 131, 133

Maybe the "Zuph, dist" is coming from here?

The way that those titles are populated is such:

“[Title under which the image falls]… : [caption data associated with the image]…”

It would be interesting to see if this happens with every image that does not have a caption associated with it (as with both of the timelines).

Thanks, Graham--I'll be curious to hear more. Page 150 has another example, FWIW. So, too, page 165. And, yes, neither of those images has a caption.

I think Graham must be correct about such being the case with the images that have no caption. I also checked and even the very first image, the cover of the book has "Zuph, dist…:…" as the title. The solutions seems to be rather easy, captions could be added to those images where they are missing.

I found another issue with the images (at least for me). When I click on the cover image and hit the right arrow on my keyboard the images do not advance to the next image, nor does the on screen arrow work. The same for the second image. However, when I get to the third image the arrows work.

Tony, the issue of being able to advance from one image to the next is a result of how the images have been formatted. If you see a frame around the image, you can use the arrows to advance to other images formatted that way. Images without a frame are usually cover images or decorative images, and Accordance does not let you cycle through those images using the arrows or arrow keys. I'm sure we had some rationale for making that distinction, but I'm not sure what it is! I do know that I sometimes change the format of images in the modules I'm checking to make sure users can cycle through them using the arrows.

Tony, the issue of being able to advance from one image to the next is a result of how the images have been formatted. If you see a frame around the image, you can use the arrows to advance to other images formatted that way. Images without a frame are usually cover images or decorative images, and Accordance does not let you cycle through those images using the arrows or arrow keys. I'm sure we had some rationale for making that distinction, but I'm not sure what it is! I do know that I sometimes change the format of images in the modules I'm checking to make sure users can cycle through them using the arrows.

David, thanks for the explanation. I can see the value of skipping an image which was a decorative divider.

Generally, one of the first things I do when I purchase a new graphic rich tool is to click on one of first few images and press the arrow keys to scan through the images. I can see the value of having the cover formatted to allow the use of the arrow keys for the reason I mentioned.

The Zondervan Atlas has some excellent images.

If/as Accordance produces an update to the Zondervan Atlas module (fixing the "caption data" noted above), I wanted to make one other suggestion/observation.

The "Timeline of Biblical History" on pp. 266-267 actually reads chronologically as follows (using the print)--top image of p. 266, then top image of p. 267, then bottom image of p. 266, then bottom image of p. 267. The Accordance module takes it page-by-page (top p. 266, followed by bottom p. 266, etc.), which means that moving through the four images of this one timeline in Accordance has it out of chronological order. (ABCD becomes ACBD)

There's a similar dynamic on pp. 150-1 ("The Divided Kingdom"), where Accordance has p. 150's image, followed by p. 150's text, then p. 151's image, followed by p. 151's text, but it seems the images on pp. 150-1 go together visually (in print), so could profitably be moved to be right next to each other in Accordance.

In my opinion, this is one instance where a strict adherence to print pagination/layout could be overruled, so that the final product keeps timelines in chronological order when used in Accordance.

If there's going to be a module update anyway, the above seems intuitive at least to me, and could make a good module even better. Someone not having the print edition for comparison will probably puzzle over the timeline at the end of the Accordance module, at least until they figure out it's not in chronological order.

I did flip through the whole print edition to check for other instances, and only found those two.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just curious if any of the above (here and here, specifically) might find their way into a future update. I'm enjoying the Atlas.