Video out/mirroring with iPad2 & iOS 4.3?

Rod Decker

I thought there had been a discussion re. Accordance's lack of video out to an external monitor/projector with the original iPad, but I can't seem to find it now. With today's announcements of iPad2 and iOS 4.3, do you anticipate that the video out options will improve? I read on Apple's site that:

Video mirroring is new for iPad and for every app, web page, presentation, video, movie, or photo you want to show a big audience. Just plug in the Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter....

That's at http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ (near the bottom, right hand col).

That seems to imply that "every app" will have video mirroring capability. Am I reading that correctly? I sure hope so, for that will make it usable in the classroom. I delayed buying the original iPad, but am now seriously considering the iPad2.

I thought there had been a discussion re. Accordance's lack of video out to an external monitor/projector with the original iPad, but I can't seem to find it now. With today's announcements of iPad2 and iOS 4.3, do you anticipate that the video out options will improve? I read on Apple's site that:

That's at http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ (near the bottom, right hand col).

That seems to imply that "every app" will have video mirroring capability. Am I reading that correctly? I sure hope so, for that will make it usable in the classroom. I delayed buying the original iPad, but am now seriously considering the iPad2.

Looks like video mirroring will only be supported on iPad 2 and based on the initial discussions in the Apple Developer forums I don't think I'll have to add anything to the application for it to work.

Scott.

Looks like video mirroring will only be supported on iPad 2 and based on the initial discussions in the Apple Developer forums I don't think I'll have to add anything to the application for it to work.

Scott.

That's good news. When you have a chance to test that (or hear anything more definite from the dev forums), could you let us know what to expect? But your initial answer just might cost me a few hundred dollars! :) (OK, I guess $500 isn't "a few"!)

Won't be able to test it unless (or until) I get an iPad 2 to test with. :)

Scott.

I hate when people overlook a great new feature in their desire for something more. So first, let me say, I think the mirroring of the video display will be very useful for me.

But I really think it would be cool if this could be done wirelessly. I know there is an App. that will allow you to stream iTune files (to an AppleTV connected to an external display). But I don't know of any App. that would do this with whatever is being viewed on the iPad (like a Keynote presentation).

I think to be able to do this would be awesome. Just imagaine someone moving around with an iPad in their hand—teaching preaching, sharing, demonstrating, whatever—with "no strings attached" while the image is projected on a big flat panel TV or giant overhead screen!

Maybe somebody knows how this could be done. If so, please, do tell . . .

Tom

There was a new application called McTivia which was shown at macworld which is supposed to do this. Right now it is sold out and on backorder -- actually this is for macbook; I don't know if it would work with ipad.

Just picked up my iPad2 tonight. Unfortunately, they were out of stock on the accessories such as the VGA adapter. I'll report back once I get my hands on one to try it. From what I've been reading, however, it should work "out of the box" for any app on the iPad2.

Video mirroring does indeed work with the iPad 2. You can launch Accordance, and it will project - or you can use an external monitor. So, it can now be used in the classroom.

(Forget about self-denial, and renunciation of materialism, in Lent! I waited in line for an hour on Friday night. I don't even feel guilty!)

You need to get a VGA adapter.

I'm doing a Mounce-style "Baby Greek" course for some folks, and this will be really good. Even better, when more of the Accordance desktop features make it to iOS.

The iOS version of Accordance is still rather awkward for extensive word study, though.

Hopefully, the developers will enable video out for those poor souls who have the original iPad. GoodReader has had video out, so I know it's possible.

The VGA adapter (and the HDMI adapter) both work with the original iPad too.

I can confirm that it works, too. I taught Sunday at church and will be teaching tonight at IWU with the iPad and a projector.

Sunday was kind of my test run, and it worked great. In fact, after teaching with the first gen iPad for the entire last year at church, I had one member ask "What's that?" this past Sunday when the Home Screen of my iPad 2 briefly appeared on screen.

I have the VGA adapter, not the HDMI adapter as I don't have anything with an HDMI input that I regularly connect to. I'm certain that eventually we'll see more projectors with HDMI, but right now, all of them that I ever use have VGA.

My television at home has HDMI, but again, I don't have much need to connect my iPad to it. However, just for sake of testing, I did connect my iPad to the VGA connection on my television and it worked great, too. The picture was extremely crisp.

