Search All Bible Results

edjferg

I created a list of favorite Bibles in a "Text Set" to display a verse in each of my favorite translations. The problem is that there is a new tab created for every translation. I also created a set of favorite Bibles in the "Search All" tool, but if I highlight a verse reference and search, then I get 1 window [which I prefer] with a list [which I prefer] but it only reports the book name under each translation. For example, if I highlight 2Cor. 10:5, right click and go to "Search All" and choose from my customized set of favorite translations or "All Bibles" then I get a list of my favorite Bibles that when expanded report 2Corinthians. I can click on that, but a new tab opens again.

So...how can I search for a verse to view in each of my favorite translations and have it report to me in one single tab with multiple panes or in a reference list with each verse displayed, one after the other in a list? I read many post that I thought would lead me to the answer, but every one I found to read ended up going somewhere else with the answer so I still need someones help.

Ed,

You simply want to view the same verse in multiple translations in the same window? All you need to do is open panes for each translation you want in a single search window, then do a verse search for the verses you want to see. If you click the toggle pane icon to the right of the Details button, you'll get a horizontal pane orientation rather than a vertical one if that's what you'd prefer.

I hope this helps.

Yes, if you are looking up a verse, David's solution is best, and you can save your window or workspace so that you can reuse it each time, or even put the workspace into Favorites.

However, you cannot look up a word in multiple translations and have them appear in panes, because panes always show the results of the search in one text, just displayed in different versions. There the best solution is to find the word or phrase in one version, select it and amplify to the Text set. All the versions in which that word or phrase is found will then open and highlight the results.

Hi Ed,

Here is what I think is a stepwise application of the above two posts. Depending on your experience with Accordance, it may make help you to accomplish what David and Helen have voiced above. If you set this up once, it will be there for you to use any time you want...

1- When you start Accordance, what you see is your 'default' workspace. In mine, I have set the ESV as my default translation, and that is the only translation I have on my front tab (which I'll call the 'main tab'). The other panes I have automatically appear on this tab are the ESV notes, ESV crossrefs, and a general Bible commentary. You can set up your main tab with whatever panes you want, and these can obviously be all your favorite translations if you choose. For me, I don't want to always see multiple translations. I want to only be able to see them when I'm interested in comparing texts. So...

2- Open a new tab and put all the translations you like to use for your passage comparisons in separate panes all in this one tab.

3- Ctrl-click on the tab itself and name it whatever you want (for example, "English Texts").

4- Ctrl-click on the tab again and select "Set tab" > "Tie to (name of your main tab)". This keeps this tab synchronized with your main tab all the time.

5- Now whenever you are working in your main tab, as you jump around to different passages in your default text, the "English Texts" tab "jumps" to the same passages behind the scenes. Whenever you desire to compare texts, all you do is click on your "English Texts" tab and they will all be right there. No need to 'search' or 'amplify'.

6- Next, as Helen said, you can save this workspace as whatever you want to call it so you can bring up the whole thing whenever you want.

7- For me, besides this being a saved workspace, I want it to be my 'default session' so that this setup is what opens whenever I start Accordance. To do this, make sure your main tab is frontmost, then select from the menu bar... Accordance> Preferences... next choose "General" in the leftmost pane and click on "Set Default Session" button. Now, whenever you start Accordance, it should open with this setup. Your main tab should be frontmost and ready for you to use. Your "English Texts" tab should be already there waiting for you to switch to should you be in a 'comparing' mood.

I hope this helps.

John

Thank you for the answers. I think the tip about tying one tab to another was good to learn; don't know why I hadn't noticed that before.

I was kind of hoping there was a way to have a report or list of the verse I want to see in my few chosen translations so that I could highlight all of that and copy the text to past into a word document. It is a feature I think I've seen in most other Bible programs I've used before like e-Sword and it is kind of nice to have a verse in different translations in a list like that.

I already knew I could show multiple translations within a tab and do not know why I even asked about that. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me how to do that anyway.

Ed,

Many other Bible programs have some kind of window which creates a composite of different Bible texts, plugging in the text of various versions like you describe. Perhaps we should do that too, but we've historically never mingled multiple texts in the same pane.

However, we do give you the option to print multiple panes in an interleaved format, and with OS X's ability to print to PDF, you could use this as a workaround. To do this, go to File-->Print Settings. In the section labeled "multipane printing", choose None (All Interleaved) in the Columns pop-up. Then click OK to close the dialog box.

The next time you Print, the text of each column will be printed in an interleaved format. If you want to copy rather than print, you could click the Preview button in the print dialog, then copy text from the resulting PDF.

Hope this helps.

That is a good idea. It is a few extra steps but it is a good way to make a copy of a list of verse to the clipboard to then paste in a document. Thank you for your help.

Archived