Apostolic Fathers: Difference between AF and AFL

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I've done some searching on the forums and the website, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the differences between the AF and AFL modules. So far, this is what I have been able to understand:

-The AF modules are based on a more modern scholarship, while AFL is based on Lightfoot's work

-The Greek texts of both versions (AF and AFL) are grammatically tagged

-The AF set includes some Latin texts; I presume that the AF does not?

What is not clear to me is if there are differences in content--by that I mean works included--beyond the presumed issue of Latin works.

My interest is primarily in following up references to the Apostolic Fathers I run into while reading commentaries, etc. on a particular Biblical verse. (i.e. one commentary I was reading on Mark 6 today made reference to the Didache).

My grasp of Greek is fairly elementary, but I would want a tagged text for my purposes. I'm not planning on doing any in-depth work with the Apostolic Fathers on their own at this point.

I'm guessing the AFL set is the best option for me, but it would be helpful to know what I would be missing by choosing it over the AF set?

Lorinda

• 3 weeks later...

I had reason to go looking for an online version of the Didache again today, and that reminded me that I haven't seen an answer to my question here about the Apostolic Fathers.

Lorinda

Sorry, for the delay, we were at the ISBL meetings at the time.

The same books are included in each module. The AF is the Holmes critical edition published by Baker, with extensive notes, a new translation, and the Latin sections where the Greek MSS are missing.

Thanks, Helen. The AF sounds tempting (I like the sound of more extensive notes and a modern translation), but given everything else on my Accordance wishlist and my priorities, it sounds like AFL is my best choice. In either case it will probably need to wait until Christmas, but now I know what to add to my wishlist.

Lorinda

Archived