Improving the "Reading Experience" on Accordance iOS

Timothy Jenney

It is very cool on the iPhone (beta version).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this quite fits this thread, but for me one of the distinct differences between 'search/study' mode and 'reading' (and I include here reading out loud in pastoral care settings) is that you want to be able to browse through and quickly jump to some favourite passages without necessarily remembering words or references to search for, let alone which version uses the particular word etc. That is, a system of bookmarks is required. It doesn't need to be complex but a folder system would be handy. If you want a model, I quite happily use BibleXpress on iOS, though I'm sure many Bible Readers have something similar.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

+1 for pagination. I just bought several books that I had intended to read through rather than simply use as reference tools and the lack of pagination makes the experience awkward. Thanks

• 5 years later...

I would love the ability to create multiple workspaces for quick searches with preset windows.  Is there a way to trick the software into doing this?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Yep! Scroll up/down for reading, swipe left/right for changing (or adding) workspaces.

This would mean you could have multiple passages open and flick between them.

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 3

Yep! Scroll up/down for reading, swipe left/right for changing (or adding) workspaces.

+1

+1 I would love to be able to have multiple workspaces open at the same time.

But don't forget we have to use one gesture for the upcoming Info Pane for iOS B)

Greetings

Fabian

But don't forget we have to use one gesture for the upcoming Info Pane for iOS B)

Personally, I've never found a used or the info pane. I'd rather be able to have multiple passages open at the same time and flick between them. 

Perhaps the gesture for info pane could be triple tap, swipe up, swipe down, then shake.  :P

On a small screen multiple workspaces are only so useful.

The changes I'd like to see on the mobile app are:

Easier Bible navigation: at the moment it's very cumbersome. Tap to call up the menu bar, tap to open the the Bible grid/list, tap to open Bible book, tap for chapter, tap for verse.

Hiding the top navigation bar doesn't save any space so why do it? And why have the version prominent? I'd rather have the verse picker there. (The bottom bar makes way for text so hiding that in Bibles is a good move.) Make the top navigation bar fixed with an attractive UI similar to the bottom bar in resources.

Opening resources is worse: tap to reveal library icon, tap to enter recently used, tap to library if the resource isn't there, tap to section, tap to open resource. 

Then try to get back into the Bible. 

Sigh.

I understand why the phone and tablet apps are the same, there's only so much coding resource the company has. But the tablet app really needs to be designed for tablet, not phone. This is especially true for navigation and I'd also like to see the ability to read text in two (or more) columns, as well. It's a big wall of text on the 10.5" screen.

And, of course, the aforementioned info pane. 

One of the old mobile-first Bible apps has a sublime UI and I'd like to see Accordance take its cues from that where possible.

Opening resources is worse: tap to reveal library icon, tap to enter recently used, tap to library if the resource isn't there, tap to section, tap to open resource.

Then try to get back into the Bible.

Sigh.

This is my number one frustration from day one for such a great resource!!!!!!

I use the iPad daily. Some would say too much.

And Much of the coding is already done!!!!!

If I open a text in the second pane I can easily switch between reference documents from the list at the top.

However, open the self same reference resource on its own, to change, as you say, I have to go back through recently opened, library and reference tool. Even on a 9.7” screen, I still find it easier to open one tool, particularly commentaries or history or theology books.

It shouldn’t matter what I open, I should be able to change to other resources in that library group from the top drop down, just as I can with text, devotional or reference IF opened as a second window.

;o(

Edited by ukfraser

We've long wanted to add more features to our tablet apps (You should see our list!), but have to weigh programming priorities. We just finished a huge project bringing Accordance to Android tablets, then turned right around and added features for BW switchers to our Mac/PC software. Features like the one you mentioned (or better!) are on our list.

Meanwhile, I will tell you what I tell everyone who prefers to work on a tablet: buy a Windows tablet.

It's hard to give out that advice, for I am a long-time Apple supporter. However, Windows ported the full version of its software to tablets, so the regular version of Accordance will work on them. If Apple would do the same for its tablets, we wouldn't have to add features one-by-one. We'd just install the full version of Accordance on those tablets. We had all hoped for such a thing with the iPad Pro, but were disappointed. There's no sign that Apple is going to do it anytime in the near future either.

• Like 1

Dr j, I agree with what you say and totally support the android and bw initiatives. We also miss Chris Rockwell.

I also Totally expect when we get the next major release, that it will be better than we can imagine (interlinear took what we wanted and blew me away with all the added bits I hadn’t imagined) but we have had a number of small increments with other features and readability hasn’t really been touched. For me, it’s more making the interface consistent rather than adding a new feature, we have it in dual pane, so why not in single?

Yes, it’s a shame the iPad Pro doesn’t have a better os but windows tablets are still a bit of a brick and I couldn’t imagine sitting on a recliner with a pot of coffee with one.

For the times I need the full functionality, I still prefer my mbp to going back to windows, one of the joys of retirement, handing back my windows work laptop!!!!!!

;o)

And while I moan, it’s the only software I recommend and have deleted virtually everything else from the iPad.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

I actually considered a Windows tablet but the iPad pro is best at what I need a tablet for in terms of size and software (apart from Accordance!).

• Like 2