The VGA adapter (and the HDMI adapter) both work with the original iPad too.

But not with full mirroring of every app.

• 5 weeks later...

Would it be true that you could use "fast switching" between Accordance and say, Keynote, so that you can use both programs easily in a presentation? Perhaps this seems redundant, but since there is no copy/paste yet in the Accordance app, it might allow a presentation to be set up and run on the iPad 2 without access to a computer. Good news for those who wish to travel light.

Thanks for any thoughts or experience you can share.

Would it be true that you could use "fast switching" between Accordance and say, Keynote, so that you can use both programs easily in a presentation? Perhaps this seems redundant, but since there is no copy/paste yet in the Accordance app, it might allow a presentation to be set up and run on the iPad 2 without access to a computer. Good news for those who wish to travel light.

Thanks for any thoughts or experience you can share.

Yes, I do this all the time. If you're in Keynote, simply double-tap the home button, pulling up a list of your recently access items. I've found it best to prepare the app you're going to ahead of time. For instance, the other night, we were covering the Book of Revelation in the NT Survey class I was teaching. In our discussion of apocalyptic literature, I wanted to expose my students to other apocalyptic literature. So, I had previously selected a particular chapter in 1 Enoch in the Accordance app and had it ready. So, while in Keynote, I quickly switched to Accordance and then I switched back afterwards.

Yes, I do this all the time. If you're in Keynote, simply double-tap the home button, pulling up a list of your recently access items. I've found it best to prepare the app you're going to ahead of time. For instance, the other night, we were covering the Book of Revelation in the NT Survey class I was teaching. In our discussion of apocalyptic literature, I wanted to expose my students to other apocalyptic literature. So, I had previously selected a particular chapter in 1 Enoch in the Accordance app and had it ready. So, while in Keynote, I quickly switched to Accordance and then I switched back afterwards.

Ok, I have to ask this question, although it will surely show me to be rather dense:

What is the advantage of the iPad for lecturing with Keynote over my Macbook with the remote? It looks to me that the iPad with the VGA cable will restrict my movement (I like to move about some when I lecture). In contrast, the remote that comes with the Macbooks allows me to move about.

Am I missing something?

(And to be clear that I'm not just being irritating

Ok, I have to ask this question, although it will surely show me to be rather dense:

What is the advantage of the iPad for lecturing with Keynote over my Macbook with the remote? It looks to me that the iPad with the VGA cable will restrict my movement (I like to move about some when I lecture). In contrast, the remote that comes with the Macbooks allows me to move about.

Am I missing something?

Simply the convenience of traveling light.

I used to carry a bag with my laptop (and all cords and accessories) and often another bag for books I needed in a class.

Now, I often walk in with only my iPad (and a VGA adapter in my pocket) and perhaps my Kindle. And I can work from as little as that. I can have my slides, notes, and even textbook in one device. Or if I need my notes or textbook while the iPad is connected to a projector, I have have them on my Kindle.

It's a minimalist approach that works quite well for me as I don't have to lug around a bunch of bags with me. At least not when I can help it.

I hate when people overlook a great new feature in their desire for something more. So first, let me say, I think the mirroring of the video display will be very useful for me.

But I really think it would be cool if this could be done wirelessly. I know there is an App. that will allow you to stream iTune files (to an AppleTV connected to an external display). But I don't know of any App. that would do this with whatever is being viewed on the iPad (like a Keynote presentation).

I think to be able to do this would be awesome. Just imagaine someone moving around with an iPad in their hand

I don't know of any current app that will allow that. However, I have submitted a request to Apple that they enable this feature on the iPad 2. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Perhaps Apple could sell more Apple TVs this way! :)

I hear the more request for a feature Apple gets, the more chance there is that they will consider it... Just sayin'.

I think Jobs hinted at Keynote being able to display to an AppleTV wirelessly in a response to an e-mail that showed up on the the rumor sites... he just said something like it will all be coming soon. If the video mirroring of the iPad2 also did that, it would be pretty awesome. Another option, much less elegant (also showed up on some of the Mac news sites), is where some people home-built a WHDMI (wireless HDMI) unit to attach to an iPad to transmit the HDMI. I'm sure one way or the other, we're going to see this stuff happen... hopefully it won't be too long.

