Accordance 7 Upgrade Overwrote My Preferences

Mick Matousek

Make sure your preferences are backed up before upgrading. My Accordance preferences were overwritten. Also Accordance 6.9.2 is now damaged and unusable. I guess I'll go restore from backups.

post-17-1148514509_thumb.jpg

Make sure your preferences are backed up before upgrading. My Accordance preferences were overwritten. Also Accordance 6.9.2 is now damaged and unusable. I guess I'll go restore from backups.

I think it's normal. If you install new version in the same folder, how can it remain the same?...

Just my 2 cents...

Guntis

I think it's normal. If you install new version in the same folder, how can it remain the same?...

Just my 2 cents...

Guntis

No. No installer should damage, delete, or replace user files without warning or cancel option.

Guest frgpeter

The image you posted said that Accordance 6.9 could not run. If you upgraded to 7.0, then why are you trying to use 6.9. Perhaps you left the old icon on the Dock. Remove from Dock and place the 7.0 there and launch that.

hth,

G. Peter David

OK, guys, OK!

We are under a lot of pressure with the flood of orders, thank you all. Please be patient with us.

What Accordance 7 does with the Preferences is fully documented in the Setup section of the Help.

The original Accordance settings are left intact so you should be able to continue to use 6.9.2. The only change is that the paths to User Tools and User Notes are remapped. Our beta testers did not have problems with this (apart from having to go through a lot of interim versions).

Then a new set of Accordance Preferences is created in the Accordance folder and copied to each user's Preferences. Also the User Notes and User Tools currently used by Accordance 6 are collected in Modules and then copied to the user's Documents.

Of course it is always a good idea to make backups, but if things are not working right, we will try to work with you to figure out what went wrong and correct it for you and for the future.

Also the User Notes and User Tools currently used by Accordance 6 are collected in Modules and then copied to the user's Documents.

Of course it is always a good idea to make backups, but if things are not working right, we will try to work with you to figure out what went wrong and correct it for you and for the future.

So which set of modules does Accordance use and update now? Ones in the Accordance folder or in the Documents folder?

Please read the Help files: in Classic or version 6 it will use the ones in the Accordance folder, in OS X it will use the ones in Documents.

Please read the Help files: in Classic or version 6 it will use the ones in the Accordance folder, in OS X it will use the ones in Documents.

Several things I am less than happy about:

1) When I opened 7.0 for the first time, my preferences seemed to have been erased. I went through and set up my starting session again, and the rest of them. Helen, telling me that what Accordance does with prefs is documented in the setup section of the help files is not helpful.

2) I am not planning on using 6.9.2 anymore, but I did notice that the installer deleted it. I don't think this is nice installer behavior - and yes, now I know that this is documented in the setup section of the help files.

3) I am confused about various files in the accordance folder and in the documents folder -- and Helen, your note above to see the help files was not helpful.

In the Accordance folder in the documents folder, there are three folders: "Highlights," "User Notes," and "User Tools."

In the Accordance folder of the Applications folder, there is a Preferences folder with two files inside called "User Notes" and "User Tools;" and there is a Modules folder with folders named "Shared Highlights," "Shared User Notes," and "Shared User Tools." Inside these "Shared" folders are exactly the same files as the Accordance folder in the documents folder.

I hate having identical files in different places. Does 7.0 use/update all of them? If not, which ones can I delete?

Thanks.

David

David:

I am sorry you are not happy about my response, queezed in between handling a flood of orders.

As long as you work in OS X and 7 you will only be editing the files in your user Documents. the copies in the Modules folder of Accordance preferences are for backups, and in case you use Classic or version 6. You may delete them.

You should not have lost any of your preferences. The new Preferences are designed to copy all your old settings. If you will call me, I would like to see if I can track down why this happened.

Archived