Universal Resource Identifiers for BDAG & HALOT

spencer.

Hi,

I'm having trouble using a URI with BDAG and HALOT.

accord://search/BDAG;Entry?λογος

But it didn't work.

Is that because the accents and everything have to be right?

Is there a better modifier to use than "Entry"?

Or is "BDAG" not the right term to point to the module?

If this will work, it will really help with using Accordance and Quicksilver.

Thanks!

It looks like the best way to accomplish this is

accord://search/BDAG?λογος

accord://search/HALOT?אל

Hope this is helpful!

spencer,

you are so right that the URI protocol is making all sorts of new automation possible. (The new OSX Services use the URI protocol, actually.) I'll be posting Applescript and Quicksilver info on how to use in good time.

As for your search, you have to specify the correct search field as you see it in the field drop down list in Accordance for whatever tool you're searching. It's not "Entry", but "Greek Entry". And, if you don't specify, the tool will look for the appropriate field, the first one that finds a match, I believe, which is why you're line is working without specifying a field.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe,

Also, you'll need to put the %20 (standard url space encoding reference) in any search field item that requires a space. Example:

accord://search/BDAG;Greek%20Entry?λογος

OR

accord://search/BDAG;English%20Gloss?word

OR

accord://search/HALOT;Hebrew%20Entry?אל

This also applies to inserting scripture references. Sometimes it will be automatic (depending on the program), otherwise you'll have to do it manually.

accord://read/ESV?Mark%201:41
Edited by spencer.

Even though I saw the update details for the windows version of accordance, I have no idea what these Universal Resource Identifiers are or how they work or how to use them! Am I alone in this??

Perhaps a webinar or podcast on how to use this stuff would be advisable?

• Like 1

Even though I saw the update details for the windows version of accordance, I have no idea what these Universal Resource Identifiers are or how they work or how to use them! Am I alone in this??

Perhaps a webinar or podcast on how to use this stuff would be advisable?

Gordon,

The Universal Resource Identifiers work like a URL (you can actually paste it in a browser URL window and it will work).

On the Mac, anywhere that you can click a URL you can also click a URI such as in a Word document or on a PDF.

Hey Gordon,

There was a doc in the beta. I assumed it was moved to the documentation when 10.4.3 was released. It is mentioned in the new features. A quick check of the online doc - oh, the online doc is not updated to 10.4.3 yet. Ok, try a search in the 10.4.3 doc with your install for links or accord: and see. I am not at my installation right now, sorry.

Its pretty whizzy stuff though. I have footnotes in a LibreOffice doc. that can click straight through to BDAG def. for Greek. Very nice.

Thx

D

I'd like to see something in simple, layman's terms! No computer jargon please! Just show me how it works for us simple folks :-)

OK, pinching the example above from Spencer, if you can enter this into a Word doc or similar thing (like LibreOffice which I use or Pages) and mark it as a hypertext link in whatever way that word processor does it, you will be able to click on it, in the document, and it will pop Accordance up and search BDAG for the word logos : accord://search/BDAG?λογος

Thx

D

Gordon,

Lay translation. Links that you see in web pages are called URL links. In your web browser, the web page address is a URL.

A URI is the same thing, for your purposes. (The change from URL to URI just means that it can link to things other than internet web pages.)

Folks can now share links that open up things in Accordance. The link will begin with accord: instead of http: that you're used to seeing in your web browser.

So, you can now have a web page (or a PDF or a word document or an email, etc) that has a specially formatted link in it that when you click on the link, instead of opening a web page (such as opening a bible text on biblegateway), it will open the link in Accordance.

For instance, this link will open your default text and lookup a verse in John:

accord://read?John_11:35

You can see the help file here:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/using_links_common_tasks.htm

Note that for security reasons, non-web page links in a web forum like this are nullified, so you'll have to copy and paste into your web browser address bar to see it in action.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

Thanks. I was able to copy an example from the blog and paste it into a document on OpenOffice.and then turn it into a hyperlink which works and takes me to accordance.

Now how do I create such links on my own? What's the "language" that I have to use?

Joe,

I copied and pasted the link in your posting into my chrome but it doesn't work

The help document will get you started on the different formatting to create your own.

Gordon, you saying that:

accord://read?John_11:35 

doesn't work when pasted into your in your browser address bar? I would for sure restart Chrome, and maybe even your computer, before testing, to make sure the app has registered the new addressing protocol.

Joe,

No. the help file that you recommended doesn't work. The accord" file does take me to accordance!

ah, good lesson for you to be more explicit.

Find it yourself in Accordance Help. the topic in the index is:

Hi Gordon,

That link is not correct - The "Program%20Files" should be "Program%20Files%20(x86)". Accordance install as a 32 bit app. OR at least it does by default.

Where did you get that link from ?

Actually I just realised this is not quite correct - its correct if you are on Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. But I don't know what machine you are on. The link might be correct there. The thing to check is look for the C:\Program%20Files\Oaktree\Accordance\Resources\Accordance%20Help\Default.htm using Windows Explorer. BTW the %20 is an encoding for a single blank space in the directory name.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

On Windows, shouldn't it not have a 'file:///' in front? Shouldn't it just start with 'C:\'?

Actually file:/// is recognised by the RFC and this URL when adjusted to add (x86) works on my box from Firefox.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Daniel,

I got the link you asked about when I went manually to the Accordance Help file following Joe Weaks' suggestion and going to
"automating tasks with links".

The address bar shows the link that I cited in my message here.

I am using a PC with windows 7.

Ok Gordon I cannot repro. that link in my installation. I had wondered if there was a bug in the help somewhere but I cannot find it. I went to the same index entry in the help and found that it includes the (x86) piece in my case, and it works fine. If you try the link the way I modified it does that work ?

Thx

D