I think Jobs hinted at Keynote being able to display to an AppleTV wirelessly in a response to an e-mail that showed up on the the rumor sites... he just said something like it will all be coming soon. If the video mirroring of the iPad2 also did that, it would be pretty awesome. Another option, much less elegant (also showed up on some of the Mac news sites), is where some people home-built a WHDMI (wireless HDMI) unit to attach to an iPad to transmit the HDMI. I'm sure one way or the other, we're going to see this stuff happen... hopefully it won't be too long.

"From your lips to God's ear!" :D

From what I understand, neither current wifi speeds nor Bluetooth transmits data fast enough to show realtime mirroring of a computer screen--whether on a traditional computer or something like an iPad. Technologies like Airplay use buffering and usually the actual resolution being streamed is not identical to what's on the screen. So what this means is that the best that could be offered in regard to wireless mirroring would look something about like the experience if you've ever used iChat screen sharing or something similar. It would be a lower resolution and movement would not be smooth. No smooth screen transitions in Keynote, choppy video, etc.

There are 3rd party solutions that are often used by those running presentations from their computers and need to be wireless, but these use different radio technologies than what's available natively in any computer or iPad. There is an attachment connected to the computer and then another connected to the television or projector being used to receive the signal. I don't think any of these solutions work with the iPad currently because right now, the iPad's only form of input/output is the 30 pin connector.

I'm certain that eventually we'll have this kind of technology with the iPad, but I don't see it happening this year or probably even next year.

BTW, here is a link to one of those stories I was referring to:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/13/steve-mail-says-keynote-11-to-have-airplay-apple-tv-capabiliti/

Also, remember that an iPad is only 1024x768 rez, so it isn't like trying to stream 1080p or the screen of a typical PC. I'd say streaming of a video or the screen of the iPad would be harder than Keynote with a few transitions, but I don't think either should be that hard. Also, I think the iPad could hardware compress it and the AppleTV would decode, so the amount of data wouldn't be has high as we might think.

Also, on the WHDMI thing, I'm guessing they used the HDMI adapter Apple sells, so no problem with the 30pin dock connector. Certainly a 'hack' solution though.

Meanwhile, check out this homemade solution: You Tube Video

Here's a discussion of the gear used in the video: Gear

Have fun! ;)

• 1 month later...

I don't know of any current app that will allow that. However, I have submitted a request to Apple that they enable this feature on the iPad 2. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Perhaps Apple could sell more Apple TVs this way! :)

I hear the more request for a feature Apple gets, the more chance there is that they will consider it... Just sayin'.

Well, if I am reading this MacWorld article right, then we got it! (http://www.macworld....11/06/ios5.html). To quote from the section entitled: "There's More!" the author says:

"According to Forstall, those are just a sampling of new features in iOS 5. He showed a slide packed with several others, including AirPlay mirroring to your Apple TV."

I believe the context of this when it was shared at the WWDC keynote was EVERYTHING on iPad is mirrored to AppleTV.

Anyone have any additional information on this?

Tom

Anyone have any additional information on this?

Tom

Hi Tom,

It was mentioned during the WWDC keynote presentation. I'm sure this will work fine, then, for Accordance. One question that still remains for me, is what happens for Keynote presentations. I'd want more than 'mirroring' for that. I'd want the ability to have the controls and speaker notes up on the iPad, and then output the presentation itself through Airplay to the AppleTV. While I'd guess this would be obvious and work that way.... the original version of iOS Keynote was lacking in some things so basic, that I won't assume anything from that dev group at Apple.

Anyway, this is really great news for anyone on iOS that gives presentations. All one would need is the iPad, the AppleTV, and maybe a cable.... and you are free to roam and present! The only issue might be that the AppleTV only has HDMI, I think. I'm guessing there are a lot of projectors that don't have HDMI... so that might mean also bringing a projector. Of course, many places don't have good projectors if they have one at all, so that might be often required anyway.

The video mirroring is shown around the 3:55 mark in Apple's video about iOS 5 (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios). Forstall does specifically say "ipad 2", so it might not be an option for some other ios devices.

Archived