10.1.1 crashes

bcordoba

The last few versions of Accordance have been very buggy and I need it to be stable so this is a big RANT.

I am using Accordance 10.1.1 on Mac OS 10.8.2 intel core i7, 8 GB DDR3 and 500GB Flash drive.

Accordance,

- crashes if you load a workspace (even one that was created by Accordance 10.1.1). The program crashes immediately after you move the mouse.

With a new workspace the crashes do not occur.

- Copying hebrew text out of the program does not always work. Sometimes a double copy is required before pasting. This is the return of an old bug.

Benoît

I had 4 or 5 crashes in a row this afternoon. Most were when I was editing a User Notes entry. Once when all I did was hold down the cmd key for what Accordance thought was too long. This is not a normal thing for me. I'll try rebooting tomorrow and see if things improve.

Benoît, I am very sorry for your crashes. Trust us, we try very hard to eliminate bugs as fast as possible. We haven't generally felt that the last few versions were very buggy, but that there are a couple of bugs that seem to occur very regularly for a couple of our users, that we haven't been able to reproduce just yet.

In your case, the only reports I've seen you post about the bugginess of recent versions are the two issues mentioned here - loading a workspace and the double copy.

For the workspace crash, I am unable to reproduce it. Could you .zip up (compress) and attach the workspace that crashes for you here? Or, for any of these crashes has there been a crash report, or any messages in the console?

For the double copy, we generally eliminated this problem a couple of years ago, so this is the first time we've heard of it since then (and your earlier report). Do you happen to recall the steps you take in general that occur before the copy attempt?

Julie, for your crashes, what type of things were going on in the User Notes? Just typing, changing text styles, adding links, saving/recalling, etc.? Also, did any of these crashes have crash reports or console messages at all?

Joel - One of the crashes gave me the option to send info to Apple. I did that.

Mostly I was editing a user note, sometimes pasting a clip from a Tool into the note.

I've rebooted since then, and no crashes at all today. I also repaired permissions. When this kinda stuff happens, I start with the basics. I will post again if I can figure out the trigger.

Hi ya,

Having just installed Accordance 10 I am watching some of these issues here though I've not seen this one yet. If these crashes are of the type where the program windows simply disappear and the application exits requiring you to restart it I would expect there to be an OS crash dump log. This can be very helpful to developers as it can contain routine names and the like that might help in getting to a place in the code to examine for a possible problem. It will also likely give some idea of what might be being done when the problem is hit. I've not done this kind of analysis on Mac's before but I do it all the time on Linux. So I looked up the info on the web and it appears that a crash log should be present in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. I checked my own directory and found such logs for a Firefox crash. I am guessing that Accordance failures of this type ought to produce such logs. In any case it would be worth a quick look to see.

Thx

D

Thanks for the help Joel,

attached are two workspaces that have crashed. One was saved under 10.1 and the other in 10.1.1 (the filenames will indicate which).

I can make "Jonah 10-1" crash every single time I open it if I move my mouse over the hebrew text in the diagramming panel (any of them).

The exact same thing happens in workspace "Jonah 10-1-1" which is a workspace I created in 10.1.1

This does not happen if you open a new workspace and create a new diagram, but it happens every time I save the workspace and reopen it. Every time!

The "recover.png" is the splash screen I get after the program crashes and I click on the dock icon to restart Accordance.

-------------------------------

As for the double copy. My general procedure is to highlight some BHS or HMT (I have both; maybe that is useful to know) and then copy it into Mellel. I then write some things in my paper ( I may switch to a different keyboard to type some hebrew) and then I go back to Accordance to highlight another word and then paste it. It is then that I don't have the text I need. The letters are in the wrong order and with different characters.

By the way, this may be unrelated but maybe not. In the diagramming window, if I select the "A" text box with arial 12pt font selected the box once dropped into the diagramming pane, has the characters writing from right to left. Only after I click away do they appear from left to right (english keyboard is being used of course).

Also, a previous bug we had talked about in diagramming is still there. When I click and select a different font size, previous font size selection have a check mark.

I have tried repeatedly and I cannot reproduce the double copy bug. So far it works well. I will keep an eye for it and let you know what I was doing if it appears again.

Thank you for the help.

Benoît

workspace-cordoba-crash in 10-1-1.zip

post-17857-0-52993700-1355195842_thumb.png

Negatives aren't that helpful, but I have no issues with either of these workspaces

Thanks for posting the workspaces, Benoît. I've been able to reproduce your diagram crash, and it should be all fixed for 10.1.2. The bug has to do with loading the instant details for a diagram, if it hasn't been loaded elsewhere first. So, if you need an immediate workaround, mouse over some bible text to load the instant details properly, and then your diagram shouldn't crash. But, regardless, it'll be fixed for 10.1.2.

Thanks again for the reports on the diagram text direction and checkmarks, those will also be fixed for 10.1.2.

And please keep me posted about the Copy bug, if you are able to reproduce it so we can start narrowing it down.