Investing in UBS Handbook - good idea?

Unix

Accordance is designed to make all of the resources work together. Examples of this include looking up commentary on verse, looking up words in a lexicon or bible dictionary, finding a word in a dictionary and searching for everywhere it occurs in in the bible, and finding all mentions of certain verses in a systematic theology book. The more resources you have, the greater the power of that interoperability. If you use multiple software packages, you'll miss out on some of that interoperability.

But you don't have to buy anything. Just decide what resources you would find helpful. If a particular book is of no interest to you, it doesn't matter if you can search in it. There are lots of great resources available for the Accordance platform, but that's not the question you've been asking. If you want to know more about other interesting resources, ask away!

Two collections I use a lot are the graphics bundle, as Rick mentioned, and the Essential IVP collection.

Congratulations to Your 400th post Jonathan! I have PLENTY of that kind of reference material in my current software, I'm afraid. Besides the price seems high: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=GraphicsBundle The Essential IVP collection is probably cheap so perhaps it would be worthwhile. Additionally I have somewhat much commentaries but I'm sometimes buying more commentaries. Accordance seems to have few of my favourite sets.

Two collections I use a lot are the graphics bundle, as Rick mentioned, and the Essential IVP collection.

What would be other interesting resources? I will also probably be studying 1¼ years of Theology full-time (probably I'll read it part-time though) including Anabaptism. Many of the required books in the studies, are available in my current software.

I looked at a podcast about it now, and although I don't have that many dictionaries the ones contained in it (some of which I don't even like) seem a bit superfluous and it's too expensive:

and the Essential IVP collection.

If you're interested in theology, you might enjoy the writings of the church fathers or the bible study collection which includes lots of bible translations, a selection of bible dictionaries, the excellent Tyndale commentary, and several resources from a baptist/wesleyan tradition (Wesley's notes, Clarke's theology, some writings of DL Moody). In fact, the best deals are on the main bundle collections. But honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest since you've dismissed every suggestion so far by saying it's too expensive. Books are not free. Virtually all of the resources Accordance offers are cheaper than buying the print equivalents, and I find the digital versions to be much more useful, but you will have to spend money to get them.

Btw, Accordance offers a discount for students, which might help you.

It can be a bit hard to suggest something to me because You might not guess what denominations I like, what I already have and so fort. No-one has suggested all that much yet so no wonder. I've tried to use the search myself but it seems hard to use - usually there comes many pages of search results and it's hard to see whether the resource is in Accordance. I've tried searching through Google too and that's sometimes better.

But I don't think it would be a great idea if I would start listing all my theological preferences and my library. What I can say is that I read a lot of critical theology (not all schools though), that I'm not at all interested in philosophy, but I am interested in psychology.

I have the end-of-19th century translation (Schaff, Roberts) of the Church Fathers both as Protestant Edition and as Catholic Edition. Does Accordance have recent translations? Recent ones would probably be expensive though so ... Perhaps if Accordance has a really good version of the Apostolic Fathers (my current software doesn't have)?

I have practically all the Bible versions I want to have, but I don't have NETS (my current software doesn't even offer it - I suspect that's because of theological reasons), Biblia Hebraica Quinta, Göttingen Septuagint Sirach, and the Bible in the local language over here.

I don't think the Tyndale commentary is that good. Sometimes I buy more commentary volumes and rarely whole sets, but I'm quite fastidious. I don't want Baptist nor Wesleyan resources - I have a few but little use for them - they are just for contrasting.

I'm not going to buy a whole lot when entering college. And the books I will buy are unlikely to be in Accordance:

If you're interested in theology, you might enjoy the writings of the church fathers or the bible study collection which includes lots of bible translations, a selection of bible dictionaries, the excellent Tyndale commentary, and several resources from a baptist/wesleyan tradition (Wesley's notes, Clarke's theology, some writings of DL Moody). In fact, the best deals are on the main bundle collections. But honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest since you've dismissed every suggestion so far by saying it's too expensive. Books are not free. Virtually all of the resources Accordance offers are cheaper than buying the print equivalents, and I find the digital versions to be much more useful, but you will have to spend money to get them.

Unix, I recognize your user name from another company's forum. I would suggest you do two things:

1. download the trial version of Accordance, and

2. look at the "Store" on the main Accordance site to see what volumes they have for your particular theological bent.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• Like 1

My machine is a bit slow Windows so preferably not. I'll check a few books towards the end of next week. Right now I have a lot of schoolwork - two tests next week (Science).

1. download the trial version of Accordance, and

2. look at the "Store" on the main Accordance site to see what volumes they have for your particular theological bent.

If you use a Windows machine, you can only get Accordance (at this point) using an emulator anyway. Are you not on a Mac? Accordance runs best on a Mac, though they have a Windows released scheduled for (some time in) 2013.

No, I haven't had a Mac since half my life. I'm not in any hurry to use UBS Handbooks:

If you use a Windows machine, you can only get Accordance (at this point) using an emulator anyway. Are you not on a Mac? Accordance runs best on a Mac, though they have a Windows released scheduled for (some time in) 2013.

