Question About "Set Analysis Display"

davidmedina

I am watching a tutorial by Mounce and he mentions the following set up:

He did the following search in the Mounce NT: * <AND> [Range John 3:1-15]

And he set up the Analysis as follows

Sort - Count Down

Count- Importance.

What does that results means?

What kind of information does the other Count options gives me? How do I interpret the results? Like Frequency, uniqueness, etc.

These are all explained in the Help files, in this section: Biblical Research and Analyses > Analyzing Your Search Results > Analysis > Analysis

and here: Comprehensive Reference > Dialog Boxes > Set XX Display > Set Analysis Display Dialog Box for Non-Tagged Texts

• Count Pop-up Menu: Lets you choose the statistical method by which each form is counted. You can choose from:
  • Number displays the total number of "hits" (times each word appears) in the current search range.
  • Frequency identifies the words which appear most frequently in the current search range. This number shows the number of hits per 1000 words in the search range.
  • Uniqueness identifies those words which are more or less unique to the current search range. This number is computed by dividing the frequency of hits in the search range by the frequency of verses containing this word in the entire text.
  • Importance identifies those words which are most important in the current search range. This number is computed by multiplying the number of hits in the search range by the uniqueness of each word (as defined above).
  • None displays the words without any count.

Thanks Helen, I'll take a look.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if you could explain the formula behind the "importance" aspect. Also, is this meant to show how meaningful a collocation is?