I don't think I'm being avaricious. I will study but not get a student discount. I'm not a pastor nor studying to become one so I will not get that discount either.

yesterday I returned 241 of the books in my current software. But I bought Göttingen. Celebrating International Septuagint day (which was yesterday).

Edited by Unix

Well I'm still waiting for opinions on what I should do, what I should add and such.

... I will study but not get a student discount...

Well, if you haven't tried already check this Accordance Product out:

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=DISC-S1

"Full-time students are invited to apply for a discount. We just need to know the school you attend and the course of study."

{deleted}

Edited by Unix

There are a variety of threads where people have suggested their favorite modules, such as here, here, and here. We've made several good suggestions already that you've dismissed, so it might be easier to get specific recommendations if you clarified what you are looking for. Or you can browse through the store and ask about specific things you find interesting. Or you can call the sales team and discuss your needs.

I have taken a denomination test, the results are at: http://bildplats.se/image/view/4043 ... now in reality I'm not close to JW of course. The RCC came up high probably because I believe in Purgatory in Afterlife.
Perhaps: Eerdmans Companion to the Bible, The $30
... Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Eerdmans-Companion-Bible-Gordon-Fee/dp/0802838235/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360507223&sr=1-1&keywords=eerdmans+companion+fee

And I noticed LSJ (that I mentioned) has come out now and it's a few $ cheaper than in my current software: Liddell & Scott Complete 9th Edition (no supplement)
It would be interesting to see whether Accordance has any worthwhile psychology and counseling titles

And: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6761

There are a variety of threads where people have suggested their favorite modules, such as here, here, and here. We've made several good suggestions already that you've dismissed, so it might be easier to get specific recommendations if you clarified what you are looking for. Or you can browse through the store and ask about specific things you find interesting. Or you can call the sales team and discuss your needs.

I'm not studying full-time right now, only 75%.

If, you do not try, the answer is of course "no". But, if you try you have at least a 50/50 chance, right?

Edited by bkMitchell

I'll call Accordance today and see whether they have psychology.

I'm not that keen on buying a Gk NT, as I expect there to come newer Editions (newer than NA28) that incorporate the Greener-collection, so I'm going to wait.

I haven't got BDAG. I don't want it because I want the next Edition of it instead. One advantage of having two softwares, would be that I could buy the next Edition in whichever software where it is going to be cheaper; on the other hand I would preferably have it in my current software. I'm patient so I can wait for the next Edition and meanwhile I think I'll just about manage with what I have.

It wouldn't be much of a problem to have LSJ in Accordance instead of my current software, as I would use it in a secular uni for classical Gk studies and not Bible studies. Later on, many years from now, I would perhaps need to use it for the Septuagint. Would I do fine without the 1996 supplement?

Having both the Revised English Bible and the NETS in both softwares would be OK, that's not a huge cost, adds value and I'm happy to support them.

What do You think about Eerdmans Companion to the Bible, is it among the best? It's 25% cheaper in Accordance than in my current software.

I tried to look for my favourite Bible dictionary, which is from 1985 but only my current installation has it, not Accordance.

A more relevant question is: what is the chance that I study some of the next times I would need to update the Accordance software?:

If, you do not try, the answer is of course "no". But, if you try you have at least a 50/50 chance, right?

I'm not that keen on buying a Gk NT, as I expect there to come newer Editions (newer than NA28) that incorporate the Greener-collection, so I'm going to wait.

The texts held in the Green Collection may not make it into the apparatus of the Nestle-Aland for years to come, and may not make a meaningful difference in any variants and therefore not be mentioned regardless. I don't think this is a valid reason to wait on a purchase if you will need to use the GNT.

That's what I expect:

the Green Collection may not make it into the apparatus of the Nestle-Aland for years to come

Do You think all of this is a good idea or not?

Hi Unix (I do love the handle)

We love Accordance. I use it because I think it is a wonderful tool, and I work (a little) for Accordance because I think it is a wonderful tool. I don't need the money they pay. I could earn a lot more in other ways over here.

I think it is an unparalleled Biblical text research tool with a growing library of non text resources.

I am a fanboy, there's no doubt, and at the risk of being censured by other fanboys (and girls) I would say, if you are looking to buy Accordance for only the UBS handbooks it doesn't seem sensible to invest in a second software platform.

Just out of interest you say:

I tried to look for my favourite Bible dictionary, which is from 1985 but only my current installation has it, not Accordance.

which dictionary is that?

Harper's Bible Dictionary from 1985. I was wondering if there is any Bible dictionary that is a bit more advanced and presupposes a bit of Gk knowledge? I.e. not AYBD. I find it very hard to find any Bible dictionary that is worth the money. I don't know whether I would find NIBD any good, I haven't seen it - I might go to a library and have a look at it on Friday:

Just out of interest you say:

which dictionary is that?

Edited by Unix

Hi Unix,

it may be over the top for what you are after, but the IVP essentials are excellent, of serious scholarship level. Assume a little Greek and Hebrew, but not too much (in the more scholarly volumes) and are a great price!